Feeling Blue

We're with you too. It's been a horrible year and we just had to cancel Christmas on The Dream. We booked opening day and had been counting down so excited. Now we're sitting on over $5000 in Disney gift cards, bought discounted. When we feel safe going we'll book something last minute and go, but until then we're sad.

The US CDC director said today that he doesn't see life getting back to "normal" until late 2021. I'm sitting here with Aulani reservations for this Christmas (moved from this spring) and the DVC Member Cruise booked for next June. Based on what he said, I don't expect that either one of those trips will happen. I'm in sunny AZ so I don't have to deal with snow but the thought of being stuck in my house for another year or more is depressing.

Think of the trip you'll be able to do once things are moving again though..! My work motivation these days is knowing how bored I might be otherwise.. with nowhere to go and without being about to hang out in person with friends I would be going stir crazy despite the hobbies I have. May as well keep my nose to the grindstone and keep saving!

That's part of my problem, LOL! Hawaii for next summer is pretty much paid for (what a problem to have, right?). I do have DCL booked for Feb which I would like to use as motivation, however I don't have much hope that is going to happen. :(

This has been a hard year. I have been sad that I didn't get to take my WDW or DCL Alaska trips this year. Today has been the hardest though. One year ago today I embarked on my last DCL cruise heading from Dover to New York. I am missing DCL so much and so afraid that my two cruises in June and July next year won't happen either because so many people don't seem to care about actually trying to stop the spread of this disease. I know, 1st world problems, but I'm still sad.
We were on that cruise with you! We appreciated the night in NYC, because we went to the 9/11 Memorial. Am not sure we would have made it there without spending a night in NYC.

DCL has cancelled our November 30th Cruise.

I hope your cruises do materialize!

What bothers me the most is that DH and I are not getting any younger. We worked hard all our lives, are finally retired and started to enjoy traveling, and then the pandemic hit. We'll both have to try to remain healthy and fit so that we'll be ready to travel again when we can!

I appreciate everybody's responses. Even though I am sad, it is nice to have this community to know that we are all in this together and so many of you expressed exactly what I'm feeling.
One thing that makes me most sad is that I only travel with my daughter and this is her last year of middle school. Travelling when she's in high school will be much more limited and her childhood time of travelling with me is slipping away.
I am also a teacher and so far we have been remote, which has been a TON of work because we have to learn all new technology and figure out so many different ways to teach everything. Next week students are returning to school and I am terrified. I feel like I won't be able to go anywhere at all for fear that I may have been exposed to the virus and could transmit it to somebody else. Also, now we will be teaching online and in person because students have an option for either so it is going to be even more work. Without any vacations to look forward to, it is even more stressful.

I'm there with you as well. It's been about a year and a half from our last cruise. We were two weeks out from our March cruise when they started canceling them. I also hear you about the kids getting older. My daughter will be 16 in a month and she's worried that by the time the new Wish ship comes out and we're able to book it she'll be too old for Vibe.

I feel ya, I was supposed to have DCL in July, that got PPD to December, which then got PPD to Dec 2021. I also have WDW planned for July 2021. I am hopeful that both of those will happen, but not sure. Hopefully that vaccine comes soon and they can distribute it fast! :)

But, looking forward to the trips that one day will happen is something to look forward to.

Do you think they’ll be canceled that far into the future? We’re still booked on the 5/31 Alaska... I’ve been figuring we’ll cancel but have waited to do so (hoping I can carry forward my placeholder).

What bothers me the most is that DH and I are not getting any younger. We worked hard all our lives, are finally retired and started to enjoy traveling, and then the pandemic hit. We'll both have to try to remain healthy and fit so that we'll be ready to travel again when we can!

We retired last May and were looking forward to doing some traveling while we were still in relatively good health. We have spent a lot of time at the beach, but that is about as exotic as it gets. We like the national parks, but even though many of those are open, they have very few, if any, amenities.

I feel like Burgess Meredith in that episode of "The Twilight Zone" (Spoiler alert: he was a bookworm who survived a nuclear holocaust and was looking forward to unfettered reading - and then he broke his glasses).

This year has been hard. Things we were to celebrate-cancelled. Deaths to mourn (my dad)-restricted. Movement, eating out, masks, restriction-it seems like everywhere. The places I turn to-vacations, a cruise-just to get away, to give myself a break-impossible. The days seem long lately, we have been at this for awhile. I hope and pray for health and a shift soon. Sadness, hoping for better times, a break from it all, not first world. It is just being human and connected.

I feel ya. I lost my Dad and Father in law last month only 48 hours apart. It was a double whammy. Both lived within a mile from us so we saw them all the time. Our Fall Panama Canal trip was cancelled and no WDW this year, no other travel plans on the table due to restrictions when you return home. Terrible year.

MJ

I have tried to not let these first world problems get to me, but sometimes they just do, and I have a case of the blues as well. Cancelled WDW vacations, cancelled cruises, stress from trying to juggle a constantly changing work environment and then my husband got laid off last week (oil & gas) and because he worked in Saudi Arabia all of last year he doesn't qualify for unemployment. Bllahhhh....I know there are many that are worse off than us, but it still sucks. I'm right there with everyone that uses vacation planning and vacations to have a light at the end of the tunnel and it's a cr*ppy world when that isn't there.

I feel ya. I lost my Dad and Father in law last month only 48 hours apart. It was a double whammy. Both lived within a mile from us so we saw them all the time. Our Fall Panama Canal trip was cancelled and no WDW this year, no other travel plans on the table due to restrictions when you return home. Terrible year.

MJ
I wish i could just get away. I know the double whammy-same/almost too close effect- day my father passed we learned my father-in-law has terminal lung cancer. 2020-maybe the digits have something to do with the double whammy effect. So sorry for your loss. ❤

I wish i could just get away. I know the double whammy-same/almost too close effect- day my father passed we learned my father-in-law has terminal lung cancer. 2020-maybe the digits have something to do with the double whammy effect. So sorry for your loss. ❤

Thank you so much and same to you. We knew my FIL who was 91 was ill (cancer in his neck) and declining fast but my dad took us by complete surprise. He was a healthy, vibrant 89 year old who looked 65 and walked every day and drove his Harley around. He was just invited to meet the President in June along with 9 other Korean War Veterans at the Korean War Memorial in Washington. He had a massive brain bleed. Then 48 hours later my FIL passed. Both lived very full lives. Crazy times. They were buried a day apart. It was crazy as we held the repass at our house for my dad but some of my husband's family was coming to stay so they arrived as my family was leaving. It was a week of non stop controlled chaos.

MJ

Thank you so much and same to you. We knew my FIL who was 91 was ill (cancer in his neck) and declining fast but my dad took us by complete surprise. He was a healthy, vibrant 89 year old who looked 65 and walked every day and drove his Harley around. He was just invited to meet the President in June along with 9 other Korean War Veterans at the Korean War Memorial in Washington. He had a massive brain bleed. Then 48 hours later my FIL passed. Both lived very full lives. Crazy times. They were buried a day apart. It was crazy as we held the repass at our house for my dad but some of my husband's family was coming to stay so they arrived as my family was leaving. It was a week of non stop controlled chaos.

MJ
Ahh.. My dad was a Korean War vet as well. Several weeks later the military came to his grave to play taps and present my mom with a flag. She gave it to me. I treasure it as it honors him. Hopeful some day soon we can gather family and celebrate his life. Both of your loved ones sound like they led amazing lives. Your family has been through a lot. Very trying times amplified by a pandemic. ❤

Same here. When I go to work in the morning I always tell my wife I have to go make money for the Disney family (I know it's a company). We're Irish, so my wife always replies "it's better than going out to make money for the Guinness family".

you are Irish? Where do you live, I'm from Dublin and still live in Dublin :)

Oh and Diageo own Guinness now, since 1997 just so you know, never heard that saying before

MJ
My Condolences. I can't imagine how difficult it is to have a double loss happen.

MJ
MJ, I've been out traveling (not good internet), I just read this.

Thinking of you at this time.:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!