First DL trip in years and first ever with kids! Questions

DisneyJade

Two decades on the DIS, lurking and learning
Hello Disney Experts!
I have been lurking on the DIS for 15 years, and every so often I step out of the shadows just long enough to ask for help from the pros.

...and I've never needed more help than now!

I am planning my very first Disney trip as a mommy! :love: We are taking our twin toddlers to Disneyland next spring, and while I'm very excited, I'm also very confused. I haven't been to DL in about a decade and never with children. I have quite a few questions, and I would be very grateful to anyone who can answer any of them.

*** We plan to go for 3 days in late Feb/early Mar (before the spring break crowds). I noticed the hours are typically shorter that time of year. Does DL still do weekday fireworks, parades, WOC in slower seasons, or are those only on weekends?
*** Because we will have two toddlers and a senior who can't walk long distances in tow, we have decided to stay offsite for the closest gate access. To that end, we are looking at Best Western Park Place Inn & Mini Suites and ParkVue Inn. I have read that ParkVue is nicer and more expensive, but when I priced the two out, I found ParkVue was significantly cheaper. Is this because BW recently had room upgrades, or has something gone downhill at ParkVue? Any significant difference between these two?
*** Is there any way to get more than one early entry day without staying on site?
*** When I price options on the Disney site, it offers me the option to buy Maxpass if I buy tickets only, but it doesn't offer that option when I price out hotel packages. Is MP automatically included for guests who buy packages, or is this an oversight on the Disney website?
*** If we want to do a character breakfast at one of the Disney hotels, is it better to hoof it all the way from Harbor, or should we drive there? (We will have a car.)

That's probably more than enough questions for now! Thanks in advance for any insight.

-no evening shows, except WOC, Mon-Thur in slow seasons
-idk
-no
-nobody gets MP included, you can only buy it with a ticket-only purchase or day of in the park. If you want to lock in the $10 pricing don't buy the package
-Hoof it across DtD, but given you're limited time I'd consider just hoofing to the Plaza Inn character breakfast inside the park. My understanding is that even if you get a time during EMH & you don't have EMH you can gain entry, but hopefully someone with experience chimes in on the logistics of that so you don't unintentionally use your MM on that. It's as close as you can come to 2 MM.
(Remember with a 3 day PH you have Magic Morning, not Extra Magic Hours. Your only early entry option is Disneyland on Tues, Thur, or Sat.)

*** We plan to go for 3 days in late Feb/early Mar (before the spring break crowds). I noticed the hours are typically shorter that time of year. Does DL still do weekday fireworks, parades, WOC in slower seasons, or are those only on weekends?
As the PP said, it will be weekends. See See "What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18462889

*** Because we will have two toddlers and a senior who can't walk long distances in tow, we have decided to stay offsite for the closest gate access. To that end, we are looking at Best Western Park Place Inn & Mini Suites and ParkVue Inn. I have read that ParkVue is nicer and more expensive, but when I priced the two out, I found ParkVue was significantly cheaper. Is this because BW recently had room upgrades, or has something gone downhill at ParkVue? Any significant difference between these two?
IMO BWPPI has long had a better reputation than Park Vue. I myself would never stay there after the stories I have read from people I trust.

*** Is there any way to get more than one early entry day without staying on site?
Nope!

*** When I price options on the Disney site, it offers me the option to buy Maxpass if I buy tickets only, but it doesn't offer that option when I price out hotel packages. Is MP automatically included for guests who buy packages, or is this an oversight on the Disney website?
As a PP said, whatever option you choose you will have to pay for MP. I am guessing that will not be worthwhile because of the mix of your group. Most of the FP rides will not be of interest to toddlers. I would just use regular (and free) FP. Except for the photos. It might be worth it for one of you to get MP for the free photos.

*** If we want to do a character breakfast at one of the Disney hotels, is it better to hoof it all the way from Harbor, or should we drive there? (We will have a car.)
With mobility issues it would seem driving is your best bet. You could drop off everyone near the hotel entrance then have one of the good walkers park the car and and meet the group.

Good luck with your trip!

:wizard:

I did the Surf's Up With Mickey and Friends character breakfast at the Paradise Pier Hotel and you get 3 hours free parking (have to get your parking ticket validated at the breakfast). We loved it... food was great, the character interactions were great, I loved The Beach Boys music. We did this on the day we left and booked a later breakfast around 10:15 and it was perfect! It was nice not to waste early morning park time (which is glorious, less crowded) by eating breakfast in the park.

With mobility issues it would seem driving is your best bet. You could drop off everyone near the hotel entrance then have one of the good walkers park the car and and meet the group.

Good luck with your trip!

:wizard:

Yep, you should be able to park at the hotels, just tell the attendant what you are doing. 3 hours free parking at most of the breakfast places.

We have stayed at BWPPI and thought it was a decent option. It was clean, quiet, breakfast was great, so close to the park. It might be pricing out expensive due to the party of 5. Try calling the hotel and asking about options for your specific group. We are a family of 5 and I've found that some online reservations limit us to suites, but if I chat with the hotel directly, find out that we can book a standard 2 queen room and put the youngest in a pack n' play or a cot for no extra charge.

You can buy MaxPass by the day after you scan into the park. It is very easy and fast to do (pre-load a payment method into your disney account and remember your password).

I personally would walk from a Harbor hotel to the Disney hotels. It is a pleasant walk through DTD. In fact, here is what I would do: I'd arrive early enough in the day before your first park day and do Goofy's Kitchen for dinner. With toddlers, make an early reservation time. Then stroll back through DTD and walk through World of Disney.

A few completely unsolicted suggestions:
* If your accompanying senior cannot walk long distances, I would rent a wheelchair or ECV for the duration of your stay. It would make it easier on all of you to not be too limited in distance or hours if it could be solved with a set of wheels. You could even find a place to park it (like in the stroller parking?) if they do not want to use it all the time, but at least it is available.
* Bring a stroller for your toddlers - either from home or rent from a place that will drop it off at your hotel
* Bring lots of snacks for the kids
* I recommend one non-park day in the middle if you can add a day on to your trip. We took our twins (age 3 at the time) plus a baby and Disney was overstimulating for them. We ended up having one of the best days (defined in this case as non-melting toddlers) out of the park. We were there a week so we had some time, but any of the following was a total hit: stayed at the HoJo and they loved the kids pool area, beach day at Laguna Beach, beach day at Newport beach.

We did a family trip in 2014 and mom has mobility issues. We rented her an offsite scooter and had it delivered to BWPPI. It worked perfectly. Just scooted across the street everyday and didn't have to deal with getting from the car to a rental inside. If you want BWPPI (and I highly recommend) you need to book ASAP. It books up fast.

As others have said, outside of the peak periods, DLR usually only presents fireworks and F! on weekends (Fri, Sat, and Sun). WoC have been (historically) nightly. There is usually at least one daytime parade during the non-peak season, but there might not be a nighttime parade. DLR typically posts their entertainment schedule starting 45-days in advance, but things can be slow to be added.

Regarding the character breakfast, given your situation, I would probably also opt to drive to the meal. You can get validated parking for three hours, but after that you either have to pay or move your car. One option might be to drive over to the breakfast, eat, then have one person drive the car back to the BWPPI/PVI and meet the rest back in the parks somewhere. The other option would be walk from BWPPI/PVI to somewhere in DTD, take a rest break (if it's needed) and then continue on to your destination. It's about a quarter mile (450 yards or about twice the length of Main Street) from the BWPPI/PVI to DL's Main Gate. From there, it's about approximately another half mile to DLH or PPI or quarter mile to GCH.

Another option is to have your character breakfast in the park (DL's Minnie's Breakfast the Plaza Inn is a generally popular choice) and then you don't have to worry about parking or moving the car.

Thank you so much, everyone! I can always count on the DIS folks to have the answers.

-Hoof it across DtD, but given you're limited time I'd consider just hoofing to the Plaza Inn character breakfast inside the park. My understanding is that even if you get a time during EMH & you don't have EMH you can gain entry, but hopefully someone with experience chimes in on the logistics of that so you don't unintentionally use your MM on that. It's as close as you can come to 2 MM.
(Remember with a 3 day PH you have Magic Morning, not Extra Magic Hours. Your only early entry option is Disneyland on Tues, Thur, or Sat.)
Thank you for this! I will look into the Plaza as an option to try to sneak in a second MM. So, I don't think I know the difference between a Magic Morning and an Extra Magic Hour. I assumed the MM you get with park hoppers was just choosing one EMH to attend. Is DL the only option then?

I did the Surf's Up With Mickey and Friends character breakfast at the Paradise Pier Hotel and you get 3 hours free parking (have to get your parking ticket validated at the breakfast). We loved it... food was great, the character interactions were great, I loved The Beach Boys music. We did this on the day we left and booked a later breakfast around 10:15 and it was perfect! It was nice not to waste early morning park time (which is glorious, less crowded) by eating breakfast in the park.
I love this idea!!! I think we will do it for our departure day. Thank you!

* I recommend one non-park day in the middle if you can add a day on to your trip. We took our twins (age 3 at the time) plus a baby and Disney was overstimulating for them. We ended up having one of the best days (defined in this case as non-melting toddlers) out of the park. We were there a week so we had some time, but any of the following was a total hit: stayed at the HoJo and they loved the kids pool area, beach day at Laguna Beach, beach day at Newport beach.
I have been thinking about adding a beach day to either end of the trip. We were planning on 3 park days with long afternoon breaks. Am I still in for toddler meltdown? The girls will be just shy of 2 years old.

It's about a quarter mile (450 yards or about twice the length of Main Street) from the BWPPI/PVI to DL's Main Gate. From there, it's about approximately another half mile to DLH or PPI or quarter mile to GCH.
This is the best description of the distance from hotel to gate I've seen, for putting it into perspective. Thank you!

Thank you so much, everyone! I can always count on the DIS folks to have the answers.

Thank you for this! I will look into the Plaza as an option to try to sneak in a second MM. So, I don't think I know the difference between a Magic Morning and an Extra Magic Hour. I assumed the MM you get with park hoppers was just choosing one EMH to attend. Is DL the only option then?
MM is for anyone with a 3 day or more hopper, on or off-site. EMH is only for On property guests. MM is only offered at DL and you want to be sure you aren't confusing with EMH.

MM is for anyone with a 3 day or more hopper, on or off-site. EMH is only for On property guests. MM is only offered at DL and you want to be sure you aren't confusing with EMH.
Exactly this! Very confusing for first timers because EMH & MM are offered at the same time/day when it comes to DL (and once you enter the park there is zero difference between them).

I'd do a bEach day in the middle of your trip. 2 is still very young. Our 2.5 could only handle a few hours in the parks per day. 2 in am 2 in pm. Plus the time it took to and from the park. Probably an hour each time.

I have not yet used max pass. That being said...definitely get it! My kids were 1 & 2 last trip. By the time you walk to a fp (or send someone) then wait for it. Then ride. Then do rider switch... You get the idea. It takes forever. With little impatient ones it's got to be much easier to get your fp on the phone.

For example sometimes we'd get a fp for splash and not get to use it because we'd have to go 'all the way over there' again.

Sorry to clutter up your thread...if you haven't already start you tubing character interactions and rides. Otherwise your kids may be very scared of the characters.

We ran into the Easter bunny before one trip by accident at the bank. Perfect! Kiddo wasn't scared of characters. Knew what to expect. (Plus we'd been watching videos.)

Plaza inn is awesome. More characters there than any other character meal.

Exactly this! Very confusing for first timers because EMH & MM are offered at the same time/day when it comes to DL (and once you enter the park there is zero difference between them).
Ah! Got it now. Thank you!

With little impatient ones it's got to be much easier to get your fp on the phone. For example sometimes we'd get a fp for splash and not get to use it because we'd have to go 'all the way over there' again.
This is us too. Definitely getting it.

Sorry to clutter up your thread...if you haven't already start you tubing character interactions and rides. Otherwise your kids may be very scared of the characters.
Great tip! Will do!

Thanks again, everyone!

Just FYI...if you book the Plaza on a MM day, the earliest you can book is 710 (is 8am opening, 810 for 9am opening or 910 for 10am opening) and you have to go straight to the Plaza (you will be on a special list). By the time you eat and see all the characters (usually 10-12) it will be after 8, so you woulnd't be getting in early to the parks, if that makes sense.

We have done that time of year before a few times. It's a great time to go! Most recently was early March 2016. We did a T,F,S and while Sat. was more crowded, it wasn't horrible. I think they only did fireworks on the weekend though at that time. We have stayed at Park Vue Inn and loved it! It was cheaper when we stayed there, but we have since stayed at a place that wasn't walking distance and I regretted it. Park Vue is SO close to the entrance and has a decent breakfast too. We are going in November and staying at fairfield inn because it's still very close but is costing us quite a bit less.

Also, I have taken our kids as young as about 2.5 and they were fine all day in the park. Napped in the stroller, etc..grandma babysat whichever kid was under 1 at the time, because I just won't do disney with a baby. An almost 2yo should be fine but it depends on temperament. If you stay within walking distance it'll be easy to take a break if needed. We aren't planning to do maxpass at all- regular fastpass is fine for us and I am not interested in paying $60 a day for our whole family do maxpass.

Just FYI...if you book the Plaza on a MM day, the earliest you can book is 710 (is 8am opening, 810 for 9am opening or 910 for 10am opening) and you have to go straight to the Plaza (you will be on a special list). By the time you eat and see all the characters (usually 10-12) it will be after 8, so you woulnd't be getting in early to the parks, if that makes sense.
Extremely helpful info! Thank you!

Also, I have taken our kids as young as about 2.5 and they were fine all day in the park. Napped in the stroller, etc..
I am going to hope for this but plan for hotel break, just in case. So far, my girls aren't big stroller nappers, but they've also never had the excitement of Disney to tire them out. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter