First Timer Question & Advice

mgou4

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone! I have booked a trip to Univesal Studios the first week of July for my family of 4. We are staying at the Hard Rock Hotel. Having never been there before and not knowing much about Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, I have a few questions that maybe soemone will be kind enough to answer for me. The quesitons are listed below. Thank you to all who help me out with my questions!

Are there any activities planned for the 4th of July there?

Is there a calendar of events posted somewhere on the web for rock concerts, etc.??

What type of kids programs does the HRH offer? My 2 boys are ages 12 &16

What is a must for us to do?

What restraunts do you recommend for us not to miss?

Any other web sites to visit other than main Univesal Studios & IOA?

If you were going for 8 days, what other activities would you be sure to do other than the 2 parks and citywalk?

Thank you!
Marion

:confused: :confused:

Glad to see another new face here on the boards!

I am sure others will respond to your questions and give their opinions too - here are mine:

We have been to the PBH and HRH for the 4th of July the last two years - the hotel doesn't have fireworks or anything "special" going on because all the activity is over at the parks for the 4th! They have a wonderful fireworks display at the parks that we could see from the hotel - just as spectacular as the mouse's (minus the castle backdrop). Last year they had a wonderful 4th of July BBQ dinner at Mama Della's at PBH (make ressies if you are thinking of going). We enjoy the food there - we are going 9 days this year, in July, and will probably eat there at least twice. HRH has a kids camp program there too - up to age 12 if I recall. They have volleyball, water (pool) basketball, life-size chess and checker games, video arcade and arts and crafts, etc. Go to their website and you can get the info from there. We also rent a cabana for a half day, every day we are by the pool, and DS's (12 and 17) bring their PS with them to hook up to play video games.

With regards to the 'live' concerts - they usually announce them about 4-6 weeks prior the concert - you can go to www.hardrock.com/live2/live.asp to check for updates - we do that a month or so before going down. Even if they do not have any well-known artists appearing, the local groups are good too! We enjoyed them.

Restaurants???? Mythos, Mama Della's, Latin Quarters, HRC, Margaritaville, --- DS's Picks: Confiscos, Burger Digs, HRC, NBA-- - Favorite Restaurant outside of parks - Ming's Court and Romano's Macaroni Grill and Smokey Bones.

Things to do?????? I just bought Kelley Monaghans Book "The Other Orlando" - what a GREAT BOOK! We go down every year - sometimes twice a year - and I still found lots of things in there I never thought of doing; like this summer we will be doing the Discovery Cove at SW and the Magic Show/Dinner. DisneyQuest is a must for ds's - we will spend a day there too (love that key lime cheesecake!)

This is just a dent in things to do. I am sure lots of other people will give their tips...........

Have fun Marion!:D

PDG

City Walk also has a special 4th celebration, complete with light up beads and live music. Last year...we paid $5 per person...and went in...we got preferred viewing area for the fireworks..it was wonderful. There were three sets of fireworks that went off all at the same time...one above each park and one above city walk..it was spectacular to say the least. The best fireworks we have ever seen, including at disney.

I would go to Sea World, Discovery Cove, we also like to spend time on International Drive, mini golf at pirates cove, pointe orlando, Catch some movies...and relax by the pool.

You never run out of things to do in Orlando!

Have fun.

mgou4;
With the age of your boys, I would think they are definitely into thrill rides. This being the case, make sure you go to IOA first. This will probably be the park they will like the best. As you go through the main entrance and the first area (called Port of Entry), bear to the left and head straight for the Hulk. After this, hit Spiderman and Dr. Doom's Fearfall. Then work your way around the park clockwise. Other awesome rides include Ripsaw Falls, Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges, Jurassic Park River Adventure, and Dueling Dragons. With your Front-of-the-Line access, you shouldn't have any problems doing these rides several times in one day.
In Universal Studios, they'll probably like Men In Black best, followed by Back To The Future and Terminator 2-3D. The rest of the attractions will just depend on their tastes.
If you want to see some different pictures than what are available on the Universal site, click on the link below to my webpage. The Feb. 2002 link has my best pics of Universal.
Hope you have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter