First trip to Hawaii this June!

Diasmom

Mouseketeer
Hi, we will be going to Hawaii for the first time at the beginning of June and so excited! I’m following along on a number of threads but hoping for some additional help/advice. We are renting points and have a standard villa with a pool garden view. What would you recommend to request for our room? I have a daughter who will be just turning 15 and she loves music! Are the ukele classes multiaged? Also hoping someone knows the price of an ukele. Does Aulani still have Alex and Ani Aulani bracelets? So many more questions but thanks for your help!

Yes on the Alex & Ani bracelets and the ukulele classes are for the entire family, so any age. They also have a class just for teens I think.

@Diasmom I’m of no use answering your questions since we haven’t been yet, but I just wanted to share in your excitement!!! We’re also planning our first trip for this summer and getting down to the nitty gritty planning is making it feel very real! Hope y’all have a wonderful trip!

The Ukulele lessons are open to anyone, you will just need to sign up. I have no idea on the cost but there are many places on the island that sell them if you decide the Disney price is too high. As far as room request, you have booked a room that will be facing toward the pool, probably on the lower floors. If you want a chance to see the ocean, you can request a high floor. It is absolutely amazing there! We went for the first time a couple of years ago and are planning another trip for this May/June. Best use of DVC points.

The price for a ukulele is going to vary widely, like any other instrument. You can find cheap souvenir ones (most likely imported from somewhere), all the way to real handmade professional quality ones. You can check the ABC store across the street, and of course there’s the swap meet. Other than that, I’d say just google “ukuleles For sale on Oahu” and see what you find in your price range.

You can get a toy ukulele for as little as $10, or you could spend $10k+. My husband plays ukulele and can make music with our kid's $10-$20 toy versions. But if you're daughter is serious about music, you're probably looking at spending $100-$200 for a good quality beginners ukulele.

I've always bought my "real" instruments from Good Guys near Waikiki. They have the best prices and are a very honest, established local company.

There is a really big Flea Market held on Wednesdays at Pro Player Stadium "Aloha Stadium" right by Pearl Harbor. We ended up Lyfting to Pearl Harbor, doing that and then walking over. This is where you will want to get all your gifts for everyone because the prices are amazing. We saw plenty of high quality Ukuleles. there as well

Also there is a market right across the street you will want to get all your food and beverages at and a really good restaurant called Monkeypod you will sure want to get to, My wife and I just got back last week

The aloha stadium swap meet is a great place to get gifts and souvenirs. It is on Wed and Sun. They have a huge variety of Hawaiian themed sun dresses/mumus/mens shirts, etc to wear to your luau for a reasonable price. We got all of our gifts that we took home from there also.

I just returned from my third trip to Aulani.
Rooms: Since you did not inform us on which view or size you you had reserved and I have had all three views 1 1br 2 2br and 1 Deluxe suite I feel I can answer you question some what. First there is no such thing a true full ocean view. all of my rooms have had a partial ocean view including the one that was booked as an ocean view. This happens due to the way the buildings are constructed the only way to get a true ocean view is to rent on of the 3br grand villas as they are located at the ends of the tower buildings and face the ocean directly.

Which Rooms I have had 6th floor twice 1 Br with Ocean view and 2 BR pool view which because it was far enough down the the hallway I still had a partial ocean view both of these rooms were not bad as decent views but I will tell you the pool area generates a lot of noise between Auntie coming out at 8 am every morning and blowing a conch shell horn and then shouting Yee Haw to get the morning started both of these are amplified, the pool area in general which will be open till 10 pm when you are there, then there is the nightly live entertainment at the Oleo lounge area its loud.

This past trip I stayed in a 2br ROOM 775 island garden view we could sit on our balcony each night and watch some form of entertainment family movie night or the Ka'waa Luau. We had our own personal luau every night the luau was on. In my never to be humble opinion the Luau at Aulani while it has a good show the price (most expensive luau on Oahu) food is lack luster, and unless you book even more cost the VIP experience you really get the feeling that your a second class citizen. They tend to make sure of it. In fact with regular admission to Luau your only beverage choices are tea and water anything else you pay for. The VIP get full beverage service plus alcohol. Really even Paradise cove next door does a better Luau for less money. Yes I have done both.

On this trip I additionally had 2 deluxe suites which were 473 and 479 Island Garden view the view from those rooms were a palm tree even though they looked into the entertainment lawn area you could not see any part of luau or movies.

Moral of the story ask for your room to be 7th floor or higher to clear any trees or vegetation or the water slide mountain (in the pool area), but don't be overly disappointed if they don't honor your request they have a habit of not. Last two trips I have asked for all of my room to be located on the same floor, not next to each other but on the same floor as we were family traveling together neither time was that honored. closest that I have come was this past trip where the 2 deluxe suites were on the 4th floor. My next trip I am going for Island Garden view again but I want rooms on the top floor. We really enjoyed the island garden view.

Food options: Pizza at the ULO cafe was really good runs $20 plus $2,50 for extra toppings. The character dinner buffet @ $57 dollars a person was so good that we went back a second night with out the kids. It had prime rib, snow crab clusters, peeled shrimp, Jonah crab claws, and the best mashed potato. Deserts were hit and miss but I enjoyed the pineapple cobbler. Doesn't sound all that good when you say it but it was so good. Across the road at the shopping area there were some good restaurants, but I would avoid the Monkey Pod it was not one of our favorites too hip for our taste.

Right up the road from the resort at exit 1 in the shopping area Costco and Target can be found there, we had some really good meals Ramen Ya and Ramen Bone, L&L Hawaiian BBQ, Kalapawai Cafe and Deli (better at lunch than dinner menu changes), and a very good surprise a funky joint that should have been on DDD POKE STOP (excellent Poke, soft shell crabs, burgers, crab cakes, Onion Rings, Garlic Tater Tots, garlic shrimp poke). As you can tell from my list these are all fine dining white linen table cloth type establishments. NOT they are funky neighborhood places locals go.

Then at exit 7 is where you can find a shopping center with FOOD TRUCKS OMG Laverne's, Dick's Lechon, and the Leonards Bakery Truck for MALASADAS can't explain them just try them even the one with Li Hing.

Traffic on this trip due to road work all over the island was the worst we have ever experienced every trip to the North shore took over and hour each way so it took up a lot of our day. The trips to the north shore that was worth the drive was:
Waimea Valley - Where Waimea Falls are awaiting you after a 3/4 of a mile walk through the most beautiful botanical garden ever. First time doing this and it will be part of every future trip.

Kualoa Ranch (Jurassic Park movie set) - Did the UTV ride here and the views were amazing. only downer here was it would been better if it had been narrated spend the extra money and get the tape recorded guide.

Climb Works Zip Line - Another amazing experience. 9 lines great views 7 year old grandson had a blast.

Seven Brothers Burgers - One of the better meals we had it is now on my list to return.

Mike's Huli Huli Chicken speaks for itself.

Giovanni's I have really liked this place in the past this time not so much I do believe that they have become just another tourist stop and because of its popularity the quality has dropped significantly. I will seek out closer placer to Aulani for this on future trips.

Matsumoto Shave Ice another place that its popularity has come back to haunt it in quality issues. Waiola Shave Ice in Honolulu has it beat now my go to standard for all shave ice in future.

We did a lot had a great trip already started planning for 2022 as we go every two years.

Also we did something new this time at Aulani we rented the lower Casabella's at A'Ma A'Ma for 3 days OMG, what a value private spot for us to enjoy with 6 people right on the beach again put on the list for next trip.

ALOHA SWAP MEET at Aloha Stadium NOT TO BE MISSED great place to pick up all those souvenirs you want to bring back at reasonable prices. Sat, Sun, and Wed

Also you can get you Macadamia nut supplies at Costco.

If you are catholic and are looking for a place for services St. Rita's Church 2.9 miles from Aulani is a very welcoming place.

My 2 cents feel free to reach out to me if you would like more information.

Don't forget about all the other things to explore on Oahu! If you rent a car (even for a day or two) it's easy to explore around the island, and the island has so much to explore!

A day or half day at the classic Waikiki beach will be enjoyable for your family and especially your daughter. She (or all of you) can take a surf lesson and/or help paddle an outrigger. Stroll along the classic beachfront, hop to one or two of the classic restaurants along the strand (Duke's is a favorite of ours) and check out the shopping.

On a more somber note, a visit to Pearl Harbor is a memorable experience.

For snorkeling, the classic Oahu spot is Hanauma Bay. For hiking, there's the hike to the top of DIamond Head, or Manoa Falls. If you take a day to drive to the North Shore, in summer you can see the Sea Turtles along the beaches and one of the top Oahu attractions, the Polynesian Cultural Center (stay for the luau and show).

Aulani is wonderful and located in a lovely location, but Oahu is worth getting out to explore!

I sort of skimmed over the question about the pool view. We had a room overlooking the volcano slide on 5th floor and didn’t hear anything with the doors closed. We never even heard Aunty blow the conch :(. Sorry @plygph that you had noise but sounds like you had an amazing trip! How did I miss that pineapple cobbler???!?

Thank you everyone for taking your time for the great advice! It’s starting to feel real and quite fun to start planning. I really do appreciate all the ideas.

Agree. Just be sure there isn't an event happening the day you plan to go to the swap meet. Depending on the event scheduled, the swap meet may close early or no't open at all.

Thank you everyone for taking your time for the great advice! It’s starting to feel real and quite fun to start planning. I really do appreciate all the ideas.

Planning, for me, is a huge part of my vacations. I love seeing what there is for us to do and to plan our days out. Crazy, I know. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter