First VRBO for beach home

NinaBella

DIS Veteran
I am wondering what others think? LOL, I know, a dangerous question.

I just booked a beach home for $2321.62 for 3 nights. I really want to add a 4th night but debating that with the hubby. This home is on a canal (dock with chairs to have a evening glass of wine), private pool. Four houses from the beach with a walk thru between two houses to get to the beach (I looked down various streets on google maps to check out the neighborhood), and within a reasonable walk is a public beach access with room to park the car if we are too lazy to walk or want to haul our chairs in the truck.

It sleeps 8 and we will have 8. Queen bed for me and DH. My teens will be 15 (DD) and 16 (DS) on the travel dates so they will each get a sofa (two sitting rooms with comfy looking sofas). Then there is another bedroom with a queen bed and another room with two twins. Joining us are DH sister, DH niece, and DH great nieces who will be just turning 10 and 6 around the travel dates.

We had the option to pay extra for 7 bikes, but didn't choose that option. I did choose the tandem kayak for cause I think my teens will like that and the pool heater cause reviews said water was cool/cold even in summer without the heater and I don't like cold water. LOL. The owner reduced some the the rental fees which was nice. I may ask some local friends if they have a paddle board or another kayak we can also borrow to take to the home. I don't think the roads on the google map is where I want the 10 and 6 year old riding bikes as I didn't see sidewalks but we could bring our own bikes if we wanted. Almost all reviews are a 5 except one had that was because of an issue with the boat dock and boat trailer, which we are not bringing a boat.

The nightly rate advertised was 343, but final price with the extra rentals, cleaning fee, taxes was the $2321.62, which I assume is normal? I am not complaining about the price at all as I looked at many homes and this is the one I liked the best, although if it had one more bed, that would have been great to get the kids off the couch. My DH might decide to take the couch and let me DD sleep with me since DD sleeps late and he is an early riser.

The extra fees under own fees listed as available were for the bike rental, kayak rental, realtor key exchange, pool heater, and a cleaning/laundry/trash fee. There is a $500 refundable damage deposit. I do not anticipate any damage with my group. There was also the VRBO service fee.

Last edited:
Yes, VRBO fees have gotten out of hand. I feel like renting through them has turned into a rip off but I understand they offer protection. That seems like a lot for just three nights but it may be normal for the beach you are visiting.

It's difficult to say without knowing the area. Seems high but again depends. We used VRBO and Homeaway for years but stopped after the fees. They really are no different than a rental company.

We spent a week on Anna Maria Island 3 years ago. Gorgeous place! We rented through these people and had a great experience, would definitely use them again:
https://www.annamaria.com/

Thanks for the link. There are only two homes listed available for our dates are are both fantastic homes; however, require a full week stay and talking my DH into 3 nights was a big deal. I am still trying to tell him we should add a fourth night. The one home that was a single family home, on the canal, with a fabulous pool was $6825.16 for the week! That would be hard to convince DH of that but I love the pool at that home and it has a slide too. We have never been to Anna Maria since we moved here in 2003, but we are about 1 hour 40 minutes away depending on traffic. We usually go to St. Pete beach, Ft. Desoto, etc. Last time the same relatives came we booked one of our favorite boutique hotels (two rooms) for two nights and it rained off and on both days, so it was sort of a bust. We spent time in the lobby playing board games and didn't have a kitchen. So I think a house is the better option this time. Plus, DH and I have been talking that we need to visit more places in Florida.

This was the home that came up that has the great pool. I wish it could be rented for less than a week. https://www.annamaria.com/vacation-rentals/prop/tortuga-bay/

I am wondering what others think? LOL, I know, a dangerous question.

I just booked a beach home for $2321.62 for 3 nights. I really want to add a 4th night but debating that with the hubby. This home is on a canal (dock with chairs to have a evening glass of wine), private pool. Four houses from the beach with a walk thru between two houses to get to the beach (I looked down various streets on google maps to check out the neighborhood), and within a reasonable walk is a public beach access with room to park the car if we are too lazy to walk or want to haul our chairs in the truck.

It sleeps 8 and we will have 8. Queen bed for me and DH. My teens will be 15 (DD) and 16 (DS) on the travel dates so they will each get a sofa (two sitting rooms with comfy looking sofas). Then there is another bedroom with a queen bed and another room with two twins. Joining us are DH sister, DH niece, and DH great nieces who will be just turning 10 and 6 around the travel dates.

We had the option to pay extra for 7 bikes, but didn't choose that option. I did choose the tandem kayak for cause I think my teens will like that and the pool heater cause reviews said water was cool/cold even in summer without the heater and I don't like cold water. LOL. The owner reduced some the the rental fees which was nice. I may ask some local friends if they have a paddle board or another kayak we can also borrow to take to the home. I don't think the roads on the google map is where I want the 10 and 6 year old riding bikes as I didn't see sidewalks but we could bring our own bikes if we wanted. Almost all reviews are a 5 except one had that was because of an issue with the boat dock and boat trailer, which we are not bringing a boat.

The nightly rate advertised was 343, but final price with the extra rentals, cleaning fee, taxes was the $2321.62, which I assume is normal? I am not complaining about the price at all as I looked at many homes and this is the one I liked the best, although if it had one more bed, that would have been great to get the kids off the couch. My DH might decide to take the couch and let me DD sleep with me since DD sleeps late and he is an early riser.

The extra fees under own fees listed as available were for the bike rental, kayak rental, realtor key exchange, pool heater, and a cleaning/laundry/trash fee. There is a $500 refundable damage deposit. I do not anticipate any damage with my group. There was also the VRBO service fee.

Now after your stay on Anna Maria Island & if you wish to return to The Disney area

I would be very happy to rent out my 5 bed , 4 bath & large pool , Villa on Hwy 27

& near Champions Gate for 5 days for $ 2000.00 + cleaning fee of $ 85 . SUBJECT to AVAILABILITY

& NO bikes or Kayaks

This is the place we rented, we shared it with my friend and her kids. It was gorgeous. They list it as a 3 bedroom but it actually is a 4 bedroom with the bunk room. The management company was great, they showed up promptley when my then 2-year-old locked himself in the elevator, lol.
https://www.annamaria.com/vacation-rentals/prop/mango-bay/

That is a beautiful place! Was it on the beach or walking distance to the beach?

That is a beautiful place! Was it on the beach or walking distance to the beach?
We probably could have walked to the beach, but it would have been a long walk when hauling beach chairs/umbrellas. We drove and parked at the main public access point of Holmes Beach where there was a restaurant and bathrooms. Anna Maria island has no high rises and tbe beach was never crowded.

This is the place we rented, we shared it with my friend and her kids. It was gorgeous. They list it as a 3 bedroom but it actually is a 4 bedroom with the bunk room. The management company was great, they showed up promptley when my then 2-year-old locked himself in the elevator, lol.
https://www.annamaria.com/vacation-rentals/prop/mango-bay/

While that home is nice, it just has the look and feel of a normal FL townhome. I am interested in old Florida style beach cottage look and feel.
Now after your stay on Anna Maria Island & if you wish to return to The Disney area

I would be very happy to rent out my 5 bed , 4 bath & large pool , Villa on Hwy 27

& near Champions Gate for 5 days for $ 2000.00 + cleaning fee of $ 85 . SUBJECT to AVAILABILITY

& NO bikes or Kayaks

You may have missed the part where I said I live in Tampa. No need to rent a home at Disney. We mainly go to Disney for weekend cheer competitions so never stay more than 2 nights (and sometimes we still drive back and forth). I also get a pretty decent rate at Orlando hotels with the military discount, or staying at Shades of Green. I mean I have stayed at Gaylord Palms for $99 a night before. We typically pay between $99 - 129 a night in Orlando. Except last year for my birthday we stayed at The Four Seasons. :) Ft Wilderness Cabins I have paid more than the $129 a night, but when we stay there we do not go into the parks. All three of my boys are actually anti-Disney. My daughter still likes it but usually brings a friend.

This is the place I have reserved. It is 4 houses down from the beach and I checked on google maps that there is a walk thru, public beach access between two homes. It is about a 15 minute walk to the public beach access & parking for Homes Beach.

While, I have have seen some fabulous homes with pools with waterslides, etc. It would be nice for a water slide but not necessary. We will spend one day at Adventure Island Water Park during their stay. It is a three night minimum stay which is hard to find as most have a full week minimum stay.

We have friends in Tampa that have a canal front home (they live in year around) and they have had my daughter's team bonding at their home and it has always been a blast with the pool, paddle boards, and their jet ski's and boat. Of course they take the girls tubing which is always a blast for the girls. DH niece would never let her girls go tubing I don't think. She is pretty over protective (not that it is bad). The girls live in Detroit area, so are not use to water sports.

The plan is to pick up the relatives on Saturday or Sunday (too far out to book flights). Go to Magic Kingdom on Monday (before they get too much sun), Adventure Island on Tuesday, Anna Maria check in is on Wed, check out on Saturday morning. Relatives plan is to fly out Saturday afternoon/evening, so they can take Sunday to rest before having to work on Monday. DH can drive them from Anna Maria directly to airport if needed. We will just have two vehicles. Mine and DH. I may ask local friends to borrow a paddle board or another kayak, and maybe take my kids bikes and borrow little kid bikes from a friend. One of my adult sons has a long bed truck and can bring the bikes for us. He lives with us but is working in Bradenton so wouldn't bee too much farther to deliver anything to the beach house. He is actually looking around for an affordable home/apartment for a single 23 year old in the Bradenton area.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter