Firework Photos

I have a question for those of you who use a tripod.

How do manage to keep people from blocking your view? Illuminations wouldn't be a problem, but I'm thinking about Wishes and Fantasmic. :confused3

How soon do you tend to pick out a viewing spot?

disneyjunkie said:
I have a question for those of you who use a tripod.

How do manage to keep people from blocking your view? Illuminations wouldn't be a problem, but I'm thinking about Wishes and Fantasmic. :confused3

One option I've thought about, but haven't had the chance to try, is to find a walkway spot next to a grassy area. Place the tripod and camera in the grass with 2 legs next to the walkway. That way, no one is bumping into the tripod. If you have a remote or a bulb for your camera, then you can just set it up and fire away.

Another option is to place friends, relatives, children/strollers on both sides of the tripod to "discourage" people from bumping into you.

From my experience, most people will try to stay out of your way and let you get a good shot as long as you aren't set-up in the middle of Main Street.
wink.gif

YMMV

Personally, I would not recommend taking a standard tripod into the parks. For starters they are bulky, you don't want to carry them all day, and even stowing them in a locker means having to carry the tripod to and from when you're ready to use them. Another problem is it's easy to be a "hazard" with a full size tripod. I don't think Disney has a stated policy, but many parks do not allow tripods to be used due to the fact that they can be tripping hazards. Other places (not WDW) may require you obtain a "tripod permit" before using one (NYC is a good example). At busier times I could see a CM asking you to please not use a tripod.

However, an even better reason for not using a tripod is you don't really need them. Fence railings, trash cans, stroller handle bars, lampposts all offer enough stabilization to allow excellent night-time shooting. If you want to change the angle of the camera, use a bean bag to get the right angle while resting the camera on a fence. Here are some examples. Some have exposures of over 10 seconds. All of them were handheld using the objects mentioned above to steady the camera. All of them were taken on auto-exposure (Aperature Priority) ISO 200, f5.6:

Illuminations 4 Seconds
Illuminations 10 Seconds!
Illuminations 1.6 Seconds
Illuminations 2 Seconds
Illuminations 1.6 Seconds

Kids playing with twinkling walkway lights at Epcot, used a lamppost, 2 seconds
Light Chasers

Spaceship Earth, using the handle bars on a stroller: 1.6 sec
Epcot 1.6 Sec

Wishes from the wooden walkway across from TSI, used the walkway railing:
Wishes 6 Seconds
Wishes 6 Seconds

Wishes, on "foggy" Christmas Day 2004, using a lammpost:
Wishes 1/2 Second

Geoff_M said:
Personally, I would not recommend taking a standard tripod into the parks. For starters they are bulky, you don't want to carry them all day, and even stowing them in a locker means having to carry the tripod to and from when you're ready to use them. Another problem is it's easy to be a "hazard" with a full size tripod.

However, an even better reason for not using a tripod is you don't really need them. Fence railings, trash cans, stroller handle bars, lampposts all offer enough stabilization to allow excellent night-time shooting.

Ditto what's said above. I think full-size tripods are too bulky. If you opted for monopod or a pocket-sized one, that's a different story. However, there are lots of options on how to stabilize your image. For example, I took this image at IllumiNations by resting my elbow on a railing:

55984572_5a5b5d3d69.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter