First trip questions-during French holiday

taythecray

TinkerTaylor
Bonjour! My husband and I are very excited for our first international trip in April. Heading to Paris for 9 days and couldn't pass up a day trip to DLP. I've done so much searching/reading about Paris in general this past week but I have a few specific questions regarding our day.
To start, we are a young active couple and have done full 12+ hour days at other Disney parks so we plan on doing both parks in one full open-close day here as well. Not staying on site, will be taking the train/metro to and from.
1) I noticed our trip falls within the Zone A French holiday. How bad does that impact the parks? We've gone to WDW during fairly busy times, but how do the crowds compare? Is it like "spring break/holiday" crowds where everything is 60+min wait?
2) How early are park hours released? I've noticed during April in past years the parks are open until 22:00. Is that something we can probably count on again?
3) With such a long day, would you recommend taking the time for a sit-down restaurant or stick to counter service?
4) With our visit being during the French holiday, do weekdays vs weekends really matter? Trying to decide the best day to go.

Any other first time tips? I noticed Phantom Manor and Crush are both closed which is sad, but at least we have the rest of the parks. Merci :)

To start, we are a young active couple and have done full 12+ hour days at other Disney parks so we plan on doing both parks in one full open-close day here as well. Not staying on site, will be taking the train/metro to and from.
Not staying onsite puts you at a starting disadvantage as you wont have access to EMH. The general opening time is 10am, and the EMH starts at 8.30am. General opening crowds start to gather from 9.am at both the main park and studios. It takes approx 40 minutes train travel time from central Paris to Disney. So if I was you I would aim to arrive at Disney train station at 8.30am. Then you can take your time getting from the train platform, up the escalator, through security check and then join the general opening line.

1) I noticed our trip falls within the Zone A French holiday. How bad does that impact the parks? We've gone to WDW during fairly busy times, but how do the crowds compare? Is it like "spring break/holiday" crowds where everything is 60+min wait?
It depends, yes it is like spring break but at the same time it also depends on what other countries have a holiday or school vacation time. I was in Disney during a Zone A French holiday in February 2016 and the park was not crowded BUT this is because the French go skiing in the February holiday.

2) How early are park hours released? I've noticed during April in past years the parks are open until 22:00. Is that something we can probably count on again?
Park hours are released 90 days in advance. Currently on http://www.disneylandparis.ie/calendars/park-hours/# the park hours are listed up to 25 February 2018. So just keep checking week by week until 90 days before the day you will be there.

3) With such a long day, would you recommend taking the time for a sit-down restaurant or stick to counter service?
I do long days in Disneyland California, approx 14 hours. I know by 2pm Im starting to get hangry so I usually take a time out with a TS for about 2 hours. It really does make a difference, a recharge and then Im good to go again until 11pm.

4) With our visit being during the French holiday, do weekdays vs weekends really matter? Trying to decide the best day to go.
Holiday times or not, weekends are always busier. I would try to go either on a Monday or Tuesday.

Any other first time tips? I noticed Phantom Manor and Crush are both closed which is sad, but at least we have the rest of the parks. Merci :)
I did this plan for another poster on another website, also from USA and staying in Paris and only doing one day at Disney

After security check go straight to The Studios Park. As you say Crush Coaster will be closed when you are there, go straight to the single rider line in Ratatouille. I know you will be with your husband, but trust me the single rider line is far shorter then either the regular standby or the Fastpass Line. Take a look in the shop in the Ratatouille area and then pick one other Studios ride / attraction. Avoid Studio Tram Tour and Armageddon.

On your way out of The Studios take a look at the shops. This should take you to 1pm

Go straight to the Main park and walk down Main Street. You wont have time to dawdle or browse the shops. Go direct to Discoveryland and either Fastpass Star Tours or Buzz Lightyear. While you wait for your Fastpass window you will have time to do ONE of the following, Space Mountain or Buzz or Star Tours, depending on which fastpass you decided on.

After Discoveryland would be a good time to have your TS meal.

After you TS meal go to Fantasyland. Head towards the Wishing Well, Pizza Belle Notre, stage side of the Castle. Find the pathway under The Castle to the dragon. Exit the dragon and come up into Fantasyland. Depending on time, check out the upper walk through area of The Castle.

Pick 2 rides in Fantasyland, leaving Peter Pan as your second ride. Exit Peter Pan and walk smartly to Pirates of The Caribbean.

In Adventureland you have Big Thunder Mountain and Indiana Jones. You say Phantom Manor will be closed so dont waste time going over to that side of the park.

Check what time the afternoon parade is and any scheduled character meets. After Adventureland you can then go back to areas or rides you want to repeat.

You will need to check the restaurant opening times and plan to have a quick service meal around 7pm

The night time fireworks/ animation show projected onto The Castle starts at the official park closing time. If the park closes at 10pm, people usually start gathering in front of the Castle / Main Street from 9pm. Fantasyland closes 2 hours before the main park closing time and does not reopen.

After the show the entire park crowd leaves at the same time. The show is usually 20 minutes, so it will be aprrox 10.30pm before you start moving towards the exit. It could take you at least 20 minutes, depending on how deep in the park you are to get to the train station. That means you will not be getting on a train before 11pm. You will need to check the train times. Those late trains from Disney back to central Paris can get very crowded. With an hour approx travel time back to central Paris, you probably wont get back to your hotel before midnight.

Leave hotel in central Paris approx 7.30am and arrive back at hotel in central Paris approx midnight

Wow thank you so much! Great information, especially with the touring plan! I've been a little lost without my standard planning tools :)
A little worried about the crowds but hopefully between single rider and Fastpass we can manage.
Depending on what prices look like as it gets closer we might consider one night onsite but as of right now it's not in the cards. In that scenario would we be able to utilize EMH on either day? (Ex if we make the reservation for the night of 15-16, could we train in the morning and enter the park early on the 15th before technically being allowed to check in to the room?)

Wow thank you so much! Great information, especially with the touring plan! I've been a little lost without my standard planning tools :)
You are welcome, I know alot of USA visitors struggle with a touring plan as there are no online tools.

A little worried about the crowds but hopefully between single rider and Fastpass we can manage.
Honestly I wouldnt worry about crowds as you are used to WDW. I was there on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and yes it was crowded but as I am used to Disneyland California in June, it was very manageable to me.

Depending on what prices look like as it gets closer we might consider one night onsite but as of right now it's not in the cards. In that scenario would we be able to utilize EMH on either day? (Ex if we make the reservation for the night of 15-16, could we train in the morning and enter the park early on the 15th before technically being allowed to check in to the room?)
Correct, a one night onsite hotel and park tickets package would give you a 2 day park hopper ticket. If you check in at the hotel before general opening time you will get access to EMH. When you checkin early before official checkin time, you will get your park ticket and hotel easy pass and you can leave your luggage in the hotel luggage room. You then just need to come back to the hotel any time after official check in time and you will get your room key.

I did this in February 2016. I arrived at the hotel at 12pm, checked in, went to the park, then came back at 5pm, got my room key and collected my luggage.

The same on check out day, leave your luggage at the hotel luggage room and collect it when you want to get the train back to central Paris.

If you plan right you could do a full day, EMH to park closing on both days, getting the train from central Paris early in the morning on day 15th then getting the late train back to central Paris on 16th.

In Adventureland you have Big Thunder Mountain and Indiana Jones. You say Phantom Manor will be closed so dont waste time going over to that side of the park. Indiana Jones is in adventure Land but Big Thunder is in Fronterland. Unless Disneyland Paris has changed since 2001.

Generally speaking all the advices given here are totally accurate !!

The crowd level will seem much much lower to a US citizen compared to what you can meet in Florida or California. Don't imagine it is NEVER crowded but if you walk fast, do not plan to ride & see everything, 2 days should be enough to get a good overview of the 2 parks despite the holidays.

However, note that not all French people go skiing and that DLP beeing the first touristic destination in Europe, there might be still a bit of crowd (not 100% sure but I think some other European countries are off school too)

Just a small info regarding EMH, which is quite new (october 2017) instead of 2 hours in DLP it's now 1 hour in each park (now from 8.30 to 9.30 am) and will be called EMM (Extra Magical Moments).

French community is divided about this decision and we still don't have enough guests experience returns so I still don't know if it will be still applicable during your stay.

Great thank you all! We've been looking at the rides and making a list of "must-dos" and "okay to miss" since we know we won't hit everything. Now it's just deciding on where to eat and waiting for the hours to be released :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!