Finding my running groove (Comments Welcome)

Week Three

This week was definitely a little all over the pace, but I was able to complete all the runs, which is a win.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 3 miles @ LR (12:06) and 1 mile @ Tempo (10:39)
This run went well. I ran the 3 miles slightly fast at 12 min pace, but they were pretty consistent since I was on the treadmill. I ran the tempo mile at 10:30 so pretty close.

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - was my first speed workout. 1 Mile at WU (14:12) + 6 x .25 mi @ speed (9:45) w/ .25 mi RI @ WU + 1 mi CD (14:12)
So I find the WU/CD pace way too slow so I decided to just sub easy A (13:19) for these. I did this all on the treadmill since its still dark here after work. Overall, I felt good. I did run the speed paces too fast. For some reason I remember the speed pace as 9:30 so I ran them at that pace. I also ran 1.25 miles as a cool down to get a total of 5 miles for the day. I was tired at the end, but definitely felt like I could have kept going.

Friday - rest. Needed this day as work was exhausting and all I wanted was beer and tv.

Saturday - 3 miles @ EB + strides. Actual was 3.03 miles at 12:13 min pace. Splits were 12:02, 12:27, and 12:12. The second mile was where I was supposed to be. This run was really cold. It was 32* with a feels like 20* with the wind. I was hoping the sun would make it seem warmed, but the wind was just brutal. Glad it was only three miles.

Sunday - 3 miles at LR - actual 3.05 miles at 11:42. Splits were 11:55, 11:38, and 11:36. I know this was way too fast, but I actually felt really good. I have been trying to focus on what paces should feel like as well as my breathing and form. I know I was going too fast after mile 1 and tried to slow it down for mile 2 - clearly that went well. Peter caught up to me as I was heading home for the final .50 and we chatted for a bit and I felt like I could easily talk and run. Definitely going to try and slow it down this week though to where I should be.

Today is supposed to be an rest day, but we are getting some nasty winter weather tomorrow so I will probably move tomorrow's run to today. I am hoping for a lot of snow so work is canceled or no snow as I hate the in between amounts where work doesn't get canceled, but the driving is terrible.

Week Four

This week seems to have already gotten away from me. At least it is my favorite day so figured it was time for an update -

upload_2019-2-20_8-59-0.jpeg

Monday - Rest
Actual was 3 miles @ EA (13:19), pace was 13:15 so pretty close. We were slated to get a nasty storm for Tuesday so I switched Monday and Tuesday on the plan.

Tuesday - 3 miles @ EA
Actual - Rest. We did get a storm this day. It made for some messy drive home. I was able to get out at 2:00 PM so most of the snow hit after I got home. But the commute was long at 2 hours (normally its between 45-1 hour to get home). It was over by midnight so no snow day for me.

Wednesday - 4 miles @ EB + Strides
Actual - nothing. Although the storm had ended the night before, the roads and driveway were a sheet of ice as everything had froze. After getting home, I just did not feel like going out again.

Thursday - 1 mile WU+ .05 mi @ Speed (9:45) w/.25 RI (13:19) @ WU + 1 mi CD - Total 4.75
This workout was tough. I ran it on the treadmill so I think my speeds was where it was supposed to be. My total was 5.01 miles. Although the workout was tough, I did feel accomplished at the end.

Friday - Rest
We drove to Maine to visit the in-laws. They have a lot more snow than we do.

Saturday - 4 miles @ EB (12:26) + Strides
Finally a run outside. Splits were 12:18, 12:14, 12:11, 11:34. So I was a little fast. I knew I would be as Maine is so flat compared to home and I made an effort to slow down. I did the strides during the last mile which accounts for the faster pace there.

Sunday - 4 miles @ LR + 1 mi @ HM Tempo
Actual - nothing. We were still in Maine. We slpet in and then ate breakfast. I was just not feeling this run. In Maine, I have to get out and run right away or I will not do it. This was total my fault that I thought I could lounge around and go out. Plus it looked pretty icy so I was not feeling like it would be a fun run. I talked to coach and he said I could move it to Monday - and I did get the run in. It was easier since I had the day off for Presidents day.

I would say this was a fair week. I definitely felt guilt about missing runs so I plan to be much better this week. Winter running is hard as you never know what the weather is going be like. Also it really annoys me that the distance is Strava is always shorter than what my Garmin says. I know it is do to the GPS, but even when I know the route is 3 miles, it comes up short.

Currently Reading: Ministers at War
Currently Listening to: In the Dark Season 2

It has been very busy lately so finding time to update has been challenging. And in case anyone was wonder

upload_2019-2-27_15-26-28.jpeg

Which has still affected my ability to run outside.

Week Five Recap:

Monday - Off
Actual - 4 miles @ LR and 1 mile @ HM Tempo
This was the run I was supposed to do the day before and skipped so I moved it to here.

Tuesday - 3 miles @EA
Another run on the treadmill.

Wednesday - Off

Thursday - 1 mile WU = 3x .75 mi @ speed w/ .25 mi RI @ WU + 1 mile CD
This run was actually really challenging. I did not want to go to the gym. It was cold and had snowed this morning and I was not feeling it. But I went and I told myself I would do the mile WU and then if I still wasn't feeling it, I would be done. But once I got going, I was fine.I was tired by the end, but glad I went.

Friday - Off

Saturday - 5 miles @ EB + strides
I was actually able to run outside. It was a beautiful 40* day and the sun was out. This was a blind run. For some reason I thought it was at LR pace, not EB. Note to self, check the plan before you head outside. It was a little muddy in places where the snow had melted and then a skating rink in spots where the snow hadn't melted yet so it made for some challenges. Total distance was 5.25 miles. Splits 11:42, 11:56, 12:40, 12:24, 11:53. I was too fast, but I did feel good for the whole run.

Sunday - 5 miles @ LR
Actual - none. Peter and I had spent the night at my parents and we woke up to sleet and freezing rain. We were having a small get together for my grandfather's 80's birthday. We thought we might get home in time to go to the gym, but that ended up not happening. I did move this run to Monday and was able to complete it no problem.

We are slated to get more snow tonight. Just enough to make the roads messy for the morning commute. I have found that my form has gotten better since starting this plan, but I really need to focus on my breathing. I am trying to learn to take deeper breaths as I like to pant and that is not very efficient. I will get there eventually.

Currently Reading: Minsters At War
Current Podcast: In the Dark Season 2

February End of Month Update

This was a solid month, besides all the treadmill miles :crazy2:

Goals for the year
Run a race ✓
Run a half marathon - signed up for Maine Coast Half in May
Run 4/5 times a week - ✓
Aim to run 50 miles a month - ✓ 70 miles for the month
Strength train at least 3 times per week - not great this month, mainly due to time constraints. Plan to be more on top if it this month
Drink more water ✓ - I downloaded this app to remind me to drink water and it has really been helping. It has a little :cat: emoji that is happy or sad depending on how much water you drink. I also found that if I don't drink enough water during the day after a run, I feel awful.

Total miles 2019: 106

We are slated to get two storms this weekend. I am hoping I can run outside on Sunday before it starts snowing as I would really like to get off the treadmill for a little while.

upload_2019-3-1_15-56-14.jpeg

How many days till Spring?

Last edited:
So today I woke up with a sore calf. It was not extremely painful, but definitely a little tender to the touch. I totally could have fun on it. I asked Peter about it since he has had running injuries and he suggested that I skip today’s run and stretch and ice it. I wasn’t particularly happy about this plan as I hate missing planned runs. But then I remembered everyone on this board saying listen to your body. Skipping one run to rest will not derail your plan, but a major injury will. And I know the plan is to get to my half healthy and prepared. I can’t do that if I am injuries. So I skipped the run and stretched. And my leg is already feeling better. I plan to ice later tonight and stretch again. I don’t think I am stretching the muscles enough and I am also going to add a little strength training in. I have lofty goals and I can’t meet them if I am injured. Plus it snowed again today so it would have meant another run on the treadmill. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny so I can at least go outside. I also think it’s time for new shoes so I am looking for those as well. My current ones are getting up there. Hoping getting of the treadmill more, stretching and new shoes will clear this up.

Week 6 Update:

Monday - Rest
Actual - 5 miles at LR. I had moved Sunday's run to Monday due to life and weather

Tuesday - 1 mile WU + 2x1 mil @ Speed w/.5 mi RI @ WU + 1 mile CD
This run was fine. I did it on the treadmill so pacing was not an issue. However, this felt like a workout. I wasn't sure I would get through the second mile, but I did.

Wednesday - 3 miles @ EA - another treadmill run

Thursday - 1 mi WU + 2 miles at HM + 1 mile CD
Another uneventful run at the gym.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - 5 miles @ EB. I mentioned it above, but I ended up skipping this run. It was snowing so I would have had to go to the gym. Ended up getting my hair cut and colored, which was much more enjoyable.

Sunday - 5 miles @ LR = 1 mil @ HM and this was a blind run
I was actually able to get outside. The roads were mainly clear from the day before and it was pretty warm out at 35*. The gloves and jacket came off before the first mile. Splits were 11:37, 12:04, 12:10, 11:43, 11:58, and 10:19. I was definitely a little fast, but overall felt good. I was concerned about my leg, but it was fine. I actually think it is a stretching thing as well as needed to get off the treadmill. It was a little sore yesterday, but I stretch and today it feels like. I will continue to stretch it and I plan to get new shoes this month so that should help. I do need to find a longer route though as I had to run the same route three times in the neighborhood, just to hit 5 miles. That will get old quick.

We got more snow Sunday night. They kept going back and forth on the totals we would get. Got a text at 3:15 AM that the university was having a delayed opening of 11:00 AM. Was not thrilled as I live about an hour away so to drive in for 5 hours of work is not ideal. My boss said I could work from home, but then at 8:30 AM we got another text saying we school was closed for the day. Got some cross training in helping DH shovel. The snow was pretty heavy and wet as it was warm yesterday. But now the temps are 15* so everything has frozen. We also got the news my BIL torn his ACL skiing in Colorado. He is an avid runner and luckily he was not planning on Boston this year, but we all feel back for my SIL already as BIL is a grouch if he doesn't get his run in so the next year could be long.

Currently Reading: The Given Day by Dennis Lehane
Current Podcast: Over my Dead Body

Week 7 Updated

Monday - off
It was my first snow day of the year. However, they first called a delayed opening so I got dress, drove Peter to the train station, had trouble getting back home as the runs were terrible, and then they called off school. Wish they had just closed to begin with. Figured now that we are well into March this will be the one and only snow day of the year.

Tuesday - 3 miles @ EA
This run was fine. Was able to do some strength training afterwards. It was bitterly cold though so another day, another run on the treadmill.

Wednesday - 3 miles @ EB + strides
Another treadmill day. Nothing remarkable about this run.

Thursday - 1 mi WU + 3 0.5 mile @ T w/ 1min RI @ WU + 2 x 0.5 mi @ Speed w/ .25 RI @ WU + 1 mi CD
I was not really feeling this run. I was tired and was not feeling this run. Peter told me I could stay home and missing the one run would not kill me. But I felt guilty. I felt that if I am going to miss a run it should not be from laziness. It is nice that Peter can help keep me accountable. Surprisingly, once I got going at the gym, this run went really well. It was not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be.

Friday - off

Saturday - 3 miles @ EB + strides
Actual - 4 miles @ LR. So I had decided to switch Sunday and Saturday's runs. It was supposed to be terrible weather on Sunday so I knew I would be back on the treadmill. I wanted to do the longer run outside. This run was trash. It was 35* when I started and I have been used to temps in the low 20* with wind so I overdressed. About .60 mile in, there is a major intersection so I usually have to stop and wait for the light to change. I decided to take off my jacket at this point and instead of stopping my watch, I ended the run. So now I am really annoyed and thought about just doing the 3 miles to be done. But I toughed it out and got the 4 miles in. Splits 11:51, 11:59, 12:11, and 11:45 so definitely on the fast side.

Sunday - 4 miles @ LR
Actual was 3 miles. This run was great. Totally different from the day before. It was deary day of winter as we got 3-4 inches of snow and then rain on top of it.

I am excited for DST. It was so nice to see it getting dark around 7pm last night. I figure by next month I should be able to do most runs outside, which I am very much looking forward to. It is still cold here, but it will be spring eventually - I hope.

I am still around and running, I am just very busy and had not had a lot of time for the DIS. Things will start to slow down in May so looking forward to that. I am a week behind so this will include both Week 8 and Week 9 recaps.

Week 8
This week was wacky as I was heading to Maine for the weekend and asked coach to move the runs around for me. This was probably my worst week of training so far. Not sure if it had to do with changing the runs up or being off my routine, but I was just not feeling it.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 4 miles at LR + 1 mile @ HM Tempo
This run was fine as it was a treadmill run.

Wednesday - 4 miles @ EA
Actual - none due to life

Thursday - Rest

Friday - 1 mi @ WU + 2x 1 mile @ T w/ 2 min RI @ WU + 2 x .05 mi @ Speed w/ .25 RI @ WU + 1 mi CD
Actual - this was a hot mess of a run. I was actually really looking forward to this run as I could finally do some speed work outside. It was a beautiful day and I totally overdressed. The first mile was fine, but I was dying. After I started the first T mile, I just knew it was not going to happen. Instead, I decided to just get the miles in at LR pace. Was supposed to do 5.45 miles, ended up with 5.57. Splits were 13:05, 11:48, 11:47, 11:41, and 11:50

Saturday - 4 miles @ EA
This run was much better. Although I was way too fast. Splits were 11:51, 12:39, 12:29, and 12:01.

Sunday - 1 mile WU + 3 miles @ HM Tempo + 1 CD
Actual - 5 miles @EB

Week 9
Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 4 miles @EA
This was on the treadmill and was fine

Wednesday - 4 miles @ EB
This was another treadmill run

Thursday - 1 mile WU + 2 x 1.5 mi @ T w/ 3 min RI @ WU + 2.05 mil @ speed w/.25 RI @ WU + .5 mi @CD
I was not sure how this run would go, but it was fine. Challenging, but okay. Again it was on the treadmill. I am hoping with it staying out longer that I can do these runs outside come April.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - 6 miles @EB
I did 5.25 and hated every minute of it. Splits were 12:12, 12:12, 12:14, 11:54, 12:33. After this run, I was questioning whether I could complete the half in May.

Sunday - 6 miles at LR
Actual - was 7 miles. This was an amazing run and restored my faith in training. It actually got to wear shorts and a t shirt as it was almost 60 here. Splits were 11:26, 11:40, 12:02, 11:46, 11:56, 11:42, 12:01. I need to still work on slowing down, but finishing this run was amazing.

@DopeyBadger is it possible to switch the weeks of 4/1 and 4/8? The weekend of 4/13 and 4/14 I am not going to be able to get those miles in. I won't be able to run at all on 4/13 and probably only 4 on 4/14 so I would rather do those big miles the weekend before it possible.

Looks like a week of highs and lows but you managed them well.

@DopeyBadger is it possible to switch the weeks of 4/1 and 4/8? The weekend of 4/13 and 4/14 I am not going to be able to get those miles in. I won't be able to run at all on 4/13 and probably only 4 on 4/14 so I would rather do those big miles the weekend before it possible.

It's risky, but it can be done. The week of 4/1 is a recovery week at 6 weeks to go. The rest of the plan is high, medium, high, taper, race. So if you move the recovery week, then the bigger issue is the proceeding 4 week cycle becomes a high, medium, high, high. So that 4th week (4/1) when switching from recovery to high could be risky. I think to manage that risk, you consider the following:

-Change Week of 4/1 to 4/8 (and vice versa).
-Change the T pace run (currently scheduled for 4/11, but to occur now on 4/4) into a 6.5 mile run at long run pace instead.
-Change the HM Tempo workout (currently scheduled for 4/4, but to occur now on 4/11) into a 1+5+0.5 workout instead of a 1+4+1.
-Then no running on 4/13 and 4 miles on 4/14.

That should help smooth things out. Thoughts?

Looks like a week of highs and lows but you managed them well.

It's risky, but it can be done. The week of 4/1 is a recovery week at 6 weeks to go. The rest of the plan is high, medium, high, taper, race. So if you move the recovery week, then the bigger issue is the proceeding 4 week cycle becomes a high, medium, high, high. So that 4th week (4/1) when switching from recovery to high could be risky. I think to manage that risk, you consider the following:

-Change Week of 4/1 to 4/8 (and vice versa).
-Change the T pace run (currently scheduled for 4/11, but to occur now on 4/4) into a 6.5 mile run at long run pace instead.
-Change the HM Tempo workout (currently scheduled for 4/4, but to occur now on 4/11) into a 1+5+0.5 workout instead of a 1+4+1.
-Then no running on 4/13 and 4 miles on 4/14.

That should help smooth things out. Thoughts?

That sounds really good. I definitely wanted to get the miles in and wanted to know the best way to do. This looks good. This should be the last change for this plan. I looked ahead and I don’t see anymore issues.

March Update

March was month of highs and lows for me. I had some great runs and some really terrible runs. The weather has finally started to turn nice so hopefully we are done with the cold until next winter. I did have my highest mileage ever at 90 miles, which is hard to believe. I have never run that far and it was great to see all the hard work. I also got new shoes and can feel the difference. Hoping I can get 350 - 400 miles out of these as I have my last few pairs.

Goals for the year
Run a race ✓
Run a half marathon - signed up for Maine Coast Half in May
Run 4/5 times a week - ✓
Aim to run 50 miles a month - ✓ 90 miles for the month
Strength train at least 3 times per week - this has completely fallen off, but I only really have time to run so I am okay with it.
Drink more water ✓ -

Total miles 2019: 196

Week 10 Update

images

I definitely feel like Woody in this meme. I am in a little bit of a funk and I'm concerned I will not be ready in 6 weeks. I know I need to trust the training, but it can be hard some times.

Monday - Off

Tuesday - 4 miles at EA
Actual: 3.80 12:57, 12:58, 12:53, 10:31 (although this was a little short)
Was able to run this one outside which was so nice. I was a little short as I needed to get Peter from work

Wednesday - 5 miles at EB + Strides
This run was on the treadmill and was fine. Felt great

Thursday - 1 Mile WU + 4 miles at HM + 1 Mile CD
Actual - 1 mile WU+ 2 miles at HM + 1 Mile CD
Another treadmill run and I was just not feeling it.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - 6 miles at EB + Strides
Actual - 7 miles at LR + 1 Mile HM Tempo
I ended up changing Saturday and Sunday's runs due to weather. It was supposed to rain on Sunday and I did not want to do 8 miles on the treadmill. Saturday was absolutely beautiful. It was 60 and sunny with a slight breeze. This run was a disaster. I had high hopes since last Sunday's 7 mile run went so well. For one thing I went out way to fast so I counted my first mile as the HM Tempo mile. Another thing is there are so many hills where I live. I tried my best, but was struggling. I also got this side stitch on my right side around mile three and it would not go away no matter what I did. Peter thought I might have not drank enough water before going out, but it also came back on Sunday and I had plenty of water so I think it might be a breathing issue.
Pace is all over the place - 11:01, 12:47, 12:11, 11:54, 12:48, 13:29, 12:46, 13:30

Sunday - 7 miles at LR + 1 Mile HM Tempo
Actual - 4 miles at EB
I waited to go out till the afternoon and by that time it had started to rain so I went to the gym. I was not feeling the treadmill, my legs were sore, and that side stitch came back so I was just like forget it, I'm going home.

This week I plan to reset and hope for a better week of training. The weather actually looks really nice so I should be able to get a lot of my runs in outside. I have 9 miles on Sunday and I am hoping it goes better than the 8 this past weekend.

In other news, I did get into the Beach to Beacon 10K race in Maine in August. I had registered via the lottery on a whim and was accepted. I was going back and forth on what I wanted to do. It is a bucket list race for me, but I was not sure this summer was the right time to run in. If I did not do it this year, then I probably will have to wait a few years to try again due to some life things coming up next summer. I am hesitating due to the heat of August and I am not sure the weekend will work for me. I feeling like I won't have FOMO if I miss it so I am leaning towards not registering. I have till midnight to make a decision, but I think I have decided to run it another year.

1347366614379_736567.png

I am definitely on the struggle bus this week. It was a really tough week and I am ready to put it behind me. I had asked to switch this week and last week's mileage as I have to work this Saturday and then we have birthday dinner plans with my SIL and BIL for their birthdays so I was not going to get a run in that day. And I did not want to run 9 miles on Sunday after a night out. In hindsight, switching the weeks may have been too much.

It is April here and that means rain, lots and lots of rain. This saying is very true to New England -

upload_2019-4-8_14-59-48.jpeg

So this meant more treadmill runs. I did a few runs and my knee felt off. I know my gait is different on the treadmill and I figured I just needed to stretch and pay more attention to my form. It was also a tough week as I had many things going on at work and Peter was getting home super late so that meant we ate dinner really late and went to bed late and by Friday, I was exhausted.

Saturday was an absolutely gorgeous Spring day. For once, it didn't rain and it was the perfect weather to go outside with just a hoodie on. Made me feel like winter was ending (although we don't take the shovel out of the car till May, we not fooled by one day of nice weather). It was an absolutely terrible run to the point where I walked the last mile home. I went out on an empty stomach and that just ended badly and I think I was dehydrated. But I did get to enjoy the beautiful afternoon.

Sunday was my 9 mile run. My luck held out and it was another beautiful day. I was dreading it after the week I had. I was also concerned about lingering knee pain but figured
d9d6e9ee13e0623f980e8252bdb57a3f67339519f7a2cfa65786de2062a7f1bb.jpg

And I would stop if it got bad. The run was actually okay. The hills in my neighborhood are killing me a little, but there is no way to avoid them. It is more just how many hills do I want to run today or would I rather do neighborhood loops and be bored. After the run my knee was bothering me a little, but the more immediate issue was my stomach. I was so nauseous. it took about 45 minutes for me to feel better, but it was not the end I wanted to an otherwise good run.

This morning my knee was really bothering so I am going to take some time off to let it hopefully heal up. I don't think I did anything major to it as I can still walk normally, it is more just an ache if I sit too long with it bended or after driving and I figure it is probably due to over use. I am hoping a few days off will help it heal up. May do some walks to keep it moving and will definitely ice at night. I really need to figure out the nutrition before my race in five weeks. I have mentioned before that I have terrible stomach issues and pay attention to FOODMAD. And after most runs, I feel okay, but if I push hard, it can be problem. I am going to really work on hydrating this week as I think that is part of my problem. I am also going to try out a few pre-run meals to see what works best. And finally, the fueling while running thing is an issue. I have to try stuff out because if my stomach doesn't like something it is an immediate issue and I would like to avoid that on race day. I can't do gels, I can't do caffeine(coffee makes me so sick), nothing high in fat, so it is a challenge. Gummy bears seem to work, but pretty sure that is not a preferred race fuel. My SIL recommended Clif Blok as they are not gels and most of them do not have caffeine in them. There is running store near her that sells them and Goodr sunglasses which I have wanted to try out so I am going to try and pop in there this weekend and pick up one. At this point, I want to finish my half healthy and with the best time that I can based on the training. I do have a few other races that I want to do this Fall so this one is not the end all be all if it is slower than I had planned. Still got a few weeks to work out the kinks.

I am hoping that the weather improves soon as this week the forecast is
upload_2019-4-8_15-30-16.jpeg

And I hope that next week I am way to being clear of the struggle bus. Happy Monday!

I've also been experimenting with run fuel. So far only the clif bloks and gu gel. As of now, I'm leaning toward the clif bloks. I like the flavor, the texture and it just seems more satisfying than the gu. I have three others I am going to try before I make a decision. Also, the clif bloks I had contained caffeine. I'm a coffee addict so this isn't really an issue for me. I tried the black cherry and salted watermelon. I like them both and it sounds like they might work for you. Good luck!

I have to try stuff out because if my stomach doesn't like something it is an immediate issue and I would like to avoid that on race day. I can't do gels, I can't do caffeine(coffee makes me so sick), nothing high in fat, so it is a challenge. Gummy bears seem to work, but pretty sure that is not a preferred race fuel. My SIL recommended Clif Blok as they are not gels and most of them do not have caffeine in them

Is it all gels? Have you tried Maurten (which contains only six ingredients – no added colorants, preservatives or flavors)? Water, Glucose, Fructose, Calcium Carbonate, Gluconic acid, and Sodium Alginate. Or Huma Plus Gels (all natural with electrolytes)?

If all gels are absolutely out, then consider other real food alternatives. Kid's fruit pouches, peanut butter, fig newtons, bananas, raisins, dates, and cherries can all be alternative sources of fuel on the run.

I've also been experimenting with run fuel. So far only the clif bloks and gu gel. As of now, I'm leaning toward the clif bloks. I like the flavor, the texture and it just seems more satisfying than the gu. I have three others I am going to try before I make a decision. Also, the clif bloks I had contained caffeine. I'm a coffee addict so this isn't really an issue for me. I tried the black cherry and salted watermelon. I like them both and it sounds like they might work for you. Good luck!

My SIL really liked the salted watermelon one as well. It was what she used when she ran Chicago a few years ago. Glad to hear someone else likes it as well.

Is it all gels? Have you tried Maurten (which contains only six ingredients – no added colorants, preservatives or flavors)? Water, Glucose, Fructose, Calcium Carbonate, Gluconic acid, and Sodium Alginate. Or Huma Plus Gels (all natural with electrolytes)?

If all gels are absolutely out, then consider other real food alternatives. Kid's fruit pouches, peanut butter, fig newtons, bananas, raisins, dates, and cherries can all be alternative sources of fuel on the run.

So I am the pickiest eater. I only eat certain types of bread from certain companies. If something doesn't look normal, I won't eat it, even if I have had it before. Drives my husband crazy, but I am been this way my whole life. For gels, I cannot stand the texture. I hate it. I have read that you can use real food alternatives so I may go that route. I don't eat bananas, raisins, dates, cherries, and a whole bunch of other things so I am thinking peanut butter or a granola bar. I am not that concerned for this race. I just feel like its something I want to play in case I decide to run longer races. Good news is once I find something I like, I don't need variety. I can eat the same thing every day so once I find something I like, I'll probably stick with that.

So I am the pickiest eater. I only eat certain types of bread from certain companies. If something doesn't look normal, I won't eat it, even if I have had it before. Drives my husband crazy, but I am been this way my whole life. For gels, I cannot stand the texture. I hate it. I have read that you can use real food alternatives so I may go that route. I don't eat bananas, raisins, dates, cherries, and a whole bunch of other things so I am thinking peanut butter or a granola bar. I am not that concerned for this race. I just feel like its something I want to play in case I decide to run longer races. Good news is once I find something I like, I don't need variety. I can eat the same thing every day so once I find something I like, I'll probably stick with that.

Have you considered liquid sources instead then? Like E-Fuel, Tailwind, Maurten Drink 320. You could possibly carry your own liquids or hand carry a single bottle (and mix on the go).

In terms of fuel, I use jelly beans. Regular jelly belly jelly beans that I buy in a giant jar at Costco. That works for me, but I know not everyone likes that.
I've also tried dried fruit and that works (I've done raisins and apricots), but the jelly beans are a little easier to carry around.
Definitely try PB and granola bars - anything that you like that has carbs and you can digest pretty easily is something worth trying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!