First week of March

busymomma123

DIS Veteran
Tell me about the first week of March, please. Is the weather typically good? We are use to going in October and we want to try something different. What about crowds? TIA

FYI, Mardi Gras is Tuesday 3/5 in 2019. It has been much earlier in Feb the last few years. Disney tends to be a big destination for many families from Louisiana that week.

We went the first week in March in 2017, but Mardi Gras was the prior week. Crowds were fairly "low" - got on most rides within 30 minutes besides the big ticket attractions. The weather was nice for us - no rain, and probably low 80s. I wore shorts and a tshirt or tank top every day. Overall, it didn't seem too crowded, and I'd go again during that timeframe. But I'd imagine Mardi Gras will make it much busier that prior weekend.

My last trip to Disney World was this year (2018) from March 1st - March 9th. The weather was great for touring the parks both during the day and the evening -- really beautiful weather with low humidity and no afternoon showers. It did get cold a few days with temperatures in the low 60s and 50s at night, especially for the Disney After Hours event on March 8th. For swimming in the afternoon, I needed to use the heated main pool as opposed to the quiet pool because of the temperatures. In the parks, the crowds were moderate with the longest wait being approximately 30-45 minutes. Most of the time, I took advantage of single rider and/or FastPass. Overall, it was a great time to enjoy a vacation at Disney, with an added benefit of Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot.

We've gone at that time of year 2 years in a row. It is an amazing time to go, but we never had to deal with Mardi Gras. I think if you go right in between the Half Marathon and Mardi Gras you may be okay. I honestly think most times are okay crowd wise if you have a good plan and go in with an open mind.

The weather has been AMAZING during that time! We didn't have any rain last year or this year during that time. We lucked out this year and were there when there was a warm spell before it got cold again. We all got sun burnt, but we came from snow so we embraced the burn.

If that's your only time to go I would do it!

I always go the last week of February, first week of March (9 years straight). Low crowds (what is considered low now-a-days), low humidity, no rain, temps during the day may go as high as 85 but usually between 75-80. Lows at night are usually around 60-65. Swimming every day. I also come from snow belt so it feels good to get that sun on your back.

You should just miss the Spring Break crowds. Weather is usually nice, not really hot yet, and not as cool as January or February.

I always go the last week of February, first week of March (9 years straight). Low crowds (what is considered low now-a-days), low humidity, no rain, temps during the day may go as high as 85 but usually between 75-80. Lows at night are usually around 60-65. Swimming every day. I also come from snow belt so it feels good to get that sun on your back.
Completely agree with all of this.

I went that week last year. Crowds were not bad. Weather was mostly mild, with the following exceptions:
  • The one day I went to a spring training game was uncomfortably humid and hot.
  • It rained one evening, but only because that was the one time I left my rain poncho in my room.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I never knew Madri Gras could impact the parks. I ended up booking for 2/24, but now I see that’s the Princess Half Marathon weekend. May change arrival to Tuesday that week and hope for the best.

We are planning on going last week in february, hoping it will be low crowds and nice weather without being too hot :) so this sounds about right! Thanks for the info!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I never knew Madri Gras could impact the parks. I ended up booking for 2/24, but now I see that’s the Princess Half Marathon weekend. May change arrival to Tuesday that week and hope for the best.
I would definitely move it after the Princess Half if you can. That will make things pretty crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter