First time going to Disneyland

KristyP

Earning My Ears
This is our first time flying overseas and we are going to Los Angeles for 7 days. we are so excited. has anyone got some tips for us. and has anyone Driving in La before?.:dog2:

I would skip the obligatory tour of "Hollywood". But, I think it's something that everyone has to do just so that you realise how underwhelming Hollywood and Beverly Hills really are (although Marilyn Monroe's house was pretty cute. I couldn't imagine a modern day Hollywood star living in such an "open / accessible" home).

If it's your first time to Disneyland, I would try to spend at least four to five days there. As such, I would stay in Anaheim as opposed to elsewhere in LA. You may want to consider visiting Universal Studios and/or LEGOLAND as well. But, depending upon who is going, visiting so many different theme parks could be too tiring so you may want to stick to Disneyland and California Adventure.

We've never driven there. Personally, I would try to avoid driving in LA, but it probably depends upon your comfort levels with heavy traffic, foreign road rules and congested motorways.

As this is your first time overseas you should seriously consider whether or not if it is a good idea to drive. It is stressful driving on the opposite side of the road and getting used to it. The person who is driving will miss out on some things simply because they have to concentrate. We have been to the states a number of times and lived there for a year and each time we go it still takes my hubbie a little while to adjust and to remember things like how they mark exit on the freeways. For your first time overseas it might be a good idea to get shuttles or tours and just enjoy the experience. Dont try to cram in to much and do some simple things and enjoy the differences compared to home. To some people this will sound strange but we like to go food shopping in different countries when we are there. We like to purchase enough things to make up a picnic and enjoy the differences in both the food and the shopping experience.

We've been twice and my husband has driven both times. We love the freedom of having a car. He says that drivers in LA are much more considerate than those in Melbourne. If you drive, make sure you have a GPS.
We also love visiting supermarkets there, and our favourite shop is Walmart. You have to go to experience it!

I partly agree with above I would stay 2 nights in LA/Hollywood and do the touristy stuff there then move to Anaheim to do Disney and beaches.

We really like Hollywood area. There are plenty of things to see along the stars walk area at the chinese theatre area. You can do wax museum and ripleys. There is a good view of the Hollywood sign from the Hollywood and highland shopping area.

In Hollywood check out lowes Hollywood and Magic castle hotel for accommodation.

From here you can easily do Universal Studios and city walk area.

The grove shopping centre and Farmers Markets are great to visit. Griffith park is lovely to visit.

At Anaheim I strongly suggest staying off property at a hotel across the street in close walking distance.

We love Fairfield Inn by Marriott and the Howard Johnson.

In Anaheim you can spend days at Disney but also drive to some lovely beach areas (Huntington beach, laguna beach, Newport beach), do some shopping, drive to san diego (approx. 2 hours) to do LEGOLAND, the zoo, seaworl.

We have always driven and find it fine.... takes a bit to get used to but not too bad.... as someone else said drivers are surprisingly very considerate.

If not we use Lansky Transport for our transfers and he is awesome.

Hi KristyP

I would agree with the advice to spend some time in Los Angeles but base yourself in Anaheim when visiting Disneyland, and you will need a few days to do Disneyland. Across the two parks and Downtown Disney, you will find your days very full (but fun).

Sorry can't help you with driving in USA, we always use transfers/public transport and stay within walking distance of Disneyland.

What time of the year are you going?

Most, if not all, rental cars are automatics. So, it just becomes a case of making sure you stay on the other side of the road.
The hardest bit about driving in the US is safely navigating yourself out of the rental car parking lot. Once you leave the parking lot and get on the road, it gets easier. Once you are on the freeways (and after the initial freak-out about the number of lanes and the amount of traffic), everyone is travelling in the same direction and it just becomes "driving".
The Californian drivers are normally very polite. Much more polite than Aussie drivers when it comes to letting you in, especially if you indicate.

Enjoy your vacation and the planning.

I'd also agree with staying in Anaheim, plenty of accommodation options right near the parks and you can see a bit more on your travels. Two days was enough for me in LA proper when we were hitting the tourist highlights to tick them off. The last trip we just relaxed and explored suburbia a bit and that was nice as well. Our next trip we will explore some of the neighbourhoods that the tourist tours drive you past.

Driving is no problem once you have your "head in the game", and the great thing about LA is there is always a car in front to follow! LOL. A GPS is a must though, if possible take your own and buy the USA maps, that way you'll be used to how it gives directions. Check out some parking apps that will help identify where to park in and around LA.

Oh, buy fruit to keep in hotel room (apples, bananas and such), they arent big on veggies and fruit in meals the way we are, we wound up craving fresh stuff early in the trip.

HTH and have a fabulous trip.

I agree that most of LA was over-rated, but we enjoyed getting our photo taken in front of the Hollywood sign, TCL Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard and Venice Beach. Santa Monica pier was ok too. The Hollywood Walk of Fame really was just a footpath with stars on it and the road was grotty and full of people trying to scam you into paying for a photo with them dressed as Darth Vader or someone. Rodeo Drive was just a shopping street with expensive shops. We've only been once and spent 5 days at Disneyland and after that really didn't feel like Universal or Legoland. DH drove in LA and found it stressful but manageable.

When we go back this year we're just going straight to Disneyland for a week and skipping everything else. If we get bored we might head down to San Diego Zoo for a day.

Agree with the tip about keep fruit in your room. Also, we stayed at the Howard Johnson (HoJo's) and they don't do breakfast so we saved money by buying cereal and milk and making our own breakfast. We also bought bread and peanut butter and muesli bars and self-catered lunch a couple of days.

First time overseas will be very exciting! And as far as Disneyland goes, your going to my favourite one (so far! We've been to Hong Kong and Paris as well, but not Disney World). Have an awesome time! This is a fantastic place for getting advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter