First Solo Trip - How many days?

erij11

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking of taking my very first solo trip for my birthday in October 2018. I'm thinking of doing 5 nights (Sun-Thurs), with 4 or 5 day park hopper. I am wondering if this might be too long for my first solo trip? I am not sure if I will start to feel lonely by the 3rd or 4th day. I've never traveled solo but I'd like to give it a shot. My daughter will be away at college by then and my husband isn't a Disney person.

How long was your first solo trip? How did it go? Thanks in advance. :)

Well, it kind of depends on you. Personally, I do prefer a shorter trip when I am solo. 2-3 days is where I max out. Remember that as a solo you can move a lot faster and get more done. My first solo trip was 1 full park day and 1 MNSSHP party night. That was it. I loved it, but I knew I didn't feel like running commando through parks much longer than that. I also found I preferred riding the thrill rides, but less so the dark rides, because they feel more fun when shared. That's just my take on it though.

I've worked my way up to a 4 night stay, but I'm also used to traveling solo on business trips. I usually find myself feeling a little lonely by day 3... but only briefly. There's enough fun to be had that you can easily distract yourself with the next activity. I don't know if you're traveling on your actual birthday, but I personally would prefer not to travel alone on that day. But that's just me! Everyone is completely different.

If you don't get to go to Disney World often, 5 nights is a great idea.

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. i currently have 5 nights booked during F&W in October. I've traveled for work solo a handful of times for a week here or there, so I'm not too worried about getting lonely.

I figure I'll golf two times while I'm there and check out Disney Springs for half a day as well. I know I'll definitely miss not having the family come along on some of the rides/attractions -- but I also know I will not get stressed about making sure everyone is having a good time or hoping the youngest isn't throwing food or about to have another epic meltdown. Now that I think about it -- with the WIFI availability everywhere, I could always facetime with my kids and somewhat share the experience. hahaha

Well, it kind of depends on you. Personally, I do prefer a shorter trip when I am solo. 2-3 days is where I max out. Remember that as a solo you can move a lot faster and get more done. My first solo trip was 1 full park day and 1 MNSSHP party night. That was it. I loved it, but I knew I didn't feel like running commando through parks much longer than that. I also found I preferred riding the thrill rides, but less so the dark rides, because they feel more fun when shared. That's just my take on it though.

BrianL, awesome point on being able to get more done in less time. I will definitely put more thought into the length of my trip. I was mostly thinking 4-5 days because I am most likely going to drive from NC and most of my trips with my family have been 4 nights. That seems to be a decent turnaround time for me for driving. I may consider flying but my airport is 2 hours away and I figure I'd spend almost as much travel time with flying as I would driving. And with driving I can bring whatever I want.

I've worked my way up to a 4 night stay, but I'm also used to traveling solo on business trips. I usually find myself feeling a little lonely by day 3... but only briefly. There's enough fun to be had that you can easily distract yourself with the next activity. I don't know if you're traveling on your actual birthday, but I personally would prefer not to travel alone on that day. But that's just me! Everyone is completely different.

If you don't get to go to Disney World often, 5 nights is a great idea.

It's funny you mention day 3 because I haven't done it yet and I'm thinking that's where I'd start to feel lonely, lol. Yes, I'm thinking of traveling and being away on my actual birthday. It will be my 50th Birthday and I know (from years of experience) that nothing special will be planned for me. I love MK and I would love to spend my birthday there and have lunch at BOG. I would love to go for my birthday but my husband won't want to go and my daughter will be in school. I don't want to not go because no one else wants to or can go so hence my first solo trip!

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. i currently have 5 nights booked during F&W in October. I've traveled for work solo a handful of times for a week here or there, so I'm not too worried about getting lonely.

I figure I'll golf two times while I'm there and check out Disney Springs for half a day as well. I know I'll definitely miss not having the family come along on some of the rides/attractions -- but I also know I will not get stressed about making sure everyone is having a good time or hoping the youngest isn't throwing food or about to have another epic meltdown. Now that I think about it -- with the WIFI availability everywhere, I could always facetime with my kids and somewhat share the experience. hahaha

Your plan sounds like a good one. I think I could keep myself busy and occupied and not having to worry about everyone else would be good. I tend to try to make sure everyone is happy and getting to do what they want even if I miss out on doing what I want. I suppose I could Facetime as well with my friends and family if I'm missing them too much.

It's funny you mention day 3 because I haven't done it yet and I'm thinking that's where I'd start to feel lonely, lol. Yes, I'm thinking of traveling and being away on my actual birthday. It will be my 50th Birthday and I know (from years of experience) that nothing special will be planned for me. I love MK and I would love to spend my birthday there and have lunch at BOG. I would love to go for my birthday but my husband won't want to go and my daughter will be in school. I don't want to not go because no one else wants to or can go so hence my first solo trip!

I think that's admirable and fantastic that you're planning a solo trip. There's nothing wrong with doing the things you want to do. It's your birthday!
Since this is October 2018, though, you've got a lot of time to plan.

Just for your consideration before you leave or after you get back... it seems like most of my friends/family who celebrate their birthdays plan their own gatherings. My uncle picked a restaurant for his own 50th Birthday dinner last month and invited a group of friends. Another friend just had his 28th birthday, and he arranged a pot luck lunch picnic in his backyard. Kept it simple, not a lot of money, he just supplied the beers, sodas, and cheese. Just using the day as an excuse for people to get together. Maybe there won't be something special planned for you, but if you can plan your solo trip, you could also plan something to celebrate you!

I did a solo trip for my 50th last summer and it was amazing! I did 4nights/5days and stayed at the Boardwalk. I had so much fun and planned a couple of special events for myself including tea at the Grand Floridian and dinner at the California Grill. In fact, I loved it so much I am going back again this summer to do it all again except for longer. Enjoy your trip!

My first solo trip was 4 nights, 5 days. I was there specifically for F&W and spent 85% of my time at Epcot. I found that was not enough time and now my solo trips tend to be 5 nights 6 days or 6 nights 7 days. I travel solo to other places as well, my son is an adult and can't always get away and my honey hates travelling. I've never been lonely, as a matter of fact, I almost enjoy my solo trips more than my trips with my son.

I find 4 days 3 nights is plenty solo. My second solo trip I completed all 4 parks in two days (thanks to 3 parks in one day). You may operate with my hectic momentum, so 5 days may be more reasonable.

Great suggestion on planning my own party, bryanb. I will think about that. I am the planner in the family and always plan things for everyone else. I started thinking about what I'd like to do for my birthday next year and Disney was the first thing that popped into my mind but I wouldn't have anyone to go with me.

I find 4 days 3 nights is plenty solo. My second solo trip I completed all 4 parks in two days (thanks to 3 parks in one day). You may operate with my hectic momentum, so 5 days may be more reasonable.

This sounds amazing. I would love to do something like this! :)

I did 6 solo.

4 days (including arrival day) for each park. 2 days for Universal.

Hindsight, I can do Universal in a day now, and cut out HS for more Animal Kingdom

My first solo trip I stayed offsite, I had 6 full days in Florida, first day to adapt to rest from the trip and jetlag and visit downtown Disney, and then 5 days in the park, 2 days for MK and one day for each other park.
On my second solo trip I did one day and half a day in Universal Studio and Islands of Adventure, no need for more as a solo there are plenty of single rider lines in those parks, and then 4 days in Disney parks.
It always seems too short for me even as solo.
My next trip will be with my best friend and will be 7 days in Disney parks, that should be better :)

I typically do either 3 nights/4 days or 4 nights/5 days when solo. I've done one trip of 5 night/6 days solo. 3 nights/4 days is just a quickie trip - and I tend to push really hard to go-go-go these trips - and I'm exhausted at the end. For me, I think 4 nights/5 days is perfect for me because I leave on Sunday first thing in the morning and return late on Thursday night. This gives me one day at work that week - and the weekend to catch up at home. The one time I did the 5 nights/6 days - I was just peeved my significant other didn't come for part it (and add on a couple days) and wished we had made part of that a couples trip with him coming down later in the week and maybe making that an 8 day trip - with 3-4 as a couple. So - I think my sweet spot is 4 nights/5 days.

How long was your first solo trip? How did it go?
My first solo trip was September 2007 (10 years ago, WOW) and was 10 days.
It was perfect for me. Two full days in each park the two days to relax and
explore. I loved spending time at the hotel, I loved spending a day riding the
Monorail and the boats to explore the other hotels. I watched the fireworks
from the beach at Fort Wilderness.

I did a two week solo trip once. And I loved it.

First of all I was retired so I had the time. I also had DVC points and an AP. I probably had airline miles too.

I was at the time taking care of my elderly father so this was respite for me to be away. Also it was at Christmas so there was so much to do in addition to the regular park stuff. I always get a car so I think I did some Christmas shopping too.

But I was also used to going solo as I'd been to Orlando on many, many business trips (which of course meant I had to go to a park or two even if I had no one to go with).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter