First trip to DW, which resort?

CrazyDuck

DIS Veteran
Planning our first trip to Disneyworld as DVC members and first time there since 1999. Trying to decide on which resort we should try and book. We will be there for 2 weeks starting around December 14. Willing to move arrival departure dates a couple days in either direction to accommodate. Want to stay in a 1br that is in the middle of everything. Don't want to be on outskirts like when I stayed in AllStars 15 years ago. I know nothing about DW!!! Help! OKW? SSR? BCV?

Based on you saying you want to be in the middle of it all I would say either a monorail resort GFV or Contemporary(which can be hard to get)... or book BWV or BCV to be close to Epcot.

OKW and SSR felt a little bit more like the outskirts to me... unless you are really into hanging out at DTD... then those 2 resorts are close to that.

AKL felt more like the outskirts, also though I really liked the feel/theme of it there... I would for sure want a rental car if staying at that resort.

When you say December 14 are you talking this December? or next? Because if its this December your booking window has opened and you need to jump on it! :-) or you may be at SSR or OKW like it or not.

Our favorite resort at Christmas time is the VWL. If you like the Grand Californian then you will like the VWL.

No resort is in the middle. Disney World is huge and the parks and resorts is spread out! Since you are new members and are doing a long stay. I would suggest you try 2 or maybe 3 diffrent resorts! That way you can focus on the nearby attractions to the resort. We love doing split stays!

Agree with both PPs. While my favorite resort is my home (VWL), I wouldn't say it's right in the middle of the action. But, during the holidays, there is no more beautifully themed and decorated resort. As mentioned, though, getting in anywhere other than SSR or perhaps OKW within the 7-month booking window could be difficult. We've done split stays, too, and if you're willing, that is a good way to be closer to the action of various resorts since there is no one "central" resort. Below are my thoughts for each resort.

BCV/BWV: Can walk to Epcot and DHS (the latter is a longer haul, though), and the location of BWV puts you right on the Boardwalk where there is a lot of action in the evenings. BCV guests can get to the Boardwalk with a short walk.

BLT: Easy walk to MK, and it sits on the monorail which means access to Epcot (though you have to switch monorail lines at the Transportation Ctr).

GFV: Also sits on the monorail which gets you to MK, but also requires switch at Trans. Ctr.

SSR: Not terribly close to any park, but is a moderate to long-ish walk to DTD.

OKW: Again, not "in the action" vis-a-vis any parks, but the suites are spacious given it was the first DVC resort.

AKV: While close to AK, you must still bus or drive over. Considered one of the most, if not the most, remote resort by many.

VWL: A small resort, and traditionally the hardest to reserve at 7 months out from the holidays, it does have a boat to MK and the CR; otherwise, it's bus or drive.

All the resorts have their strong suits and weaker points, but each is lovely in its own right. Again, even right at the start of the 7-month reservation window, a few of these resorts could be difficult to book, particularly VWL and GFV. Good luck!

Welcome Home! If you haven't been to WDW since 1999, you are in for a treat!

Given that you are going to be there during the holidays, I would suggest 1 week at the Boardwalk and 1 week at BLT or VWL. When you are at the Boardwalk, you will be able to walk to Epcot for the various holiday activity and walk or take a boat to HS for the Osborne Lights. Over at BLT or VWL, you will be able to easily access MK. I am a huge fan of AKV, but I would save that for a Spring/Summer/Fall trip, so you can definitely take advantage of the pool areas and sitting on your balcony.

As mentioned, you will want to book something quickly, since the 7 month window has already opened for the first week of your stay. You can only book resorts other than your home resort at 7 months prior to arrival, plus 7 days. So, you will need to wait another week to book the second half of your trip. Those currently available 1-BR villas are not going to last long.

Have a great time!!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the help... I'm familiar with the booking windows, we've been dvc owners for 5 years now, just not familiar with DW resorts... Not really a fan of split stays. Don't like having to pack up all our things in the middle of our vacation. Not a real fan or crowds either, and we are still playing with our dates so that being said what do you think would be the best 2 weeks to travel to DW around the holidays? Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve are on Wednesdays this year, and we are planning in doing a 2 week stay checking in on a Sunday and checking out on a Sunday. Do you think we'll see lower crowds the week before Christmas and the week of Christmas, or, the week of New Year's Day and the week after New Year's Day?

Thanks for the help... I'm familiar with the booking windows, we've been dvc owners for 5 years now, just not familiar with DW resorts... Not really a fan of split stays. Don't like having to pack up all our things in the middle of our vacation. Not a real fan or crowds either, and we are still playing with our dates so that being said what do you think would be the best 2 weeks to travel to DW around the holidays? Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve are on Wednesdays this year, and we are planning in doing a 2 week stay checking in on a Sunday and checking out on a Sunday. Do you think we'll see lower crowds the week before Christmas and the week of Christmas, or, the week of New Year's Day and the week after New Year's Day?

Crowds are lowest in early December and builds after the first 2 weeks. I would move your vacation to early December and pick a resort closest to the park that you will be spending the most time in. MK will be nuts at Christmas and often restricts entrance due to too many people in the park. Not a fun time unless you love crowds and 60 min plus ride queues.

:earsboy: Bill

Can't move to the beginning of December, as we have to work around the kids school schedules. Do you think crowds fall off pretty quickly after New Years?

Can't move to the beginning of December, as we have to work around the kids school schedules. Do you think crowds fall off pretty quickly after New Years?

Use Google to search for WDW crowd calendars.

:earsboy: Bill

Our first trip to WDW was December of 2011, used easy WDW's Crowd Calendar and were sure to be there at rope drop every day. So we got all our rides in early, and then in the afternoon when things got busy we went back to the VWL and enjoyed our resort. Then in the evening we headed back to the parks to enjoy just as alot of the mid day people were leaving.

We arrived the Friday before Christmas Week and stayed till right before New Years Eve. Christmas Day was crazy busy... even Animal Kingdom had to close due to capacity by about 11 am Christmas Morning.

After New Years Eve it does mellow somewhat depending on when the kids school breaks are up.

WDW was very busy, but with planning it was do-able and since, like you, we are currently beholden to our kids vacation breaks, it was how we had to go.

Thanks all for you help! Will probably try for the week of New Years and the following week. I also think I'm going to try and get into Boardwalk since the nightlife is good there, if not then SSR with it's proximity to DTD. We'll be 5 hours behind everyone else in Florida, so the kids probably wont be falling asleep til 2am the first few nights anyways!

Another question, being that we arrive a few days before New Year I'm sure getting BWV will probably be difficult, even at 7 months, which is quickly approaching. Any tips on improving chances of getting what we want? Is walking a reservation frowned upon? I know at my home resort 1br's are usually the last to go. Is that the same at DW?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter