first time to wdw - GAC concern

Kathy

Earning My Ears
I will be going June 25 - July 3. I have severe health problems that are not visible unless I get past "my point of no return." I have had blood clots everywhere. As a result my heart and lungs are damaged. I have problems with breathing, standing, lightheadedness, intolerance to heat and humidity and other things. My heart rate and blood pressure are also messed up due to nerve damage in my chest during surgery. We really wanted to go because my son is 10 and hasn't been there yet. This is the only time of year that we can go. I know I will be limited in what I can do but have decided to live life to its fullest.
I am afraid that I won't be able to get a GAC. What would work for me is to tour a park in order and to use the shortest line available. Shaded spot and sitting if needed and hope to get three hours in before I give out. What accomidations would be available in place of waiting in line 60 min. or more for shows? Any advice is greatly appeciated. I have a short doctor's note requesting to avoid waiting in long lines with some reasons listed.

I know from experience that they cannot give you shorter wait times. Your best bet is to get a WC or ECV. Any stamina and motility issues suggest the need for these. Many of the attractions lines accomodate those now. Even a doctor's note cannot reduce wait times.

As for heat/humidity, that will be an issue no matter what. Definitely drink tons of water, and carry a hand-held mister/fan! Try to buy one before leaving for WDW, though. They do sell them there, but they cost a lot more! Also, get there early in the morning and leave for the afternoon. Come back in evening when it cools down a tad.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the only people who get reduced wait times is Make a Wish kids.

Hope this helps you out some!

I agree. Take your time, rent an ECV and realize that you will never see it all! You can park your cart under a tree or in a building when you need cooling. Make your priorities, and enjoy your family. It sounds as though you could use it!

I agree with all of what Taximom said and would add to bring a light colored umbrella for the sun. An WC or ECV is definitely the way to go for you, you would have a guaranteed seat at all times and believe me they do make the visit much more pleasurable, specially the ECV because you can be very independent with them. I would suggest you read the "sticky" above relating to the ECV and rent one from outside, the ones in the parks go quickly and are not always available. God bless and good luck with your trip. :cool1:

Please get and ECV and enjoy yourself. I had a sever back injury and my abillity to walk was limited i rented adn ecv for the first time this year and was so glad i did. Was not able to do everythig but it sure made what i did a lot easier. Just because your disabillity is not visable does not make it any less real. Enjoy yourslef use fast pass when you can and have a great time.
if you want to feel free to im or email and will give you what ever information i can for you.

I'm also going to chime in with the ECV rental... hope you can hear this!!

Ray Sharpton posted a very wonderful, awesome, emotional post about looking forward to seeing Disney and things he was going to do because this time he was going to rent an ECV... when he returned, he posted a trip about mobility issues and his wonderful time...

Those 2 posts came to my mind when you posted.. can you imagine how far it is to go from the parking lot at MK to Splash Mountain? Now the wait can be extreme, but if you're educated on Fast Pass, its not so bad, but, you may get a FP for Splash then go over to Frontierland to spend the hour either at the Country Bear Jamboree, around the corner to Tiki Birds,,, then go back to the mountain... its a LOT of walking, and then you'll be stressed with heat, and concerned over very real health issues, and your motivating factor...

Your love for your child!!

I hope you truly consider an ECV, then do a search, read the sticky at the top of the thread, read Ray's report, and do the ECV, its not a defeat, think of the joy for your child!! Its not taking advantage of an ECV, you'll also be able to read how you can park the ECV to get into a line, like Haunted Mansion... etc...

:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter