first visit - report

argentia

Earning My Ears
Just got back from our first DVC visit - 2 weeks at OKW and 1 week at our home resort VB. Had a great time and accommodation lived up to our expectations. Here are some observations (good and bad).

Staff very friendly and helpful
Lots if useful perks which help save money (although you have already effectively paid for them with your points/dues)
Everything went like clockwork including a prezzy from MM for my 10 year old son on his birthday
Got ripped off with a phonecall from our room at OKW (2 minute international call cost $29) would have been cheaper to send a text - watch out for this one, there is no indication of costs in the room)
Standards generally very good however we noticed that the room servicing could have been better between guests at both resorts - sweet and sweet papers and a pair of somebody elses undies found under the beds/behind furniture!! I think a bit more effort is needed in this area.
noticed some minor litter dotted around OKW resort which was not removed during our 2 week stay (I am being picky here)

All in all a great holiday. Looking forward to the next one!

I was a bit dissappointed in housekeeping to to be honest. we actually never got it couple of days and like you there was stuff left from the previous occupents. like you though we had a good time :thumbsup2

I was a bit dissappointed in housekeeping to to be honest. we actually never got it couple of days and like you there was stuff left from the previous occupents. like you though we had a good time :thumbsup2

Was this stay through your own points? As if a DVC member unless you pay extra for daily housekeeping it is only a trash and tidy on day 4 and full clean on day 8. But as for previous occupants left overs not very nice :(

Claire ;)

yes, unfortunately the left overs were from the previous occupants. Couldn't really understand why as there was plenty of space under the bed to get the hoover under. looks like the cleaning isn't up to the usual 'disney' standards. Also, forgot to mention that when we arrived at VB the wash basin was blocked and leaking beneath the sink. Had to report this twice before it was sorted out. Interestingly, we never got an apology from any of the staff for binging the matter to their attention. Now, maybe its just me, but wouldn't you think there are some basic things that should be checked before the room is passed as ready to occupy? finally, has anybody else stayed in a room at VB where the balcony is effectively enclosed by a low, solid wall that you cannot see over unless you stand up? This is the first hotel balcony that I have seen like this and to be honest was a little disappointing considering this was our home resort and we booked it 11 months in advance. It would have been nice to have been able to sit on the balcony in the evenings and watch the world go by. As I said previously, it did not spoil the holiday, just minor niggles I guess. You live and learn. Next time I will be more specific when booking!

, has anybody else stayed in a room at VB where the balcony is effectively enclosed by a low, solid wall that you cannot see over unless you stand up? This is the first hotel balcony that I have seen like this and to be honest was a little disappointing considering this was our home resort and we booked it 11 months in advance. It would have been nice to have been able to sit on the balcony in the evenings and watch the world go by.

I don't know about VB, but we have had this kind of balcony at the Boardwalk. It was a pity as we were dead center pool view, but there are some balconies like this... it's an esthetics thing i suppose.

Glad to hear all the things that were not up to standard didn't spoil your trip.

We are planning on spending a couple of days at VB next year. What kind of room were you in? We are hoping to book a Ocean View Inn room.

Was this stay through your own points? As if a DVC member unless you pay extra for daily housekeeping it is only a trash and tidy on day 4 and full clean on day 8. But as for previous occupants left overs not very nice :(

Claire ;)

both Claire, we were there for 14 nights 2 of that on cash which gives you daily cleaning (which we never got) however the point part we never got replemished with the stuff everyone is meant to and although we got clean sheets we were left with the dirty ones.:confused: didn't spoil our hoiday though (we did complain , nicely) by phone, told to go to front desk which we did then told to write :sad2: which we did and we got this reply

I apologize for the challenges you incurred during your stay at the
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa. When we receive comments from
Members, such as yours, they are shared with various areas of our
organization. You can be assured that your comments have been shared.

The feedback we receive from our Members is very important to us as it
lets us know what we are doing right and what we can do better. As we
strive to improve the benefits and services we provide to our Members,
we are constantly evaluating our operation.

Thank you for writing and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Sincerely,

Disney Vacation Club
Member Correspondence

will know the next time though ;)

Thanks for all the info regarding housekeeping etc. We will be first timers at SS and VB in January so will certainly keep your comments in mind.

Hope I am not going off topic in this next question. Have any of you used the Dining Plan in past visits? I have tried a search but almost all of the comments I have seen are from US based users. Just wondered what the UK take on this is.

Argentia - what were your dining "habits" whilst at VB? Did you stay on site or use other restaurants nearby?

Thanks

I've neve used the Dining Plan, but if you are going to be at WDW for at least 10 days each year you might want to invest in an annual pass instead.

This'll let you get a Disney Dining Experience card which gives you a blanket 20% off from most table service Restraunts on property for up to 10 people (the discount even applies to alcahol)!

We did the maths and it worked out much better than going on the dining plan.

jharrowell - Thanks

Annual Passes are certainly on our minds - we hope to return October(ish) next year.

Have to admit that I hadn't picked up on the Dining Experience card. A search on the boards has thrown up many possitive comments but I have been unable to find any mention of it on the links I have followed through the DCV members site :surfweb: Has it been withdrawn? :sad2: Or more likely, am I missing the obvious :rolleyes1

Incidentally, where in SE Cymru are you? I lived in Caerphilly for 20 years before heading back North. Worked in Newport.

Found the link and information on the Dining Experience :thumbsup2 Should have started with Disboards in the first place!!!!

I'll certainly consider this option.

Room at VB was the inn studio with garden (car park!) view towards the front of the hotel.

Dining 'habits' at VB. We tended to eat breakfast at Shutters on site and snacked during the day eating out in the evening. We found a very nice little restaurant called the Lemon Tree (recommended by a local) 3 course meal with wine around £15 each, very nice food (and not too much!). Once you venture towards the town of VB there are plenty of eating places.

Not too sure about VB but we booked 11 months out for SSR and got the worse villa in the whole resort! We moved the next day as were walk to Down town disney or crossroads most nights. We should have been charged $25 but they let us off after we did not get our room the next day until gone 6.00 p.m and it had not been cleaned at all with the beds all not made etc.

I believe the trick is to arrived early!!

Susan

Sue - I noted your comment about arriving early. We're on a wait list for our first night and are staying offsite in Lake Buena Vista. It means our current plan is to check into OKW about 9am on the second day.

If we get our wait list we'll be checking in at 6.30pm... I'm sorely tempted to cancel the wait list!

on the phone charges its all pointed out when you check in(disney had lots of complants about phones)also listed at side of phone on little booklet.best to get a phone card and if using dvc room its free to phone freephone number from room.there is a charge at non dvc disney resorts to conect.
Paulh

jharrowell - Thanks

Annual Passes are certainly on our minds - we hope to return October(ish) next year.

Have to admit that I hadn't picked up on the Dining Experience card. A search on the boards has thrown up many possitive comments but I have been unable to find any mention of it on the links I have followed through the DCV members site :surfweb: Has it been withdrawn? :sad2: Or more likely, am I missing the obvious :rolleyes1

To be quite honest they don't advertise it that much, I found out from member services after reading about it on a message board.

Incidentally, where in SE Cymru are you? I lived in Caerphilly for 20 years before heading back North. Worked in Newport.

I'm in Chepstow, so not that far away from there. (just a spit away from the Old Severn Bridge)

hi paulh

I didn't see anything about ripping me off on international calls. Nobogy advised us at check in and there certainly was not any idea of charges/costs at the side of the phone, nor in the literature in the room. I will be using my mobile next time - send a text its cheaper!!

hi paulh

I didn't see anything about ripping me off on international calls. Nobogy advised us at check in and there certainly was not any idea of charges/costs at the side of the phone, nor in the literature in the room. I will be using my mobile next time - send a text its cheaper!!

on sign in sheet when checking in they put an X against phone charges,and little booklet always at side of phone has a small notepad inside(its folded 3 ways) with a pen usaly on top.As i said using pre paid phonecard its free to use from dvc rooms
Paulh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter