First Christmas Trip Advice Needed

LucyD

Earning My Ears
Hi! I am new here and hope that I am posting in the right place. (This is the second place I've posted it.) I hope you can give me some help. I want to book a family Christmas trip for 2005 for either 12/22-12/26 or 12/23-12/27 for six adults, with one of them being my mother who is 78. She has never been to WDW, and the rest of us haven't been since July 96 where we stayed at Port Orleans.

First, I think we want to book a 2 bedroom Home Away from Home. What are the chances of us getting this as we're not DVC members? I was thinking of BWV, BCV or WLV. We don't want our mother to have to wait in long bus lines or ride for too long. I've looked into some junior suites and suites at deluxe resorts and don't think they would be for us. Mother will want to be comfortable, have some privacy and have access to a kitchen. I think we will feel more like we are staying together in a villa rather than a suite or an adjoining room situation.

We are primarily interested in the holiday attractions and events at the theme parks-- CP, Osborne Lights, resort decorations, parades etc. Since we won't have kids with us, rides etc. are not of interest.

Second, there is no way we can pay rack rates for this. After doing research and reading these boards, I am so overwhelmed. I think I've been at this computer for at least 20 hours the past two days. I don't think I can manage watching for discount codes and deals etc. I've read that it might be a good idea to book through a WDW trained travel agent like DU or Small World Vacations. And with this new Make you own Magic ticket packages, I'm really confused.

Am I crazy to think this trip is doable? Any advice you could give will be tremendously appreciated! Thanks so much!

<b>Welcome to the Adult/Solo Board, Lucy</b>. This is a very crowded time at WDW. DVC members can book their home resorts at the 11 month window.
You may want to check out the DVC Rent/Trade Board if you are interested in renting points from a DVC member.
You can get a quote from DU if you are interested in a cash reservation.
Is there any chance you can celebrate Christmas early? The beginning of Dec is much less crowded and you can enjoy all the Christmas decorations and activities then.

I've rented points from a member on the points board before and it worked great!! I recommend it all the time. Go and study the that board for a couple of days. You'll find out who has been around a long time, which resort you like, etc.

However, I will caution that Xmas is going to be your highest point's time. In addition, it is very difficult to get xmas ressies. You will want to get someone right away who can make ressies at their home resort at the 11 month window. (this will start in Jan.)

For example, you decide that you want Old Key West (OKW). Go to the point calculator (link at the top in FAQ section), and find out how many points you will need for each night you will be at the resort. then post your request:

Want OKW for Xmas, want to stay xx/xx to xx/xx, point calc states xxx points required. am willing to pay xx per point (typical is $10 per point). If you can make ressies at 11 month window please email me.

If someone who has OKW for their home resort and has enough points and is willing to rent for that amount, you'll get an email. Be flexible and look at a couple of resorts that you could be interested in. Perhaps OKW is first choice and Wilderness Villages is second.

Good Luck. And feel free to email me if you have any questions. We had a great time at OKW for 10 days, and would do it again in a second. We just have been able to stay off site at timeshares as my mother has a time share that she trades for it. So, I don't pay to go....

Shelly

Unless your group includes teachers that are using the school holiday same as the families with munchkins, you would be much better off traveling earlier in Dec. The SINGLE busiest week at WDW is between Xmas and New Years. The crowds, a fairly impt consideration with an older adult in your party, are less as are the room rack rates/rental points from DVC members. In addition, the Mickey's Very Merry X-mas Party ends mid-Decemberish(last day in 2004 was Dec 17th, the day we went.) Another consideration is getting the dinner/guaranteed seating package for Candlelight Processional. We did that on Dec 16th and sat right up front, enjoyed it(CP) so much we tried going again by waiting in the normal line Dec 18th, and didn't get in. We were there from Dec 16th-Dec 22nd. Also just because you are adults, don't discount the other attractions/rides. I'm a medical student and Army officer and darn it, I like riding Pooh's Huny Pots. It brings back memories of my footed sleeper Pj's with Pooh on them. Much of the MGM, Animal Kingdom, and EPCOT are themed more for adults than children anyway IMO. We(myself 31, my sister 18, my mom 52, and my grandma 76) so enjoyed being there for the holidays that we are planning on going back Dec 18-23 this year. Our dates are dependent on my school schedule though so we would go earlier if we could but I know already I will be taking the Hematology system exam on Dec 16th. Hope this helps.

I agree.
That would be a really bad week to go because of the crowds.
We went Dec.3-7th and had a great time.
Good weather and light crowds.
And that was also Value Season so our rooms were much cheaper than Christmas week. :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter