First time to HKDL - Please help :)

Ride the Wild Toad

Kitchen Sink Enthusiast
I'm going to Hong Kong next week and thought it'd be nice to visit an international Disney park :D

I will only have one day for the park so I was hoping those who have already been there might be able to help answer some questions so I can make the most of my time.

*Do I need to buy a ticket ahead of time?

*What's the best way to get to HKDL from downtown? About how long will it take?

*Which rides are a MUST?
If I get there at rope drop where should I head first to get a fast pass and/or get on line?

*Is there any food in the park that I definitely need to try? What and where?

*Do you have any other tips, suggestions, or information that I might find useful?

Thank you so much!

Hoping some others will chime in here but here are my two cents -
I don't think it is necessary to buy a ticket ahead of time.
HKDL is easily accessible by MTR from downtown- Tung Chung line changing at Sunny Bay for the Disneyland Resort Train. I think it would take at least 45 minutes but others may have better estimates.

Hmmm must do rides - it is really not difficult to see most everything at the park as it is small and there are fewer attractions, but summer might have larger queues - still I think nothing like what you find at US parks. Mystic Manor is unique to HKDL. Adventureland is especially well done - Jungle Cruise is somewhat unique and I like Tarzan's Treehouse. Small World has the characters which is a nice addition. Grizzly Gulch is a coaster I like to ride at night - not very extreme but fun and it has a bit that goes backwards. Toystoryland - is like the one in Paris - but not found in the US parks. The Lion King show is enjoyable - though a bit different than the Florida version. Also love Golden Mickey's which is ending soon so if it is there you will be able to catch the last. The parades are good as are the fire works - but the fireworks are shorter in length than WDW or DLP.

Food - I like the Corner Cafe for reuben/burgers and such over the counter service variety.

I am thinking to try the Indian at Tahitian Terrace and Explorer's Club (at Mystic Manor) next trip- both counter service - there are lots of places to get regional cuisine around the park. Honestly I love the buffets at the resort hotels so can't comment so much on the park food. One of the items that is totally unique at HKDL is the character dimsum - but I don't think it is available at the park but at the Crytsal Lotus at the HKDL hotel and must be reserved ahead of time/is available at certain times. But in general I do love the dimsum at HKDL which I think is available at the Plaza Restaurant (Main Street - Table Service).

One HKDL snack I do love is the caramel popcorn! They also have some lovely icecream bars and mango dole whip.

You can find links here on the dis to menus which will give you an idea of food offerings you might want to try.

Weather tip - it will be hot - last year when I went in August I took a UFP sunbrella - it was amazing and I am so glad I had it. So I highly recommend an umbrella with spf - golfing umbrella - whatever - works wonders!

Have a great trip!pixiedust:

Last edited:
I have a work trip to Hong Kong coming up in April and am contemplating adding on a day or 2 to go see Hong Kong Disney (figuring, while I am there, why not)

So appreciate the information already in this thread and if there are other thoughts, that would be great.

Specifically wondering if just going up for a day trip is sufficient or if I should think about spending a night there as well ... do the trains back run late?

I would say one day is sufficient if you get in early and spend full day there. Sometime we extend our stay overnight if we just want to take it easy and spend time to tour around the hotels area.

Train (MTR) is available at night time. We usually stay till fireworks is over and that's when majority of people leave the park. There are also buses available (on holiday/weekend) if you're familiar with the bus route.

Hope it helps.

ExpatDisneyLover pretty much said all I'd say. It took us 45 mins to get there from Yau Ma Tei area on a Sunday am in October and about the same each way on a foray in and back from central on a monday. Trains are very easy to use and catch but we did have an Octopus card as there for several days (so load money on and tap on and off). We did buy tix in advance to get a discount from CTS but you didn't need to for any other reason.

I would make a beeline for Grizzly Gulch for mine train and unique surrounds then head next door to Mystic Manor first. Adventureland sits in the jungly surrounds really well and yes Jungle Cruise has some different bits and is good. I think Tarzan's treehouse is our fave treehouse out of the 5 parks. We can take or leave Toy Story land but yes not yet in US only Paris and setting of toys is well done. Festival of lion King is different to AK but very good. Other show wasn't open when we were there. Paint the night parade is great. We thought the fireworks only so so. The daytime parade is good too. Space mountain is much smoother than some of its counterparts I hear and i think has FP. Only a few rides have FP. Winnie the pooh is popular and the same as Orlando MK but gets lines so consider FP. It is a small park but very full one day to get round it all including shows and parades. Fountain out the front is pretty, especially at night.

Didn’t eat a lot of the food but the bakery in main st has lots of good pastries including classic egg custard tarts. Minnie bars are delish as is caramel popcorn. Much of the food outlets lean towards Asian and there seemed to be quite a lot of Indian dishes too.

We went before Golden Week in Oct and the park was very quiet, walk on most rides and did not need to get FPs. Have fun!

I'll just add if you are a big Disney fan I would stay overnight and spread visit over 2 days to allow time to appreciate the detail Disney does so well and the hotel areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter