First Time Scooter User Questions

bookgirl2632

DIS Veteran
I’m planning my trip for, hopefully, next year. My mom will need a scooter this time. I am adept at most things Disney, but this is new to me. I have several questions/concerns and looking for some insight.

1. I know that only Scooterbug is allowed to deliver and pickup without you being there. How easy is it with the other area companies, particularly Gold Mobility and Buena Vista?
2. When boarding the bus, do my sister and I board with my mother or do we wait? I don’t want to take advantage and jump the line simply because she will have a scooter.
3. In the parks, she may want to do some walking. Can we park the scooter somewhere and perhaps walk around shops or just the “land” that we are in?

Last edited:
So much of your decision will depend on how far your mom can walk on a regular basis. I haven't used any of the companies you referenced, however last year I should have as I was a month out from getting a TKR. I rented scooters at the parks, but it was a difficult walk if there wasn't a wheelchair available at handicap parking, thus, getting a private rental will ensure her comfort. Park hopping was a nightmare. You should work with a company that will get the chair to her whether in the lobby or at your villa.

You travel as a group and are in "line" together. Rest assured, you are not cutting a line and your group deserves as much accessibility to rides and attractions as any mobile person has.

There are areas to park scooters, mostly for rides, not so much to go in stores (thinking Main Street) so you should try to get an idea of where they are before you go to a park so you can do a bit of advanced planning. She should get up and walk around a bit if she can, as sitting all day just makes for more stiffness in joints IMO.

Enjoy your trip!

1 I have heard gold is very good at meeting you where and when you need and there scooter are very good.

2 for the bus the person in the scooter and 5 wait ( or about 5) so with two other you will be fine waiting with the scooter rider

3. Yes you can park the scooter and walk around. I would ask a CM where you can park it so you are not blocking something ( like the game that you play with the cards ).

To clarify, my mother doesn’t have trouble walking. But she is 75, so she just can’t walk that much all day, every day. She really felt it last year on our trip and told me that she would like a scooter when we go again. She’ll be fine going through the ride lines and walking for short periods of time.

You can take the scooter in most lines. There are a few rides where you can’t take it in. (Big Thunder, Star Tours and a few others. On those rides the Cm will give you a return time and direct you where to go, usually the fast pass line or the exit.

1. Depends on the company. Walker, Gold, Randy's (the latter having always operated this way) will arrange to meet with you as conveniently for you as they can. Buena Vista and some other companies offer set scheduled drop off and pickup.
2 for the bus the person in the scooter and 5 wait ( or about 5) so with two other you will be fine waiting with the scooter rider
2. Current absolute limit is six people. Wait in line and follow the bus driver's istructions. Buses are currently zoned, maximum 25 passengers.
3. Yes.

I’m planning my trip for, hopefully, next year. My mom will need a scooter this time. I am adept at most things Disney, but this is new to me. I have several questions/concerns and looking for some insight.

1. I know that only Scooterbug is allowed to deliver and pickup without you being there. How easy is it with the other area companies, particularly Gold Mobility and Buena Vista?
2. When boarding the bus, do my sister and I board with my mother or do we wait? I don’t want to take advantage and jump the line simply because she will have a scooter.
3. In the parks, she may want to do some walking. Can we park the scooter somewhere and perhaps walk around shops or just the “land” that we are in?

1. I have used both Buena Vista and Gold. However, when I used Buena Vista, it was at a time when they could drop off your scooter at the resort. The quality of the scooters was very hit or miss. I had mine quit in the morning at Hollywood Studios even though the battery had been charged over night in my room. It was "battle-scarred" as well. The replacement that they brought worked ok for the rest of the trip but had a squeaky wheel that drove me crazy. Thankfully, I only needed it for that HS day and one more. Their customer service was just ok. My past couple of trips, I have rented from Gold Mobility. I absolutely recommend them! The scooters are practically new and their customer service is phenomenal. My experience on delivery day has been low-stress. They will contact you via text to let you know when they are on their way and when they arrive. They will adjust the seat settings and the tiller for your comfort level. They will also give you a quick lesson on how to use the scooter if you like.
Questions #2 and #3 have already been answered by others, so I won't re-hash what they have already said.

something to add to #3 when parked put the back of seat down. also in case of rain or looks like rain cover the controls with "shower cap" and place a poncho over the seat.

I had a TKR and needed a Hip replacement as well so I have been ordering scooters at Disney for about 1 year and a half. I have always used a company that can drop them off without you there. I've used Big Apple and Scooter Bug. I only once had an ECV that didn't last the day. Then I realized what the "box" was at the bottom of the scooter, they had given me a 2nd battery pack! You can leave it nearly anyplace where you see strollers lined up. If you can find a plug, plug yours in to charge. Even a half hour helps.

They will walk you through using it if you don't use Scooter Bug. The tiller turns it left or right. It's adjustable back and forth. The seat has a lever and you can turn your seat to the right or left a quarter turn at a time. There is a key that comes out and turns it on and off. Take it with you when you leave it. There's a lever that controls it forward and backward. And there is a speed control next to the key. This is an important feature and needed to get on and off a bus, the monorail, a boat or the Skyliner.

Most stores have room for an ECV, especially today because of COVID-19. Watch the floor markings! If you can't get into an aisle, tell a cast member. They took down a rope for me in the candy store on Main St 2 weeks ago. Nearly all rides are ADA accessible. Ask a cast member at the entrance. I've taken an ECV through the line on Pirates, Pooh and It's a Small World to name a few. Something like Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth you go in through the exit. Again, ask a cast member.

The buses are great, they will keep your party together if you want. Stand with your Mom. It's OK to go around the lines at the bus stations at the parks. There are rectangles on the ground for her to park and wait for a bus. ECV's are first one's on the bus and last ones off. There's a handicapped gate. Stay behind the yellow line. Parking the EVC on a bus is easy, if you can parallel park. Pull it on the bus and make a quick right. Get the rear edge or your ECV lined up with the end of the area where it parks. Slowly (turn the knob down on the ECV) and go backwards turning the front wheel and pull in the space until you're at a 45% angle and then turn back the EVC to straight and pull in the space. The driver will ask you if you want to stay in it or transfer to a seat. I always stay in mine. The driver will then lock it down with belts and put a seat belt on the rider. Don't forget to turn off the ECV and remove the key. Do NOT let the driver take the key. I once had a driver insist she had to take the key. I told her no, it wasn't her property, she insisted, she went to get another bus driver and he told her they were not supposed to take the keys.

Getting off the bus is easy. Reverse (slowly) until you gently bump the scooter. Turn the front wheel all the way to the right. The gently go forward. You're going to think you're not going to make it. Don't worry you will. Go down the ramp and to the right and you're on your way. The Skyliner is pull it in and back it out, both on the same side. The Resort Monorail is pull it in one side and then back it off or pull ahead depending on the stop.

To clarify, my mother doesn’t have trouble walking. But she is 75, so she just can’t walk that much all day, every day. She really felt it last year on our trip and told me that she would like a scooter when we go again. She’ll be fine going through the ride lines and walking for short periods of time.
I use a scooter every year when I go to WDW, even though I am able to walk during my normal everyday life. I park the scooter somewhere in the stroller parking areas when I want to walk in shops or get in line for a ride. But when the line is long (like for Pandora) I ride the scooter in line. I just cannot stand on my feet for 30+ minutes in line. By using the scooter in line, I am not cutting in front of other people or using my "disability" to my advantage. I am just in line like everyone else, only seated comfortably while waiting.

Always feel free to ask your questions. I see you have several responses. I'll try and give my personal experience, too.

1. I know that only Scooterbug is allowed to deliver and pick up without you being there. How easy is it with the other area companies, particularly Gold Mobility and Buena Vista?

That's true, Scooterbug is allowed to deliver and pick up without you being there. I have never used them before, but I saw a lot of them lined up at Disney Pop Century Resort Bell Services last December and they all looked new. I haven't seen any Scooterbug bad comments.

I have used Buena Vista before when they used to just drop off at bell services. Gold Mobility has great reviews for drop-off and pick-up and scheduling time by phone. I presume all other vendors do the same. When FoldAndGoWheelchairs used rent they did the same. I guess should call the vendor to go by how you feel in addition to making online reservations just to make sure. If I were to rent, I would prefer Gold Mobility if I was going to use an unfamiliar device so my questions could be answered.

Unless things have changed, some bus stops are different. Pop has a short, chained off area with a handicap symbol on the pavement and there is a regular multiple lane queue for walkers. You can get in line with your sister to help her.

At the Magic Kingdom, they have a mainstream queue where you get in the same line like everyone else. When you immediately turn in the first row you will see a handicap indicated gate. Just push it open, roll through and stop at the marker on the pavement until the bus driver waves to you to the bus ramp.

Another place like the Contemporary Resort doesn't have a queue per se. Just go and park on the handicap emblem on the pavement of whichever bus destination. The white handicap emblem at second white pole

Yes. If you see a Disney cast member if in doubt. I would just park it somewhere out of the way where people may be walking outside the shop or you could ask a castmember. Sometimes, you may already see a row of parked mobility scooters. Don't forget to take your key with you if you have one. Although they may not all look alike like some strollers, you could wrap something around the steering tiller to mark it as yours. I used to use an airline luggage tag. You certainly don't have to do this. One time I rented a WDW mobility scooter and I saw someone putting their key in it. He didn't see the name WDW tag on the back of the seat, but he was reading my airline luggage tag. He apologized and said they all look alike, but when he was using his key and I guess wondered what the tag was. They do all look alike.

Attachments

• 1597055798804.png
    1597055798804.png
    751.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I will be another to recommend Gold Mobility. Have had a couple flawless rentals with them. They will set the time with you and meet you in the lobby with the scooter. They will show you the controls and how to use it. We always get the 3 wheeled pride go-go (the smaller size ECV). My Mom finds it easier to maneuver in the parks. We bring it in most lines, but she does have times she likes to walk, so she will do that too. If she wants to walk from 1 land to another, I will ride it to the next location and leave it parked until she is ready for it (I don't want to go to another area and her get too tired to walk back and then I have to go get it anyway). Just something to keep in mind.

For the buses, at least someone should wait with your mother in the handicap line. If you have a large party (more than 5-6), some should use the regular line. Last year, my Mom and I boarded at Boardwalk with her ECV. We were a party of 2, so no issue with me going with her. The other ECV that was loaded was a party of like 15-17, and they all got on with her (grandma with 3-4 kids plus spouses and a ton of grandkids). I was kind of shocked the driver let them all on. They took up the whole back end of the bus. After the rest of the bus loaded, a woman next to me was complaining about the scooters getting on and all the people. I mentioned that I got on with my Mom and she looked at me and said that she was fine with me getting on with her since we were a party of 2 and clearly not taking advantage. She was P/O'ed about the other group. I can't say I blame her. With the Covid right now, I believe only 1 ECV is allowed on and I am not sure how many are allowed to join the ECV.

With the Covid right now, I believe only 1 ECV is allowed on and I am not sure how many are allowed to join the ECV.
One mobility device unless two users are in one party, then two maximum. Up to five people can board with the mobility device user for a total of six.

With bus zones and the 25 person capacity, larger parties may well have to split up into different buses.

Thanks for the information about the Magic Kingdom queue especially, Ray. I admit that I've never quite figured out how to wait on an ECV correctly at the bus stops.
And as far as Gold Mobility dropping off and picking up, and not being able to just drop the ECV off-they've always met me when I got off DME (sometimes I had to sit on a bench by bell services for 5 minutes or so), Then they'd meet me shortly before I left to pick the ECV up.

Thanks for the information about the Magic Kingdom queue especially, Ray. I admit that I've never quite figured out how to wait on an ECV correctly at the bus stops.
And as far as Gold Mobility dropping off and picking up, and not being able to just drop the ECV off-they've always met me when I got off DME (sometimes I had to sit on a bench by bell services for 5 minutes or so), Then they'd meet me shortly before I left to pick the ECV up.

How do they know exactly when to meet you? I mean, you never really know how long Magical Express will take. Do you text them from the bus?

How do they know exactly when to meet you? I mean, you never really know how long Magical Express will take. Do you text them from the bus?

Currently, things may be different, but previously, a vendor could plan when to meet you simply by knowing what your incoming flight info to MCO was, and if you were taking Magical Express, a town car, or a personal rental. In other words, from the time you deplane at MCO to when you step off the Magical Express bus at your Disney Resort, it is typically (pre-pandemic) about an hour. The timing is obviously different if you have a town car (some people stop for groceries and other shopping) or a personal rental car.

But if you are taking Magical Express to/from MCO, it's actually pretty easy math for the vendor.

Our last two trips we rented from Buena Vista. Although this was before they started the rule that you have to be there to pick up. We had multiple scooters both times, as my mom has bad knees and my brother at the time had cancer. The scooters were always good quality and comfortable. Last trip we did have one stop charging properly, and it took some time and attention to get a new one out, but that happens sometimes. I would definitely recommend them.

The night before, they texted me and I told them the time I had. They met me about 15-20 minutes before the bus, and I just sat on the bench again until it showed up.

I used to rent from BV but have used Gold the past few trips and I'm much happier with them. The scooters are in better condition and the battery lasts all day without an issue - and it was cheaper. I haven't tried other companies.

I almost always park the scooter and walk into shops because I can and it is so much easier to shop. One trip in particular, one of my knees was awful and I stayed in the scooter about everywhere and it's fine for shopping. I suggest in that case to shop earlier in the day when the crowds are lower. Waiting until closer to park closing everyone goes in the shops! I will also park and walk into Buzz Lightyear (rather than have someone push a wheelchair) if I have a fast pass (pre-covid). Just park in a designated spot - usually where the strollers park or ask a CM.

Generally my family waits in the regular que rather than with me for boarding a bus unless there's just one of them with me. My kids (young adults now) usually stand anyway if the bus is crowded. I know it can be frustrating for people in line to see several people pre-board with a scooter and you may get some feedback from your fellow bus riders (I've seen parties of more than 5 board with the person in the scooter and it really angered others waiting in line). Considering your mom's age and what not, I think it's good to have at least one person wait with her and perhaps the rest of your party join the regular line. When they get on a bus and take off before me, I usually send my son ahead to Starbucks to get my coffee so when I get there we're ready to go...haha! In the evenings the wait to get back to the hotel after night time shows can be long (pre-Covid) so my family would sometimes take an Uber back and that way they were done with their showers and stuff by the time I got back so I didn't have to wait. Works well for us and might work for you if you're traveling with extended family. All I can say about the busses is that I like how they were doing it at the MK coming home at night where the scooters went into the regular que until they got towards the front - then they were pulled out to board.

I am no help, but I just wanted to say I'm in the same situation as you so this thread has been super helpful. After many trips together, it looks like we'll be renting a scooter for my 76 year-old mom next April. She gets winded so easily now and just doesn't have the stamina she used to :sad1: We have a trip booked for next April and I've already prepared her that we will be renting a scooter for her, whether she likes it or not. She doesn't like it, but I think she realizes she needs it.

So thanks for asking this question, and thanks to everyone sharing their expertise :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter