First Disney Cruise- The Unexpected?

ZephyrJG

Earning My Ears
On your first DCL experience, what were some things that happened that you were not expecting?
(Good or bad)

Has this effected how you prepare for/handle any of your other cruises?

I did not expect pixie dust from other guests. We were floored when our grand-daughters each received several gifts from other passengers. We make sure that we will pay this forward on our future cruises.

While waiting for our first cruise and even during our first cruise, I underestimated the desire to take another cruise. I honestly considered it one and done. I did not book a placeholder while on board. This was a mistake. I will now always be prepared to book a placeholder.

I didn't expect to get so emotional when I crossed the bridge into the atrium. It was my very first cruise, but then to be greeted by so much joy and excitement was amazing. And what a PP said, that we didn't book a placeholder while onboard.

I had heard about the crowded pools but didn't really think about it because I figured WDW was crowded and WDW pools can be crowded so it's NBD but some of their pools really were like pea soup and I was frustrated to not have planned a different activity and frustrated that I was forced to be uncomfortable by the pool. Now for sea days I look at the thing differently, kind of go into Sea day knowing that pools are crowded, it is what it is and as long as I only plan on staying there for an hour then I can deal.

I found the navigators to be overwhelming with information overload the first time that I saw them - I am a meticulous planner and I love information and when I saw them I got nervous because I felt like I didn't understand how to read them and I got all paranoid that I was "missing out" on things because I didn't have time to read the navigators. Now obviously I think they are easy to read and I get them but I always give advice to first timers to try and get a copy of those so they don't overwhelm.

Like PP, I underestimated the interest in wanting to go again and my biggest regret was not booking a placeholder.

I grew up on a lake and love bodies of water but I was surprised by how much I loved the sound and smell of the sea on the verandah... it's so peaceful and amazing

Have fun!

OMG -- I remember sitting there on the beach with drink in hand, Jimmy Buffet playing on the speakers and thinking it was all a dream. What a gorgeous place.
On our first cruise in 2012, I didn't do any research and had not met anyone who had been on a DCL cruise before so we truly were just winging it. I just remember how beautiful and relaxing CC was and that I couldn't wait to come back.

Never expected there was so much to keep adults busy. Had not expected to be seated in MDR with a similar family and girls becoming great friends.

Since they have changed out the chairs at the pool have not had a problem finding a seat.

What a great thread. I am enjoying these answers.

This post was just made by Webmaster Jackie. https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-first-time-cruisers-need-to-know.3598130/
It is the Dreams Unlimited podcast for today, What First Time Cruisers Need to Know. This may be some additional helpful info for you.

As for my answer, I would have to say, how much the CMs really do get involved with you. They aren't there just doing a job, they really enjoy interacting with you, or at least they make it seem that way. ;) Going back to our first cruise in 2000, when our waiter was carrying our 8 month old around the dining room, right up until our last few cruises when when bartenders, servers, and head servers remembered us and seemed genuinely happy to see us. We now feel like we are visiting friends when we sail. :)

Last edited:
I did not expect to enjoy the Caribbean waters as much as I did. I had been to Hawaii twice, California beaches twice, and Florida beaches twice. All of those trips I did not care to be in the ocean and I assumed from that, I just was not an ocean swimmer. In the Caribbean, I love being in the water! It is warm, clear, and Serenity Bay is shallow for a long while. I love swimming there!

I also figured our first cruise would be our only. Now we are planning on at least four more!

Echoing what others have said: never expected pixie dust from fellow cruisers, thought it would be one and done, sitting with a drink in hand at CC was nearly spiritual, so much for me to do!

Also, never expected breakfast and lunch to be fantastic and expected dinner to be better than it was. Because it's Disney I knew my girls would feel special but I felt like a princess everyday in the little ways the CMs treated me too. Looked cold, CM brought me a blanket unasked. Was feeling down, CM brought me a platter of lovely fruit.

I did not expect to enjoy the Caribbean waters as much as I did. I had been to Hawaii twice, California beaches twice, and Florida beaches twice. All of those trips I did not care to be in the ocean and I assumed from that, I just was not an ocean swimmer. In the Caribbean, I love being in the water! It is warm, clear, and Serenity Bay is shallow for a long while. I love swimming there!

I also figured our first cruise would be our only. Now we are planning on at least four more!

I love ocean swimming but I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico in NW Florida. I've swum in November when the ocean was glass smooth and warm as bathwater. Glad you got to have a great experience.

I didn't expect the balcony winds to be as cool as they were (March) or the MDRs to be cool. I brought too many sleeveless tops and not enough cover ups for them. That said, I'd definitely book a balcony again, but I'd be aware that winds can be cool.

I also didn't expect how my family would react. DH just wanted to chill out on his own, not do organized things like trivia (he loves trivia! What's up with that?) Highly social and popular older DS was shy and had to be coaxed into going to the Vibe on the end of the second day, while very shy and introverted younger DS was at the clubs on the first day and made 2 friends that he still contacts.

I got off the ship and realized I'd never gone and ordered anything from Flo's or room service, never had any ice cream, not even a Mickey Bar and didn't see a couple of movies I'd wanted to see.

DS realized what the Midship detective agency was on the last night, after telling me he didn't want to do it all week. Now he's bugging me to go back.

Bought a few things "in the moment" that I probably don't need and left a couple of things on the ship (accidentally) that I did need.

It was on our second cruise -- but we were unprepared for how cold the waters were at CC after such balmy waters on our first.

Echoing what others have said: never expected pixie dust from fellow cruisers, thought it would be one and done, sitting with a drink in hand at CC was nearly spiritual, so much for me to do!

Also, never expected breakfast and lunch to be fantastic and expected dinner to be better than it was. Because it's Disney I knew my girls would feel special but I felt like a princess everyday in the little ways the CMs treated me too. Looked cold, CM brought me a blanket unasked. Was feeling down, CM brought me a platter of lovely fruit.

Oh boy was I unprepared when I got home and had to cook and make my beds and no one was there to clean up after me, and I really missed the sound of the ocean as we sailed! LOL

I was not expecting the "wow" feeling from the cruise. We had cruised RCCL 3 times and they were fine. Every aspect of this first DCL cruise exceeded expectations. It was probably the great service and just Disneys ability to make you feel good that got my attention. that was 8 cruises ago. In 3 weeks we head out for cruise #9 and are already talking about booking #10.

I guess in summary the excitement from the cruise exceeded my expectations

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter