What to pack for winter months

If it only gets down to 40 is it an issue to wear tank tops in to nicer restaurants? :rotfl2:

I guess that's one plus of the parks closing by 6/7/8pm.

First time going in January is coming up. Being that we will be dealing with freezing weather daily I expect even low 60s to feel good during the day.

We tend to come down every January; we dress in lightweight layers that can be added/subtracted as needed.

One tip: if you (or a loved one) needs to use a mobility device, at night once the temp drops in the "winter" months, there can actually be a "wind chill" effect when the ECV/wheelchair is moving; fingers, and noses especially get cold. For that reason, I bring along lightweight, warm gloves, and keep a lightweight scarf in my jacket pocket.

For someone especially prone to being cold, or getting chilled easily, a blanket might be called for as well; just make sure that it doesn't drag the ground, or get caught in the wheels!

My family has traveled in February for the past 10 years or so. Weather can range from 85 to 45 within the week.
We have been there twice in February. One day it was in the 50's and we left the park to buy jackets from a nearby Walmart.
wearing a puffy winter jacket to go on rides just feels so wrong!
We were at Dollywood on November 14. When the temperature gets below 60 roller coasters can be pretty cold! I wore my jacket and gloves during those rides.

if you (or a loved one) needs to use a mobility device, at night once the temp drops in the "winter" months, there can actually be a "wind chill" effect when the ECV/wheelchair is moving; fingers, and noses especially get cold. For that reason, I bring along lightweight, warm gloves, and keep a lightweight scarf in my jacket pocket.

For someone especially prone to being cold, or getting chilled easily, a blanket might be called for as well;
My wife used an ECV at Dollywood in November. She is usually very warm blooded, but she needed the blanket we brought in with us when the temp dropped after dark.

1. Check the LOW temp. High 70/Low 60 is a lot warmer than High 70/Low 45. You spend more time near the low temp than at the high temp.
2. Don't plan/pack/decide until 1-2 days before the trip. Then check the forecast.
3. Layers. Can rent locker to store hoodies if it gets too warm.

We are going next Sat and I'm stressing mostly for what to dress my 3 kids in. I've been in Dec before and went to MVMCP in sandals - after about 10 mins I told DH i needed to go back to the hotel to get my ugg boots lol

I'm sitting at my desk in shorts and a T-shirt. My wife however is in jeans and a fleece pullover! LOL
View attachment 541434
Ha that sounds like us..
I never need more than a jacket/sweatshirt.
When we lived in a cold state I would leave my big coat in the car and brave it to the airport door because I did not want to drag it on vacation with me. My biggest issue is the cold only last a few hours so I dont know what to do with the jacket later.

I’m here now. On Saturday I wore shorts and a tee shirt, I was out and about early yesterday (Monday) and wore long undies, leggings, a sweater, fuzzy jacket and, occasionally, a raincoat. I was supposed to go to the 8:00 a.m. opening at AK this morning but it was in the low 40s with a wind chill in the 30s so I opted to wait.

Pack like you're going to Disneyland. So that means chilly/cold in morning and in the evening after the sun goes down, but tolerable/pleasant during the day. Layers that you can take off or put back on.

Layering is your best bet. We went the first week of February one year and I had a “uniform” I packed for each day. Leggings or stretchy skinny jeans (not as heavy as regular jeans), t-shirt, lightweight hoodie or long-sleeve shirt and packable jacket.

We had a stroller and a backpack to stuff the jackets in when we weren’t wearing them. I hate being cold, so I took the jacket every day, but mostly only used it in the morning or evening. I packed similar layers for the kids.

Just wondering what you all do if you are layered? I'm sure when we go in a few weeks it's going to be cold (seems like they've had a cold spell recently) and then warmer during the day. Do you carry something to put your jackets/clothes in if it gets warm enough to remove these items while at the parks?

@mamabunny thanks for the tip about bringing a pair of lightweight gloves. I hadn't thought about that for in the evenings and riding rides.

Just wondering what you all do if you are layered? I'm sure when we go in a few weeks it's going to be cold (seems like they've had a cold spell recently) and then warmer during the day. Do you carry something to put your jackets/clothes in if it gets warm enough to remove these items while at the parks?

@mamabunny thanks for the tip about bringing a pair of lightweight gloves. I hadn't thought about that for in the evenings and riding rides.
I carry a small lightweight compression packing cube. (1/4 size) It smooshes my fleece down small enough to stow away in my crossbody bag.

We (well, DH) carry a lightweight backpack when we have jackets, umbrellas, ponchos etc. that we might need for part of the day.

We are just exiting the stroller years (our cancelled spring break trip would have been our first stroller-free trip). So we’ve always been able to shove stuff in the bottom of it. Going forward, I’m sure we will always have at least a small backpack. I’m just not able to go without some sort of bag.

Let me add that carrying a backpack is much easier now with the new security scanners! No need to take anything out except umbrellas, metal sunglass cases, large battery packs, no one taking all the jackets out and going through all the pockets etc. - just walk right through and you're done!

The 3 in 1 coats are great for this purpose!! You can find them through LL Bean, Lands End, North Face etc. The outer shell is great as a windbreaker. Then the inner liner is a light fleece or quilted fabric.

Resurrecting this thread because this past week has been a classic illustration of why you need to pack layers when you visit WDW in winter. On Saturday 12/19 when we arrived, it was warm and muggy, definitely t-shirt and shorts/capris weather. Sunday the same. Monday and Tuesday were delightful - highs in high 60s, low 70s, low humidity, needed a light jacket in the morning but put it into the backpack by mid morning. Hot again Wednesday and Thursday - rain Thursday night - Christmas Day high 53° with a biting wind!

Our family has the opportunity to take a trip in February. We have been to WDW in April, June, and October. We have never been in the winter. I'm at a loss of what to pack. It will be me, my husband, my 14dd, and my 11dd. Do we need heavy coats? Are ponchos enough or heavier rain gear? Do we wear jeans, leggings, joggers, shorts? Do we need waterproof shoes? I've read a few blogs and it seems I should pack my entire wardrobe in February. We are flying so I have to be judicious with my packing. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
You do have to pack more for a winter trip. Even if the high in mid-afternoon will be in the low 70's on a given day, it still could be in the upper 50's and windy that same morning, all while you are park touring, so pack some kind of jacket (how heavy depends on how cold tolerant you are- and keep in mind that you might end up carrying that jacket instead of wearing it by midday). If you like to swim, definitely pack swimsuits as it's usually warm enough for swimming at some point during a week in Orlando winter.

If you're looking for something to drop from your luggage, it should be the "heavier rain gear". Heavy rain is most common in Orlando in the summer. It does also rain in winter, of course, but it's unlikely to be a deluge like you sometimes get during summer or high hurricane season. A light poncho should be plenty of protection, and if the forecast is clear, you can get away with not even bringing that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts