First Time Campers

dolewhipandpixiedust

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone! We’re looking into camping at The Fort in September of this year and it will be our first time camping there and our first time driving all the way from Michigan. Does anyone have any tips for us? Also we’re thinking of splitting the drive so does anyone have any recommendations for where to stay at night?
Thanks!

My advise, get past any major cities before rush hour before stopping, especially Atlanta.

We always make it a 3 day drive.
Day 1..... Detroit - into Tennessee.
Day 2 ..... Either Valdosta Ga or Lake City Fl.
Day 3 into Disney.

Last edited:

My advise, get past any major cities before rush hour before stopping, especially Atlanta.

We always make it a 3 day drive.
Day 1..... Detroit - into Tennessee.
Day 2 ..... Either Valdosta Ga or Lake City Fl.
Day 3 into Disney.

agree on Atlanta, also Chattanooga, they can suck the life out of you
from northern Illinois (i don't like to drive over 400mi a day)
day 1-benton, IL
day-2-cassville, GA
day-3-ocala, FL
day-4-FW before 11am

We are also about 400 miles a day, different route from Michigan but

Day 1, Just outside of St Louis, MO
Day 2, KOA at Manchester, TN
Day 3, Valdosta, GA
Day 4, Disney, just depends on what time we leave Valdosta.

ETA: we are probably about the same distance, 1500 miles.

I would suggest that you bring all the supplies that you need for the trip. You don't want to waste any time going to the store. And, buying supplies at the camp store gets a bit pricey. You also might want to bring some food for the grill. If it is not too hot, and if you can bring your bikes, riding bikes is fun.

I would suggest that you bring all the supplies that you need for the trip. You don't want to waste any time going to the store. And, buying supplies at the camp store gets a bit pricey. You also might want to bring some food for the grill. If it is not too hot, and if you can bring your bikes, riding bikes is fun.
Oh yes! There’s no way I’m stopping at the store on vacation lol. Thanks for the tips!

And, you can buy refillable mugs at the campground. IF we are close to a "refill location" we buy the mugs. And, in-line with what bama_ed said-if we are at Disney during the rainy season, we always carry ponchos with us.

Stops all depend on your driving and what you are comfortable doing. As you have seen above, some do 3 days, some 4. I can do a 600 mile day with no problems, but we have no kids, just DW and I. I know some that do longer straight thru trips some of our longer haulers.
Fuel stops add time and if you are making separate bathrooms stops it slows you more.
Disney in September. :firefight HOT and Humid. We did September a couple of years ago, plan to use the mornings and evenings. Remember in September there are Mickeys Not so Scary Halloween parties that close MK on some nights, usually Sun, Tue and Friday. It is hard to do park opening to closing in September, just too Hot and Humid.

Stops all depend on your driving and what you are comfortable doing. As you have seen above, some do 3 days, some 4. I can do a 600 mile day with no problems, but we have no kids, just DW and I. I know some that do longer straight thru trips some of our longer haulers.
Fuel stops add time and if you are making separate bathrooms stops it slows you more.
Disney in September. :firefight HOT and Humid. We did September a couple of years ago, plan to use the mornings and evenings. Remember in September there are Mickeys Not so Scary Halloween parties that close MK on some nights, usually Sun, Tue and Friday. It is hard to do park opening to closing in September, just too Hot and Humid.
My husband and I can go long distances easily so hopefully that’ll cut down on extra bathroom stops!

Just out of curiosity, what are you driving, pulling, etc? Are you bringing your own home away from home or are you doing the cabins?
When we stayed in one of the resorts and I would drive the car down from MD I would run 13 hours to Jacksonville and stay with my aunt. Next day was a short 2 1/2 hour drive to WDW.
When we started going to FL in our coach my marathon runs south were shortened to 6 to 7 hour days. I just can't hang like I used to. LOL! I have found that driving and towing are actually a lot more stressful and tiring than being in a car.

Just out of curiosity, what are you driving, pulling, etc? Are you bringing your own home away from home or are you doing the cabins?
When we stayed in one of the resorts and I would drive the car down from MD I would run 13 hours to Jacksonville and stay with my aunt. Next day was a short 2 1/2 hour drive to WDW.
When we started going to FL in our coach my marathon runs south were shortened to 6 to 7 hour days. I just can't hang like I used to. LOL! I have found that driving and towing are actually a lot more stressful and tiring than being in a car.
We will be driving my husbands duramax and pulling a trailer! My husband is eager to get there so we will see how long he can go before a break

Last edited:
We will be driving my husbands duramax and pulling a trailer! My husband is eager to get there so we will see how Hong he can go before a break

Sounds like my husband when he was younger. We drive from Cleveland and usually make the trip in two days. Ok I should use past tense because we don’t camp down there anymore. He just can’t make the drive anymore and now we fly and stay in a hotel. He misses the Fort though and loves camping in Florida and is thinking about finding a place down there to leave the camper.

Sounds like my husband when he was younger. We drive from Cleveland and usually make the trip in two days. Ok I should use past tense because we don’t camp down there anymore. He just can’t make the drive anymore and now we fly and stay in a hotel. He misses the Fort though and loves camping in Florida and is thinking about finding a place down there to leave the camper.
That would be perfect! My husband has wanted to get a camper for the last 5 years and he’s finally getting one this year. We normally fly and stay at a value but since we’re gonna have a camper now I said screw it let’s road trip it and you would’ve thought I told him he won a million dollars!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!