First trip to DLP

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
We will have 2 full days and a half day in DLP in May! We are a family for 4, DD 4 and DD 10 months.

What hotel do you recommend. I was thinking Newport Bay, but Sequoia is also on the radar. Is one way better than the other? About the same? Club room is an option, what is a Hotel FP? We save about $123 if we go with Newport and stay club level over Sequoia club level.

We are thinking arrive mid-day on a Sunday, depending how we are feeling maybe hit the park for a bit, dinner, then we have all day Monday and Tuesday and then we leave ealryish on Wednesday for the airport for the next part of our trip.

What are some must do restaurants with the kids? DD 4 loved meeting characters in WDW in March. What are some good character meals? Am I reading it correctly reservations are only by calling 2 months in advance? No online reservations is this correct? Is there a way to call without calling internationally?

On Sunday we would like to do maybe a bit of a nicer dinner, but still kid friendly, its our anniversary, but this isn’t a requirement but it is a would be nice.

Buying the FP worth it? Is mid-May that busy? Do you think we would need this at all?

Refurbishments, i see that Phantom Manor is scheduled to be closed still in May, only i can find is early 2019, has anyone seen an exact date yet? Also i cant seem to find much information on the railroads refurbishment, do we have any idea when this will be up and running again?

What else can you tell me? What do I need to know? I went to DLP once about 18 years ago so I am pretty out of the loop right now!

Any additional information you have i would love :) thank you!

There isn't a big difference between the two hotels, it's more of a preference. Club Level will keep you in the main building, otherwise I would say NPB as it's very spread.

A Hotel FP is a FP you can use at your discretion, at any ride, with a limitation to use it between 1 and 4 (I believe). One per person, per day.

Online restaurants reservations are only on the Dutch country website, otherwise just calling. Two months in advance. Look through the topics, there is a topic about calling WDW and getting transferred to DLP.
I'm not a fan of character dining, but Inventions gets good reviews. The character meals are just crazily expensive and the food is not special. It depends a bit which characters you want to see. Cafe Mickey in the village is the Fab Five, The Auberge has the princesses (4 or 5, plus mice), Inventions can be very diverse.

France is known for their kitchen and good food, only it's not to be found in DLP. If you want good food, save it for the rest of your trip. I would say, look through the list of restaurants and look which menu or atmosphere you would enjoy.

I say with 2 (and a half) day, during the week, it's not worth buying FP. You get one with Club Level, use that for Big Thunder Mountain or Ratatouille. Or because you have small kids Peter Pan, but you can also do the last two rides during EMH.

No exact date known for Phantom Manor. For other refurbishments, just keep an eye on the website. They do a reasonable good job nowadays with listing what is closed.

The last few months, there have been a lot of these kind of threads. Just browse through the threads and you will find plenty of tips.

Last time we were there we were eating at Auberge de Cendrillon and Suzy and Perla (the mice) were working their way through the restaurant. However, we were sitting at a window and could see another Suzy and Perla in full view outside, at the same time! Huge error on the character organization department there.

Last edited:
Last time we were there we were eating at Auberge de Cendrillon and Suzy and Perla (the mice) were working their way through the restaurant. However, we were sitting at a window and could see another Suzy and Perla im full view outside, at the same time! Huge error on the character organization department there.
booo that’s way sucky ruins the magic

Last time we were there we were eating at Auberge de Cendrillon and Suzy and Perla (the mice) were working their way through the restaurant. However, we were sitting at a window and could see another Suzy and Perla in full view outside, at the same time! Huge error on the character organization department there.
Oh wow, that's something! Where were you seated? If I remember correctly, all the windows of the restaurant look out on the little courtyard? That's where you saw the double mice?

I have never seen that happen! What an incredible error! I thought you meant they were passing to a meet&greet or something. But in the courtyard? Suzy and Perla are regular characters at the Auberge

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!