first time goers-need help!!

azariascout

Earning My Ears
We are taking our kids to Disney World for the first time December 13th-21st. The kids are both young ages 3-girl, and 1-boy. We already have some things planned out, but we want to make sure we don't miss out on anything going on at this time of year that we might have missed.
We already know about the Very Merry Christmas Party, and the Candlelight Procession, as well as a few of the hotel's having special designs-anything else that we need to do to make this trip special for the kids? Thanks for all your help!-Azaria

Just make sure you take time to have some breaks, especially w/the children being young. I've never been during Christmas, but we went during Thanksgiving one year. It's such a wonderful feeling to be there during the holidays and during cooler weather. Your children are gonna have a wonderful time and you'll have fun just watching their reactions to everything. Have a great trip! :)

Cindy

try not to see and do it all... move at the kids pace. If they want to small world 5 times, get some ear plugs and grin and bear it. If you decide to do the xmas party, have the kids take a late nap if possible... this will be a long day of they don't nap. Lastly... enjoy yourself and them

I know when my sister and I were those ages my parents would try to make sure we went to the parks early in the day and come back to swim in the pool or take naps later in the day. I was also about 4 years old when I tackled Goofy on Main Street! My parents were a little surprised considering the year before I'd been terrified of the characters! Don't be surprised if the kids are a little weary of the characters at first, they can be pretty big to a small child. We also just traveled with my little 5 year old cousin Joey who found a nap in the afternoon was perfect for him and then he was ready for the parks at night and the fireworks shows. He's an old Disney pro though so he was use to the characters. One of his traditions is having his 'famous' picture every year wit Mickey in Toontown Fair. I know the line is usually long but it really is worth it for the 5 minutes one on one you get with the Mouse. Other than that, just take it slow! Enjoy watching your kids see everything for the first time!

I agree with everyone else, let the children sort of give you clues on the pace and what they want to see.

Also, check with where you are staying to see if they have any special activities while you are there.

The last time we stayed at CBR during Christmas, they had holiday-related activities going on in the evenings. My little DS's picture with Santa from that year is with one in a tropical shirt, beard and Santa hat -- it is great.

You'll love WDW at Christmas!

As others have said, be accommodating to your childrens' schedules. If your 1YO is used to napping from 12 noon to 3pm, you'll have a MUCH more enjoyable trip if you plan to be in that hotel room daily from 12-3. Likewise, don't expect the kids to necessarily cooperate if you want to push them out the door for Early Entry if they are typically late-risers.

Remember, your kids' biological clocks don't know (or care) that you're on vacation.

If you want to help introduce your children to the characters, look for some of the Disney Sing-Along-Songs videos that feature the live WDW characters. The best is called Disneyland Fun. It's definitely showing its age (had to have been filmed in the mid-80s), but you'll see Mickey, Minnie, Pooh, et al. singing and dancing down Main Street. We got that tape for our 18mo son about 3-4 months prior to our trip last fall, and he had no problems interacting with the characters.

They also have videos with beach and campground themes that were filmed at Disney World.

When you arrive, make time for the characters. IMO, the indoor greeting areas are the best format for visiting with them. You don't have to stand in the hot sun, and you're basically guaranteed of getting to see the characters before you leave the building. If you line-up to meet a character outdoors, there's always a chance he/she will have to leave before you get to the front of the line.

Your 3yo daughter would probably love one of the princess Character Meals.

Try to plan a meal at Cindarella's Royal Table. Kinda neat to tell people you ate in the castle. The servers are a hoot. Often times you'll be treated to Captain Hook chasing Peter Pan around the upper-floor balconies of the castle.

Below is a great list of "Overlooked Attractions" if you want to try and do something that's off the beaten path:

http://www.wdwig.com/ola.htm

Most of all, remember you're on vacation. Take time to enjoy it as such. So-called "commando" touring is not meant for those with small children.

Even with a week at WDW there is absolutely NO WAY that you will be able to do everything!!! Remember that. Repeat it to yourselves often. :D

I went last year, same week, with a 4 year old boy and a 1 year old girl. The weather was perfect and there were almost no lines. Don't miss the kid-cot stations in the world showcase at Epcot. The CMs from all over the world will talk to and play with your kids. Plus your children will end up with a cool keepsake. Last year it was paper masks, decorated and stamped at each country.

I was really looking forward to the candlelight processional, but, even with dinner and a show the line was long and the show was very crowded. It was a little too much for my children. They did much better at the parades(lots of color and movement). With the light crowds, the CMs in the parades alway noticed and interacted with the small kids.

Have fun! Take lots of naps and pictures!

Disnee Dad Says.........................We like commando style, but three is way too young for that.

I would like to say that this is your vacation too. I'd see if you can't hook up babysitting services for a couple nights.
Grab a couple FP's for the wilder rides, have a nice dinner, miss the kids so you end up going back to the hotel early! lol:Pinkbounc

ok, my off the wall strategy has always been not to go to the Magic Kingdom the first day that you are at WDW. Depends on which day you start off I suppose, but say start Monday. Go to MGM on Monday, Animal Kingdom on Tuesday, and then MK on Wednsday, then Epcot Friday. This works SOMETIMES for me b/c I find that people are most likely (not scientific or anything) to go to MK the first day, Epcot 2nd, MGM 3rd, AK the 4th.. then start over. It's like the natural progression that everyone herds into. Coincidentally, it also follows the order in which the parks were built.

Like I said, nothing scientific, but try it. It can't hurt, unless you kids are really set on going to MK the first day. I have had luck, and MK will be really slow say on Wed, when everyone is at MGM. HEHE.. just my voodoo.

Welcome to the boards!! We just returned with our 3 year old and 1 year old. My suggestion is to plan on going to MK before Dec. 18/19th because the park will become swamped at that point. Definitely take afternoon breaks at the hotel. I hope you are staying on site for at least part of your trip. It really makes things easier. Read up on Epcot's WS. It has lots of things kids like that you really don't notice when you're just strolling thorugh. Go early and use Fast Pass. Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter