First attraction at DL during EMH with a toddler

PippensMcGee

Mouseketeer
I've seen lots of threads about what to do at DL at rope drop but not an answer to my specific question... but apologies if it has been asked already.

I am taking my 2.5 year old to Disneyland for the first time in mid January. We're staying at DLH so we will have access to EMH and we plan on utilizing that. I also plan to have us get there before opening to secure a good spot in line.

From what I have read, Peter Pan should be done first since it doesn't have FP and the line stays fairly long for the rest of the day. HOWEVER, trying to remain realistic, I doubt we will be the first at rope drop nor do I want to deal with racing with others (who don't have young kids) to Peter Pan first. Assuming we are there at opening but aren't racing down Main Street, is it even worth it to try to do Peter Pan as our first ride? I feel like I have read somewhere that if you aren't in the first few people in line for the ride it's not worth doing because you'll spend your precious EMH time standing in line.

Of course Dumbo is down while we are there and I think Snow White is probably too scary for my daughter, but who knows. If we don't do Peter Pan first, any other suggestions on what we should focus on?

We prefer to avoid the foot race to PP. I'd rather take my time walking in, take some photos, then do Dumbo or Alice. Those also stay pretty busy during the day. Watch the app on Peter Pan. If it hits 30 minutes during the day, go do it then.

I've seen lots of threads about what to do at DL at rope drop but not an answer to my specific question... but apologies if it has been asked already.

I am taking my 2.5 year old to Disneyland for the first time in mid January. We're staying at DLH so we will have access to EMH and we plan on utilizing that. I also plan to have us get there before opening to secure a good spot in line.

From what I have read, Peter Pan should be done first since it doesn't have FP and the line stays fairly long for the rest of the day. HOWEVER, trying to remain realistic, I doubt we will be the first at rope drop nor do I want to deal with racing with others (who don't have young kids) to Peter Pan first. Assuming we are there at opening but aren't racing down Main Street, is it even worth it to try to do Peter Pan as our first ride? I feel like I have read somewhere that if you aren't in the first few people in line for the ride it's not worth doing because you'll spend your precious EMH time standing in line.

Of course Dumbo is down while we are there and I think Snow White is probably too scary for my daughter, but who knows. If we don't do Peter Pan first, any other suggestions on what we should focus on?

The January closure list is difficult to predict what the lines are going to be like.
When you go to the gates in the morning be sure to line up at one that is identified as EE/MM.
Picking a gate to either side of the center, positions you closer to the tunnels.

Find your way up Main Street and into Fantasyland and if PP isn't packed, hop in line.

The list of closures might deter travelers to visit another time. Providing they have done their homework and know about the list.
The list, combined with short hours isn't too popular with many.

Do you have ear muffs for her? When ours were young, the noise level/volume was what overwhelmed them the most.
Ear muffs will take the edge off.

Have fun!

Geemo

The first time we took my daughter she was 3 and our first ride was Dumbo of course. snow white was not scary for her. but her favorite ride since is Haunted Mansion. We have been there for EMH when she was younger but I never raced anywhere. We enjoyed walking down Main street and seeing the castle and taking pictures. She was overjoyed that we were even there she skipped around everywhere. At that age she liked Toontown and Nemo.

Like pp said i would keep an eye on peter pan and if the lines are not long then do it.

Agree with mom2rtk. We don't love the race to Peter Pan and prefer to ride it later in the day. If you don't run to get there it ends up being a 30-40 minute wait and that is almost what it is throughout the day so there is no reason to waste the precious early morning short lines with an average wait at Peter Pan.

I forgot to make suggestions. For our toddler we like Dumbo, Alice, Teacups, or carousel. I can't remember if Casey Jr. is open during EMH but that is another one that can get a long line later in the day that my toddler likes and is a nice warm-up ride.

If PP line ends before the metal chains I would hop on and ride that. If the PP line extends to the chains, I would skip it.

Alice is cute and not really scary and also develops long lines as the day goes on (30 minutes plus) so I would probably head there first if you don't do PP. Storybookland Canal Boats and Casey Junior train also generally have crazy long lines so if you can ride those with a 5-10 minute wait it would be great.

After those, I would do Mr. Toad, Pinocchio and Snow White in that order (only try Snow White if she is OK with the other dark rides) and the wrap it up with the carousel. After that you could head over to IASW.

The January closure list is difficult to predict what the lines are going to be like.
When you go to the gates in the morning be sure to line up at one that is identified as EE/MM.
Picking a gate to either side of the center, positions you closer to the tunnels.

Find your way up Main Street and into Fantasyland and if PP isn't packed, hop in line.

The list of closures might deter travelers to visit another time. Providing they have done their homework and know about the list.
The list, combined with short hours isn't too popular with many.

Do you have ear muffs for her? When ours were young, the noise level/volume was what overwhelmed them the most.
Ear muffs will take the edge off.

Have fun!

Geemo
Thank you! And thanks for the suggestion on ear muffs!

If PP line ends before the metal chains I would hop on and ride that. If the PP line extends to the chains, I would skip it.

Alice is cute and not really scary and also develops long lines as the day goes on (30 minutes plus) so I would probably head there first if you don't do PP. Storybookland Canal Boats and Casey Junior train also generally have crazy long lines so if you can ride those with a 5-10 minute wait it would be great.

After those, I would do Mr. Toad, Pinocchio and Snow White in that order (only try Snow White if she is OK with the other dark rides) and the wrap it up with the carousel. After that you could head over to IASW.
This is really great advice--thank you so much!

I forgot to make suggestions. For our toddler we like Dumbo, Alice, Teacups, or carousel. I can't remember if Casey Jr. is open during EMH but that is another one that can get a long line later in the day that my toddler likes and is a nice warm-up ride.
Thanks! I didn't mention the specific days we'll be there but it's Jan 10-11, so Dumbo will be down that day. I'm so bummed.

Also, I meant to mention @Geemo, I am hoping the list of closures and short hours deters people, too!

Wishful thinking, I know, but in the event that my toddler makes it all the way until closing at 9pm, are the lines for PP usually long at night?

We're planning to see Fantasmic! at 8pm--is it crazy to try to go on PP after Fantasmic before exiting the park?

I'm another that would make a decision about Peter Pan when you get there. If the line is already outside the metal chains, then I would skip it at that point and swing back later in the day. Generally, PP's wait tends to be between 30 and 55 minutes, so I'd rather spend the EMH time doing other rides rather than waiting for PP. I haven't found that PP's line was significantly shorter at closing. I don't think it's crazy to try and ride PP at the end of the day (at least then you're not necessarily wasting time waiting in line when you could be doing other things), but I wouldn't expect the lines to be much shorter than during the day.

When I went with an almost 3 year old, he liked the Carousel, IaSW, Alice, Tea Cups, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster, and Autopia. He also liked Storybook Land Canal Boats and Casey Jr, but those are not usually open during EMH. He was scared in Snow White, Pinocchio (when Monstro appears), and Mr. Toad, but he tended to be easily scared than his sister at the same age, so each child is different.

I'm another that would make a decision about Peter Pan when you get there. If the line is already outside the metal chains, then I would skip it at that point and swing back later in the day. Generally, PP's wait tends to be between 30 and 55 minutes, so I'd rather spend the EMH time doing other rides rather than waiting for PP. I haven't found that PP's line was significantly shorter at closing. I don't think it's crazy to try and ride PP at the end of the day (at least then you're not necessarily wasting time waiting in line when you could be doing other things), but I wouldn't expect the lines to be much shorter than during the day.

When I went with an almost 3 year old, he liked the Carousel, IaSW, Alice, Tea Cups, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster, and Autopia. He also liked Storybook Land Canal Boats and Casey Jr, but those are not usually open during EMH. He was scared in Snow White, Pinocchio (when Monstro appears), and Mr. Toad, but he tended to be easily scared than his sister at the same age, so each child is different.
Thanks for the advice and good to know that Storybook Land and Casey Jr. aren't open for EMH.

A lot of our day will have to be flying by the seat of our pants, I think, because I have no idea how my daughter will react to the dark rides. She's not timid by any stretch of the imagination, but does get scared sometimes (e.g. is not the biggest fan of Santa right now...) so we will have to base much of what we do on how she reacts to things and play it by ear as we go.

We're going to do DCA on January 10 so I should have an idea of how she'll react by going on Little Mermaid and TSMM.

Yeah, I know what you mean about Santa. The almost 3 year old was very hesitant to go to see Santa, even after his big sister went up. He ended up going to say "hi" just to get the candy cane, but would not sit next to him or get within arm's length. He was rather like that with all of the characters (except Daisy Duck :confused3).

Another dark ride in DCA is Monster's Inc. That one is probably "scarier" than Pinocchio/Mr. Toad, but more on par with Snow White. Part of the problem with the FL rides were, I don't think he really knew who those characters were and he didn't really know the stories. So it was all new (i.e., unfamiliar) to him. He liked Little Mermaid, but he'd watched that movie many times, so he knew who Ursula was and what was coming next (in at least a vague sense).

Since your toddler is going to be taking in so much, I wouldn't worry about making Peter Pan a priority. I would concentrate on the outdoor attractions first - Dumbo, Casey Jr Circus Train, Storybook Land Canal Boats, It's a Small World (unless it's closed for the changeover to the regular show), and the Carousel (kids love these outdoor rides). For the dark rides, Alice in Wonderland is fun, and Peter Pan if it's 30 mins or less. I do not recommend Snow White since it's usually pretty scary for the little ones, and I've seen kids go on that and refuse the other dark rides. Mr. Toads is fun, and Pinocchio.

Have a great time!

I began taking my daughters to DLR when they were 18 months old, and later took my grandchildren beginning at the same age.
My suggestion is to let your little one rule the day. While you may think that Dumbo or some other ride is the best thing to do first, your little one may be totally amazed by the flowers or by seeing Mickey or some other thing that seems mundane to you.

Wishful thinking, I know, but in the event that my toddler makes it all the way until closing at 9pm, are the lines for PP usually long at night?

We're planning to see Fantasmic! at 8pm--is it crazy to try to go on PP after Fantasmic before exiting the park?

I forgot the teacups. I would squeeze those in between the dark rides and the carousel.

IS 2.5 in a stroller, because as a first time with Peter Pan, your wait will be extended first thing in the morning trying to figure out where to park. Peter Pan is a zoo and different each morning in terms of how to enter the chain. so skip PP. My 5 year old was afraid of all dark rides because he had over thought the Wizard of OZ apple trees.....could be waiting at any bend on the dark attractions

IS 2.5 in a stroller, because as a first time with Peter Pan, your wait will be extended first thing in the morning trying to figure out where to park. Peter Pan is a zoo and different each morning in terms of how to enter the chain. so skip PP. My 5 year old was afraid of all dark rides because he had over thought the Wizard of OZ apple trees.....could be waiting at any bend on the dark attractions
Yes, we'll have a stroller. I haven't been to DL in about 5 years, and never with a stroller, so this should be interesting...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!