What to pack for winter months

hedge333

Mouseketeer
Our family has the opportunity to take a trip in February. We have been to WDW in April, June, and October. We have never been in the winter. I'm at a loss of what to pack. It will be me, my husband, my 14dd, and my 11dd. Do we need heavy coats? Are ponchos enough or heavier rain gear? Do we wear jeans, leggings, joggers, shorts? Do we need waterproof shoes? I've read a few blogs and it seems I should pack my entire wardrobe in February. We are flying so I have to be judicious with my packing. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

My family has traveled in February for the past 10 years or so. Weather can range from 85 to 45 within the week. My best advise is to pack in layers. Hoodies and layers instead of heavy jackets (unless the weather a week before dictates otherwise). Hats and gloves make a difference if really cold. Take a little bit of everything, and if necessary, do a quick load of laundry. February is my favorite time to go to Disney!

How you dress may also somewhat be influenced by where you reside. Our trips are usually in February and we're up north. We often leave behind 6 ft of snow at home, so 55-60 degrees in Florida seems almost summer-ish to us so we wear shorts, maybe bringing a pair of long pants and a sweatshirt just in case. However, someone coming from a more southern climate may find 60 degrees to be cold and they are wearing jeans and winter jackets. Yes, we've been the family on a bus in shorts and t-shirts while nearly everyone else has on winter coats with hats and gloves.

How you dress may also somewhat be influenced by where you reside. Our trips are usually in February and we're up north. We often leave behind 6 ft of snow at home, so 55-60 degrees in Florida seems almost summer-ish to us so we wear shorts, maybe bringing a pair of long pants and a sweatshirt just in case. However, someone coming from a more southern climate may find 60 degrees to be cold and they are wearing jeans and winter jackets. Yes, we've been the family on a bus in shorts and t-shirts while nearly everyone else has on winter coats with hats and gloves.

LOL, Lanejudy! We are from way up north, too. We like to visit end of FEb and first of March, but have been in all of February before. When it's 50 in Florida it is heaven to us. We usually have 20 to 40 below zero in the winter, so it's all relative:cold: We do the layers too, and bring a heavy jacket, jeans, and one sweater or long tshirt. Otherwise, it's capri's and short sleeves for us northerners:). There's no way around bringing more clothes to layer at this time of year.

Indeed. It's 55 degrees here (Orlando) today, and I'm in my recliner in jeans, a shirt, a hoodie, and a blanket. :)

Last edited:

It seems as though people are at a loss as to what to pack when coming to WDW in the winter-ish months. I get it, it's Florida... beaches, palm trees, sun, fun, and fruity drinks. Ok, so not always. If you're coming from anywhere north of Florida it's probably going to be warmer than where you're coming from here in Central Florida.
But, it can get pretty chilly here. 60's-70's during the day but 40's or lower when the sun goes down. Luckily those nights in the 30's aren't too plentiful but they do happen. The biggest problem is it's so darn inconsistent you don't know what the weather will be or for how long. We get those 80+ days in the winter too.
So your best bet is to check the weather around three days before you leave and that should give you a fair idea what it will be like for the first few days of the following part of your trip.
Pack clothes that you can layer as it gets cooler in the evening. You can pack shorts, T-shirts and a bathing suit. Put have some long pants and clothes you can add to that will allow you to build on. Hoodies, and maybe even a lined jacket to top off. Gloves and a hat is advisable.
This is our dry season. It doesn't rain much, but it does rain occasionally so bring a poncho that will fit over your layered clothes.
I'm sure I missed something so I'm sure folks can add to the list.
Enjoy..

Thanks for the tips! We'll be going in January and I'm the type of person that gets VERY cranky when it's cold haha. I find my biggest hurtle when comes to dressing warm for theme parks is mostly mental; that is, wearing a puffy winter jacket to go on rides just feels so wrong!

I wish I was the type of person that could just wear a sweater and be totally fine, but I need the whole package: jacket, hat, scarf, tall boots, etc. So I think that also adds to the awkwardness, looking like I'm bundled up for snow when most folks are fine in jeans and a hoodie.

All of the above.
In all seriousness you have to check the weather a week if not only days before coming to have a more accurate forecast. 2 days ago we were at 85 degrees, today we're struggling to make it past 60

This is excellent advice! Check the forecast shortly before you leave, and that will help dictate your packing.

The humidity and wind can make temperatures feel much colder at Disney. What works for me are layers that are easy to pack. Fortunately, many athletic/clothing companies now offer thin base layers for pants and tops, and The North Face and Patagonia in particular have thin hooded jackets that are as warm as thicker puffy coats.

Thin hats, gloves and scarves work great and are easy to stuff into pockets. These usually can be found in the exercise clothing departments at stores like Target (as opposed to their “winter accessories” department). Basically, anywhere that sells cold weather clothing/accessories geared toward runners/hikers/athletes is a good source for WDW necessities.

I'm a northerner as well. TBH the problem I have in Feb is that during the day I am comfortable in shorts and a T Shirt. However, if I stay for late night fireworks, it can get a little chilly even for my blood. I made the mistake of attending Fastasmic one night (MANY years ago when it was open seating) and getting a front row seat. Between the chill in the air and getting soaked by the water jets, I actually got cold.

But there is no way I am going to carry around a jacket ALL DAY until the night, I was (in those days) not willing to go to the hotel mid-day to change and I did not want to rent a locker. So.... I was my own worst enemy. :-)

My family has traveled in February for the past 10 years or so. Weather can range from 85 to 45 within the week. My best advise is to pack in layers. Hoodies and layers instead of heavy jackets (unless the weather a week before dictates otherwise). Hats and gloves make a difference if really cold. Take a little bit of everything, and if necessary, do a quick load of laundry.
We found the same thing to be true in January.

We have been for the past two years in February. I just looked back at our photos from both years and we are all wearing shorts/t-shirts during the day. At night my DH and DS are wearing shorts/long sleeve shirts and I am wearing capri pants, a short sleeved shirt, and brought a light sweatshirt. We had one VERY cold and windy day last year at HS where the guys wore jeans/sweatshirts. I wore leggings and a sweatshirt and had to buy another zip up hoodie. We were all still cold, but it was only that one day. So, I don't think heavy coats or rain gear are necessary, just a few layering items like others have suggested. Enjoy your trip!

Tshirts with hoodies, light weight fleece jacket was our outfit of the day for most of our February trips. We're from PA, so we like the cooler side.
Our 2nd trip we went and Sunday night was 48 degrees, you could tell us Northerners, we had sweatshirts and good to go, others had winter jackets, hats and gloves lol. It was great, 15 minute lines for everything. We even road Splash (back two rows

We are going next week and it is going to be cool. Shorts and T-shirt for me and if I get cold in the evening, there are one or two places I can buy another layer :thumbsup2 . I just hate to carry something.

This has been helpful. I'm really trying to figure out pants for me. Jeans seem too uncomfortable for all day.

We visited one year for spring break the 3rd week of March. The wind was what made things miserable for us. We are from the north and can handle cold, but we do not handle wind well, even here. I’ll pack better for our 2 weeks in January then I did back in March!

do not believe the 10 day forecast. it is complete guess work based on historical AVERAGES. at 3 days is when you can start to trust the weather forecast. Central florida is affected by atlantic and gulf weather patterns. they change evry day.

for a 7 day vacation during the winter. pack for 40-80 degree weather and adjust as needed day by day, or be prepared to buy warmer cloths.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!