First Disney Cruise- The Unexpected?

On your first DCL experience, what were some things that happened that you were not expecting?
(Good or bad)

Has this effected how you prepare for/handle any of your other cruises?
I didnt expect for the ship to feel not as crowded as it did. I've never sailed on one of the classic ships but on my first cruise (Fantasy) it wasn't until Castaway Cay that I sat back and commented on how many people and kids there were. Even at the pool deck it got crowded but never overwhelming. The larger ships do an amazing job with activities spread throughout the ship to create a nice even feel.

Please wash hands vigilantly and use the wipes.

I don't use the wipes anymore - only hand washing. Too many people rely on those wipes to clean their hands after activities (so instead of going to a bathroom to wash their hands before heading into the buffet, they use a wipe; after attending an onboard activity, people head directly to the restaurants and hey, because they use a wipe, their hands are clean - not!).

The wipes they hand out do nothing against any serious illness like Norovirus - they just give a false sense of cleanliness (which is the trap I fell into on the first DCL cruise).

I am not a cruise person but have been thinking about doing a short Disney cruise and this thread just made me EXCITED to think about starting to think about planning one!

I also thought a cruise was not my thing before our first cruise. Wife and I now have our eighth DCL cruise booked our tenth cruise overall.

Booked at least a four night cruise or, you'll be surprised how fast your First Disney Cruise sailed by!!! Hope you all love DCL as much as we do pixiedust:

Our 3rd cruise, first with our daughter, I was surprised at how resistant and opposed to Kids Club she was. We'd heard such great things and stories. But ours has had 0 interest twice now.

Next time she'll be in Edge, so more hopeful we get some family and non-family time.

My daughter was not a fan of the kids Club also so much so I have not signed her up for it this time but she will be just days from being 11 and I hope she can give Edge a try.

I don't use the wipes anymore - only hand washing. Too many people rely on those wipes to clean their hands after activities (so instead of going to a bathroom to wash their hands before heading into the buffet, they use a wipe; after attending an onboard activity, people head directly to the restaurants and hey, because they use a wipe, their hands are clean - not!).

The wipes they hand out do nothing against any serious illness like Norovirus - they just give a false sense of cleanliness (which is the trap I fell into on the first DCL cruise).
I tell my kids that the wipes are good in a pinch, but that your hands still have dead germs on them. Wash the dead germs off with soap and water when you get the chance. But we used the wipes in the restaurants every time and made sure to use soap and water when in a washroom, too. The wipes are better than nothing.

For our upcoming cruise in Feb 2018, we again have the aft cabin, but have already been in touch with a BUNCH of other people on social media who are on the cruise with us. There are lots of plans for outings, and meets and all of those things that can make a cruise fun, including "BAR WARS" a Star Wars Day at Sea themed pub crawl through all the drinking establishments on the Fantasy.

We'll see you there. :D

I tell my kids that the wipes are good in a pinch, but that your hands still have dead germs on them. Wash the dead germs off with soap and water when you get the chance. But we used the wipes in the restaurants every time and made sure to use soap and water when in a washroom, too. The wipes are better than nothing.

My wife keeps her wipe in her hand and uses it to grab each of the utensils when she serves herself, then she throws it away.

While waiting for our first cruise and even during our first cruise, I underestimated the desire to take another cruise. I honestly considered it one and done. I did not book a placeholder while on board. This was a mistake. I will now always be prepared to book a placeholder.

Ditto to this! We assumed we wouldn't go back before our youngest was old enough for the kids club and didn't book a placeholder. We're going this fall and could have used an onboard booking for it! It doesn't hurt you to book a placeholder and decide to cancel later!

While waiting for our first cruise and even during our first cruise, I underestimated the desire to take another cruise. I honestly considered it one and done. I did not book a placeholder while on board. This was a mistake. I will now always be prepared to book a placeholder.

Definitely this.

Also, I was not expecting how involved the other guests get or how I would get along with them. Fish extenders were a shock to me, but I loved the idea. There were more couples without kids than I thought - and we really liked our table mates. Everyone was making fools out of themselves in the dvc meeting and other classes and events. It honestly took a little for me to stop being so reserved and have a little fun. :-)

Like others, I did not book a 2nd cruise while onboard. We were back 11 months later and have 2 more booked. I didn't think I would like cruising. I thought I'd be bored or seasick. I was so wrong! I loved it so much and it is the only vacations that I have ever actually relaxed.

I found the Personal Navigators overwhelming. I now look up past navigators and study them to get more familiar with them. I still get a little overwhelmed w/ the navigators.

We weren't prepared for how much time our kids would want to spend in the kids club. My wife and I would have each brought another book to read if we'd known how much down time we would have had.
That was us this last cruise. DH and I had so much down time that were weren't prepared to have lol. We have done 3 sailings now, and the first 2 it seemed we never had any down time at all. This time, there were many times DH and I looked at each other and said "Now what?"
Next time we will definitely bring some books and relax at the adult area while the kids are in the clubs.

I loved it so much and it is the only vacations that I have ever actually relaxed.

I agree. I actually felt relaxed after the cruise. Although I always have a great time at WDW, I do not leave feeling relaxed. I leave feeling exhausted. We're not even park commandos and I'm tired after a few days at Disney.

I was surprised with how friendly everyone was. I felt like since everyone on the ship had Disney in common there was always something to talk about. Also loved how a full ship never felt full or how as adults only I never really saw children unless I went looking for them. It was magical!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter