First-timer Renting Questions

eeyore29

DIS Veteran Wanna-Be
Thinking about renting DVC points for our next trip (August 2019) and looking for some help. We've been to WDW about 15 times (all levels of hotels) and so we're used to all the perks and the way things work. DH is convinced there's something negative we're not taking into consideration. He's also paranoid that there would be issues with buying/linking tickets ourselves, since we've always had packages thru WDW. I've done some research and found that we could get much lower prices if we go thru the boards person-to-person, but I'd prefer going thru an agency (like David's) to make things more official with as few complications as possible. I still have the following questions:

1. Is there anything we're used to getting/having that we'll miss? (besides daily maid service)

2. How hard is it to get the resort/room type you want in mid-August? Our top 4 choices are studios at BCV, Poly, VWL, or BWV. We'd also consider BLT & GFV, but none of the others (we want to be close to MK or EPCOT).

3. Anyone have any likes/dislikes or tips they'd like to share about any of these villa resorts and/or their studio rooms? We've stayed at most of these already (in regular hotel rooms), but I'm curious about villas/studios and their locations and amenities. [traveling party is DH, DD will be 9 at the time, and me]

4. If the agency can't find what I request, do they keep searching for a certain amount of time? Could they come back and say, "we couldn't find those dates, but we could find these other nearby dates?" Or try & offer us a different resort? And if they do, must we accept? Or - if they can't match my request exactly - is it up to me to resubmit my request/payment every few weeks to re-check?

5. I know we can add the dining plan thru the agency, but can we do that sometime after the original booking? (like 2-3 months before we arrive)

6. Flights won't be available 11 months out, so I assume we can provide flight details later, for Magical Express booking?

7. Is there anyone who looked into doing this & decided not to? Why? And is there anyone who has done this and regretted it?

8. Is there a different agency you'd recommend? (sorry if this isn't allowed)

The only major negative so far I found is that there are basically no refunds. Sorry this post ended up being so long; I just want to know all the ins and outs, so we're not surprised by something we don't like when it's too late to cancel. I look forward to everyone's input. Thank you!

Thinking about renting DVC points for our next trip (August 2019) and looking for some help. We've been to WDW about 15 times (all levels of hotels) and so we're used to all the perks and the way things work. DH is convinced there's something negative we're not taking into consideration. He's also paranoid that there would be issues with buying/linking tickets ourselves, since we've always had packages thru WDW. I've done some research and found that we could get much lower prices if we go thru the boards person-to-person, but I'd prefer going thru an agency (like David's) to make things more official with as few complications as possible. I still have the following questions:

1. Is there anything we're used to getting/having that we'll miss? (besides daily maid service)
Most studios have one queen bed and a sofabed. Some also have a Murphy bed that is the size of a small bunk. So, not every bed is a "real" bed. Otherwise, you will get all of the perks of being a Disney Resort guest like EMH, Magic Bands, etc.

2. How hard is it to get the resort/room type you want in mid-August? Our top 4 choices are studios at BCV, Poly, VWL, or BWV. We'd also consider BLT & GFV, but none of the others (we want to be close to MK or EPCOT).
August is a relatively slow time for DVC, so you should be able to get a studio at any of those resorts if you plan ahead. If Disney continues to hold F&W in the latter half of August, there may be more demand for the Epcot resort studios at that time. Note that there are actually 2 DVC resorts at VWL - BRV and CCV. CCV is DVC's newest resort and may not have too many owners willing to rent out their points by 2019. If you choose to stay there, you may have to wait for the 7-month booking window for DVC members who do not own there to be able to book it.

3. Anyone have any likes/dislikes or tips they'd like to share about any of these villa resorts and/or their studio rooms? We've stayed at most of these already (in regular hotel rooms), but I'm curious about villas/studios and their locations and amenities. [traveling party is DH, DD will be 9 at the time, and me]
All of them have their pros and cons. BWV has a great location but some people don't care for the scary clown pool and parking can be difficult. Poly only has studios and most of them connect to another studio, which can be rough if you have noisy neighbors. The DVC longhouses are also the furthest from the feature pool and the laundry facilities can be a bit difficult to access, depending on where your studio is located. BCV has be best feature pool but the worst views of all of the DVC resorts (IMO). BRV studios can be a bit small and do not have the Murphy bed. CCV is so new that no one has stayed in them yet.

4. If the agency can't find what I request, do they keep searching for a certain amount of time? Could they come back and say, "we couldn't find those dates, but we could find these other nearby dates?" Or try & offer us a different resort? And if they do, must we accept? Or - if they can't match my request exactly - is it up to me to resubmit my request/payment every few weeks to re-check?
That depends. They will check for availability at the resort(s) you've indicated. If there's availability, they will wait to see if they get an owner who wants to rent their points out. If there's no availability for your dates, they may offer you a different resort that does have availability but they don't have to check further. It's best to confirm with the rental agency that you are dealing with to find out what their policy is.

5. I know we can add the dining plan thru the agency, but can we do that sometime after the original booking? (like 2-3 months before we arrive)
Yes you can, but it must be within the agency's time frame and it must be paid in full at the time that it is added.

6. Flights won't be available 11 months out, so I assume we can provide flight details later, for Magical Express booking?
DME can be added at a later date. Just contact the agency and they will provide the owner with the necessary info to make the reservation.

7. Is there anyone who looked into doing this & decided not to? Why? And is there anyone who has done this and regretted it?
Haven't rented from an agency but there are plenty of people who have looked into renting who, for one reason or another, have chosen to go another route. There's a thread posted recently by one renter who is unhappy about the "nonrefundable" policy that all agencies have. You could stand to lose a large amount of money if you change your mind after committing to renting.

8. Is there a different agency you'd recommend? (sorry if this isn't allowed)
They're all kind of the same but some are larger than others, so they attract more owners. That increases your odds of getting your first choice. Can't recommend one over another but this board is sponsored by a rental agency, so I'm not even going to allude to the names of other agencies. Google is your friend.

The only major negative so far I found is that there are basically no refunds. Sorry this post ended up being so long; I just want to know all the ins and outs, so we're not surprised by something we don't like when it's too late to cancel. I look forward to everyone's input. Thank you!
Yes, not being able to get your money back if you have to cancel is a huge drawback. If you were to rent directly from an owner, you may find that they will be more flexible about trying to re-book your stay if you have to cancel or maybe even refund the money if they can get another renter for the reservation. Many owners will also permit you to pay in installments, instead of all at once like the agencies, with the understanding that if you do not pay in full by a certain date, you may lose your reservation.

You are renting from an owner either directly or through a broker, an owner who owns the resort that you are interested in can make the reservation 11 months prior to check in and getting what you want shouldn't be an issue. If they don't own that resort, they book at 7 months prior and there is less availability.

When booking with an owner direct or through a broker, take the time to review the agreement and understand the policies and limitations.

:earsboy: Bill

Thank you both for your replies - very helpful information! One other question: do I wait until we're 11 months out to even start the process? Or can I submit a request sooner than that?

Thank you both for your replies - very helpful information! One other question: do I wait until we're 11 months out to even start the process? Or can I submit a request sooner than that?
Most agencies will not take your request prior to the 11-month booking window. A resort cannot be booked prior to 11 months and availability cannot be checked before then. If renting directly from an owner, they may entertain your request prior to 11 months but as an owner, I know that I would not commit my points to a "maybe" reservation if I can rent them out to someone else for a confirmed one.

BRV studios can be a bit small and do not have the Murphy bed.

Marionnette meant BLT here. BRV studios have a murphy bed. BLT studios are notoriously tiny if you have to have both beds out.

One other question: do I wait until we're 11 months out to even start the process? Or can I submit a request sooner than that?

Most brokers won't accept requests any more than 12 months out. Owners can sometimes commit earlier via private transaction, but things can change even for an owner.

Brokers don't take requests then lovingly look for an owner to match each request. They check if the requested resort/booking type is available, then email their listed owners to see if any will take on the booking. It's not even first in-first out, as number of points an owner holds and is willing to book with, home resort, and use year all play a part in what any given owner will take on.

Two things I would mention:
  • Even for August, I wouldn't assume availability for BWV Standard View, BLT Standard, AKV Value or Club.
  • If you are close to Epcot, you will be on a shared bus to MK and it's a bit of a nuisance. If you're close to MK, you will either be on a shared bus to Epcot, or subject to unreliable monorail schedule with possible platform change at the TTC (from BLT and VGF).
  • I would strongly consider AKV on your list, because the bus ride to Epcot is about equal to that from an MK area resort, and it's unique at Disney, and really in the United States, in a way no other resort is, and the pools are great and actually shady.

Although you can add ME and the Dining Plan later, do it as soon as you know what your flight schedule/dining plan decision is. The owner needs to add it for you. Which means the broker needs to contact the owner and the owner needs to make the phone call. If the owner is off on a three week tour of Europe, or dealing with a parent with a recent stroke (two of my DVC owning friends are currently doing each of these) - it may be some time before the email from the broker is responded to - and may take a couple of attempts. Just remember there is a real person on the other end of the transaction - not a corporation who is staffed for quick response. If you wait until the last minute, it may not work out. Which isn't the end of the world - a taxi works fine and you can pay cash to eat - but may add some cost.

Other things to understand - DVC is a timeshare, which means owners pay for all maintenance and operations through dues. That means rooms may be refreshed less often than hotel rooms. It also means that things like switching rooms because you don't like the view is kind of a no no - and you should be charged if you switch rooms for anything other than maintenance issues.

Brokers don't take requests then lovingly look for an owner to match each request. They check if the requested resort/booking type is available, then email their listed owners to see if any will take on the booking. It's not even first in-first out, as number of points an owner holds and is willing to book with, home resort, and use year all play a part in what any given owner will take on.

Or even "do I want to make a reservation today....no, I have six meetings and this report to get out, plus a big presentation on Friday to a bunch of VPs, then I have to get the kids to soccer and dance, and I'm out of milk and bread and my bathroom hasn't been cleaned in two weeks. I'm passing on every email from the broker today, I'll see what pops up once I have a little breathing space."

Although you can add ME and the Dining Plan later, do it as soon as you know what your flight schedule/dining plan decision is. The owner needs to add it for you. Which means the broker needs to contact the owner and the owner needs to make the phone call. If the owner is off on a three week tour of Europe, or dealing with a parent with a recent stroke (two of my DVC owning friends are currently doing each of these) - it may be some time before the email from the broker is responded to - and may take a couple of attempts. Just remember there is a real person on the other end of the transaction - not a corporation who is staffed for quick response. If you wait until the last minute, it may not work out. Which isn't the end of the world - a taxi works fine and you can pay cash to eat - but may add some cost.

Other things to understand - DVC is a timeshare, which means owners pay for all maintenance and operations through dues. That means rooms may be refreshed less often than hotel rooms. It also means that things like switching rooms because you don't like the view is kind of a no no - and you should be charged if you switch rooms for anything other than maintenance issues.
Plus if you decide you want clean towels before your "every four day" service, you'll have to pay for them. If you run out of Disney shampoo, conditioner, etc, you'll have to pay for extras there, too. If you decide you want more than one 4-6 cup pot of coffee, you'll need to bring coffee as well (and 10-12 cup flat bottom basket style Mr Coffee-ish coffee filters).

My family goes to Disney at least twice a year. We've always been fans of the Disney World package, especially the free dining in September and December. This January I looked up information on purchasing into the DVC since a friend of mine is already a member. Doing the math and budget, I decided to rent points and see how our family liked the DVC resorts. We rented a week from an agency for June, and it was a great experience. We stayed at Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, and I can't think of anything we missed from our experience that we normally enjoyed in a package. Tickets were cheaper cause we were able to buy the four park four day special and linked right up to our account once I purchased them, and we added the dining plan with no problem two months before we left. I was nervous that something was going to happen since there is not a lot of flexibility, but nothing did and renting points was easy and made it possible to stay at AK for close to the same price as when we stayed at a moderate. We've already rented points through an owner for Beach Club and the poly for December.
I think the only thing different for me is you give up some control on specific room request and views but for the price difference, it's a good enough trade off for me.

Thank you all for your helpful info. Now we just need to wait a year to figure out what we're booking! Have a great day, everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter