Retroduck

Earning My Ears
Hello! I stumbled upon this today and I know I’m crazy early, but I’m planning a 2023 vacation to Disney World.

My kids will be 5 and 7 and since it is in 2023, I’d love to get some insight now on how long we should plan on going for and everyone’s must-do experiences for younger kids. Is this even a good age range to go? Also, we would be able to go anytime in Nov - April, so would love some ideas there on when it’s less busy.

We will be flying and are budgeting now for this trip (have $2500 saved so far). Realistically, this will be the only time we will travel here unless we can again a few years after and save again so I would love to hear some must have/do things and what a good place to stay would be for us.

Thanks so much! I’ve been lurking for a few hours now and there’s just so much great info on here.

Hello! I stumbled upon this today and I know I’m crazy early, but I’m planning a 2023 vacation to Disney World.

My kids will be 5 and 7 and since it is in 2023, I’d love to get some insight now on how long we should plan on going for and everyone’s must-do experiences for younger kids. Is this even a good age range to go? Also, we would be able to go anytime in Nov - April, so would love some ideas there on when it’s less busy.

We will be flying and are budgeting now for this trip (have $2500 saved so far). Realistically, this will be the only time we will travel here unless we can again a few years after and save again so I would love to hear some must have/do things and what a good place to stay would be for us.

Thanks so much! I’ve been lurking for a few hours now and there’s just so much great info on here.
I would recommend a November trip. You’ll get a lot of opinions on here of when it is less busy or not but set your expectations now that any time you choose to go will be busy. November is cooler weather and you’ll get to see some Christmas decorations as well. If this is your first and maybe only trip I’d recommend staying 7 nights on property. The hotels I think that are best are the Epcot resort hotels and the skyliner hotels. These hotels give you quick easy access to two parks (HS and Epcot) and no other hotels can give you that. Must do’s for us are the classic rides in MK (haunted mansion, pirates etc) rise of the resistance in HS, flights of passage at AK and soarin at Epcot. There are a lot of options and these boards will give you some great info. I’d budget for food without the use of the dining plan. If you plan it right and do the target hack of 5% off on Disney gift cards (even if just for dining) I think you’ll end up saving money vs the Disney dining plan. Good luck planning!

Yeah that’s a good age range. At 5 and 7 they will be able to ride the large majority of the rides at Disney, but will still be able to appreciate some of the magic. I would spend at least a week there though 10 days would be preferable. Are your kids boys or girls or one of each?

Hotel is a very complicated question. If you want to be budget conscious pop century is one of the “value” resorts but has the benefit of the skyliner for transportation. If you are really trying to stick to a tight budget the all star resorts aren’t bad as long as you don’t go when there is a sports competition going on. By then all of their rooms should be renovated. I personally would rather stay at pop than any of the moderates other that port orleans French quarter because they are just such huge properties. That makes it a pain to get to the pool or food court unless you get a preferred room.

If you want to splurge since this is your only trip the deluxe resorts are which one is the right fit for your family depends on you guys. Beach Club/Yacht Club has the best pool, but to use the slide the kids have to leave the pool enclosure so at that age you may not like that. Boardwalk is a good option because it’s close to both Hollywood studios and Epcot, though it doesn’t have the best quick service dining options and some people hate the clown pool. Poly tends to be the most expensive, it has a great pool and dining options but can get a bit loud. Grand Floridian some people say is stuffy. The rooms need some updating. I love the contemporary because you can walk to magic kingdom but the pool is meh. Wilderness lodge is one of the more affordable deluxe resorts and is very relaxing, but the look and feel doesn’t suit everyone. AKL I haven’t been to because you have to take a bus to all of the parks from there and we aren’t all that interested in the animals or the dining options, but some people absolutely love it. I’ve heard Rivera is nice, though I don’t think it’s worth the price they are charging for rooms.

Here is what we liked for our one and done:
- stayed at Port Orleans French Quater - highly recommend as it is nice, manageable size and has the cool water taxi to Disney Springs. If you can afford Deluxe do that; this was nice if not though.

- Do 2 days at Magic Kingdom (one is not enough). For the other parks you can probably hit most highlights in 1 day each but if you can do a longer trip to add extra days at those too then that lets you go at a more relaxed pace.
- suggest taking a day off mid-week to just let the kids enjoy the pool and have no schedules.
- 5 and 7 should be good. 6 and 8 would be ideal in my view.
- Found the quick service food at Magic Kingdom kind of yuck except for lunch at Be Our Guest which was good (need to pre-order to avoid the crazy waits at terminals though)
- From our research the dining planned seemed to be perhaps worth it if you planned to do a lot of character meals, but otherwise not.
- Kenny the Pirate website had GREAT info on exactly when specific characters would show up vs take breaks. We used it to time the 2 characters we wanted to see perfectly.
- Magic Kingdom fireworks were amazing - even if your kids are not night owls, bite the bullet and do them (we did a break mid-day to help swing it)
- read these boards a lot. There is SO much good info here and on the Touring Plans website; it will save you time money and hassle.

The ages are great but realize that the younger they are, the less likely they are to remember. DS was 4.5YO for his first Disney experience and really doesn't remember any of it. DD remembers some. There are lots of resources around for the first time visit, including https://**************.net/. It's helpful but just remember everyone has their own views so just weigh it and decide what is right for your family.
- WDW is a lot of walking. I would prepare for it and prepare for a lot of breaks with shorter legs in tow.
- Dining plan is a lot and most people find doing OOP a bit cheaper unless you eat a lot. Especially as you can either bring some things or use Garden Grocer or the like to get some food to save on breakfasts and other snacks. BOG is great for lunch and the atmosphere is fun.
- if you want to do the makeovers, consider Pirate's League over BBB for price or just stopping by the barber shop on Main Street for a sprinkle of glitter. Which will turn into the souvenir that keeps on giving as it will never leave.
- make sure to look at the different amenities of the resorts to decide what is the right style for your family and budget. Even if it is off-site.
- WDW is a pre-planner's paradise. DLR can be more seat of the pants approach but WDW you need to be on your game to get the desired ADRs and FPs.
- ditto reading the boards. Man, it made our trips so.much.better. It helped to plan a ton and I was able to pick a good itinerary and restaurants for all of us.

5 and 7 are great ages to go. The kids will be tall enough to ride almost everything and old enough that you won't have to drag clothes/diapers and a million other things into the parks that toddlers and babies require. Don't get me wrong, taking little ones is a blast too, but waiting until age 5 definitely has some perks, especially for a possibly once in a lifetime trip. Anything in the 1-2 week range would probably work well depending on what you can afford and how much time vacation time you're able to take. I'd recommend at least 2 days at MK and 1 at each of the other parks. Do more if you're able and don't forget some down time as well, especially if it will be swimming weather.

As for hotels, really it depends on what you can afford and what amenities are important to you. The value resorts are the cheapest (unless you go for a suite, which can be as or more expensive than some of the moderate and deluxe resorts). Art of Animation and Pop Century have gondola transportation to HS and Epcot. For MK and AK it's only bus. The other values only have buses. They all have kid friendly theming and pools but no water slides or hot tubs. There are no table service restaurants, but do have quick service locations with lots of options.

The moderates (with the exception of Port Orleans French Quarter) are all large and spread out. Excluding FQ, the mods all have multiple bus stops which can be good and bad. If you're at a later stop, the bus may fill up before your stop. The good thing about multiple stops is your room will be pretty close to a bus stop and you can take the bus to get around your resort if you wish. Moderate resorts (except FQ which only has QS) have a TS restaurant and QS options, along with nicely themed pools and kids splash pads, water slides, and hot tubs. Port Orleans has boat transportation to Disney Springs. Caribbean Beach offers the gondolas for HS and Epcot. All other transport is by bus.

The deluxe resorts are the most expensive and generally physically closer to one or more of the parks. Some have boat or monorail transportation to one or more parks and a couple are walking to distance to a park. All have pools with water slides and hot tubs, most have a cool kids splash pad, and all have TS and QS options.

There are also the campsites and the cabins at Fort Wilderness. The campsites offer tent, motor home, and RV camping. (Disney does not rent any of these out, just the campsites!) The cabins are cute and have a kitchen and living room along with a bedroom with a queen bed and a set of bunkbeds. Fort Wilderness is very spread out, although there are internal buses that will take you around the resort. There are TS and QS options, a dinner show, playgrounds, pools (one with a slide), horses, various recreational activities, and boat transportation to MK.

The best resort is the one fits your budget and meets your needs. Personally, we don't stay at values as water slides and hot tubs are important aspects of vacation to us. A lot of people don't like large, spread out resorts, but we love Caribbean Beach and Saratoga Springs because they are spread out and more relaxing to us.

If you will be doing a lot of character meals, the dining plan may be beneficial as the character meals are pricey so it makes it easier to hit the daily price of the ddp. We found them to be a great way to meet some characters without taking extra time at the parks or using up more FPs for the character lines. In general, the food won't be as good as other restaurants, but we feel it's still worth it with kids as you can knock out meeting a lot of characters while you eat.

Must dos are going to vary depending on your interests and finances. Dessert parties are a fun way to relax at the end of the night, eat some desserts, and have reserved viewing for the fireworks, but they are very expensive. Lots of princess-obsessed little girls love getting makeovers at BBB ($$) or doing the Perfectly Princess tea experience ($$$) where Aurora makes an appearance. There's also the Wonderland Tea Party at the Grand Floridian with Alice and the Mad Hatter where kids make crafts, sip juice and have a cupcake. My kids love the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show, as well as eating at Cinderella's Royal Table and Sci Fi (sit in booths that look like cars and watch clips of old movies drive-in style). They also love the water parks and pools.

Go when the kids are in school, not on a break.
School breaks are super busy. We really like January. We escape the cold weather where we live , apart from the MLK holliday the rest of the month is very easy going. The best part is the high in Orlando is 70-80s .
We are planning a universal trip later that year so you are not alone in planning. They are opening there 4th park in 2023 Maybe that will help the disney traffic as well.
If possible look into renting dvc points. Having a full kitchen is so nice. There is a thread about it.

I’m so glad I found your thread. I’m planning a trip in 2022 and taking our grandchildren who will be 5 & 7 at that time. Our last trip was 18 years ago and so much has changed. I’m glad we have some planning time.

I’m trying to figure out when reservations open for fall 2022. Going anywhere with little ones seems to take twice as long so we’re planning a few extra days to make things more relaxed. I’m thinking 2 days for MK, 2 for Epcot, and 1 each for HS and AK.
Good luck with your planning!

Unless you have a pool, make sure to schedule in some pool time. The afternoon pool parties were one of the highlights of my kid's trip. Also, a lot of the rides have activities/games/play areas at the end, work that into your schedule and let the kids play for 10 minutes/do two activities. It is so much more fun to say yes on vacation than no. AK has a giant playground in Dinoland called The Boneyard, this is a must do to for unstructured play. Plan to eat about 30 mins before normal meals times to avoid hangry kids. ADRs sometimes run late and QS can have long lines. Bring emergency fruit snacks. I would say to do one character meal, we prefer the family style ones so there is no juggling multiple plates.

As for where to stay, think about the sleeping arrangements that are deal breakers for your family. Do the kids need separate sleeping surfaces? Will everyone go to bed at the same time?

You have lots of time to plan which is awesome! Pre-covid, you would have to sign up for ADRs (advanced dining reservations) 6 months ahead of your trip. You will find a lot of posts on this site about how people planned where and when to eat and woke up at the designated time to sign up for those reservations and if they didn't get the ones they want, there are 3rd party services that can help alert you when they become available (or check back frequently yourself to snag them). Right now, that isn't the case and who knows if it will be again but I would be looking out for that if I were you.

5&7 are great ages, they will still see the "magic" and yay for not having to change diapers in the park :). A Disney trip is a great excuse to start upping your exercise (if you don't already) to get everyone fit and ready for lots and lots of walking.

As far as what resort to stay at, take your time and browse all the videos and pictures and look at the menus. There are an overwhelming amount of youtube videos that showcase each resort. Just keep in mind 2023 is quite far away and things will definitely change between now and then.

We've taken our kiddos twice (they are toddlers) and my best advice for any parent is to over prepare and then be ready to let it go. Move at the kids speeds, spend the time where they are happy, be ok with canceling a fast pass or dinner reservation if it just isn't going to work out. It's a vacation, you are there for memories and to have fun. Beware over-scheduling and quite frankly, this forum (love you all!!) can sometimes encourage that unintentionally. The families that I have seen having meltdowns in the parks are often the ones rushing to see "everything" and trying to stick to a schedule that just isn't working for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter