Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

I'm 6'7" and 350 lbs and rode it twice! It's so nice when a ride lives up to the hype, it was seriously excellent.

I was so worried going into the ride room and even more so once I sat down and my knees hit the top of the restraint. I was able to shimmy them in and had my wife kick my feet inside, and the CMs there were great to give the restraint an extra push on my back to get it locked. It took about 10+ minutes for the blood to get back in my feet and stop tingling after the ride, and over a week later my knees are still a little bruised, but it was so worth it!

Now just 2 more years til we go back :faint:

We plan to ride Saturday morning but we were in animal kingdom last night and I tried the test seat and had no problem, the cast member said I would be fine.

5’6 265 size 16/18 pants, 1x top 20.5” calves

Last edited:

I'm 5 6 and my calves are at 20.5", I carry my weight pretty evenly so even though I'm heavier (about 260), I wear an 18. My feet are women's 9.

I'm assuming from these posts that I likely won't fit solely because of my calf size, is that right?

You have almost the exact same proportions as my best friend, except her calves measure at 21". She fit. She said it was tight on her calves, but the restraints clicked in on their own with no help from a CM. Hope that makes you feel better!

Edited to add: Definitely try the test seat if you're worried. My best friend said the fit on the test seat was actually tighter on her calves than on the ride itself...she's the only one of us who tried it though, so I'm only passing on her experience.

once I sat down and my knees hit the top of the restraint. I was able to shimmy them in and had my wife kick my feet inside, and the CMs there were great to give the restraint an extra push on my back to get it locked. It took about 10+ minutes for the blood to get back in my feet and stop tingling after the ride, and over a week later my knees are still a little bruised,
That was my problem, 6' 6" here. The top of my legs/knees to my feet would not fit vertically in the front part of the restraint; I did could not ride. Maybe if I removed my shoes next time, whenever that is.

Glad to hear you were able to ride. :thumbsup2

I'm 5'11, 280lbs. I carry all my weight in my gut and ad side gut. I had ABSOLUTELY no issues. In fact. I was comfortable!

We plan to ride Saturday morning but we were in animal kingdom last night and I tried the test seat and had no problem, the cast member said I would be fine.

5’6 265 size 16/18 pants, 1x top 20.5” calves

I fit! I had to lift my heels up a bit but I locked. Honestly the most amazing ride ever!

We got to the park at about 7:20 and we were done by 8:15 (8:00) EMH.

That was my problem, 6' 6" here. The top of my legs/knees to my feet would not fit vertically in the front part of the restraint; I did could not ride. Maybe if I removed my shoes next time, whenever that is.

Glad to hear you were able to ride. :thumbsup2

I don't understand...they wouldn't let you ride because your feet were not flat on the floor? That's terrible!

I'm 6'6" as well (230lbs), and rode FoP twice in one day, getting very lucky with FP+ both times.
My feet were not flat at all... my knees were bent so that my feet were back under my butt, and only my toes were on the ground with my heels up(shoes were on). No cast member made any attempt to push them in further and flatten them, nor removed me from the ride.

Having read some of the horror stories on here I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to ride, but once locked in I was comfortable enough to want to ride all night long!

side note: I noticed just a bit of motion sickness on my first ride, when we were on the bottom row. The next ride, on the top row, felt much better! Less screen distortion?

Another vote for the issue being foot and calf size! My DH is tall, with size 14 feet and giant calves. We had people in our party who have a gut and had no issues, but my DH with the large feet and calves was able to ride only 1 of the 2 times we rode. The 2nd time around the CM couldn't get the leg restraint to lock. It was the end of the night and the end of our trip, so my guess is that he had some natural swelling from our day/week (plus the sodium levels of WDW food!).

Good job Jimmy Mouse! :) Glad to see you found something that works for you.

While I was never considered obese (at least I don't think?) - I did gain close to 40lbs after I quit smoking cold turkey. Now I used Weight Watchers and I'll swear by it. I know it's cliche, but it really taught me how to eat, not diet. I still use it online even though I don't need to. I've kept the weight off over two years now I think?
Anyways, long story short, I lost the weight and here I am 5 years later - a happy with my size, non-smoker! I NEVER thought I could quit smoking - I am most proud of myself.

I love success stories! :)

Congratulations!! People that go on 'diets' are mostly doomed to failure. Weight Watchers teaches you a way of eating for life, not just to lose weight initially. Going on a diet usually means a starting and ending point. I know, I have done that in the past, lost some weight, stopped diet, went back to 'normal' eating, gained it all back and more.

About 4 years ago, decided to change my eating habits completely. I don't have 'any' forbidden' foods (I love bread and chocolate!!) but I do limit my daily caloric intake, and eat some things in moderation. Exercise is 'my' key - no way around it. I'm thankful for what it does for my health - no high BP, cholesterol, or other weight related issues. A healthy weight is my life goal now.

And, yes, I do indulge!! Just leaving Disney, and oh, did I enjoy!! Back to 'my' normal for me now though!

Today was a happy day! I rode FOP, and both restraints easily locked on their own. When I rode in September, a cast member really had to work with the leg restraints every time I tried — and one time I didn’t get to ride.

The difference between today and then? I had weight-loss surgery in October and am down almost 50 pounds! I was so excited today when those restraints locked. It was tangible proof of the weight I’ve lost!

Just got back from our trip and I just wanted to mention that CM's appear to have caught on to the shoe removal option. Our ride was delayed 15 minutes as two different riders had removed their shoes and placed them in the bins behind us. The CM in our room checked the bins before checking the riders and then required both riders to put on their shoes. An argument then ensued as the CM outside of the ride was blamed for telling guests they COULD remove their shoes. After both guests put their shoes on neither could get the restraint to click closed and were forced to make the walk of shame. I really wanted to boo the CM, I see absolutely no reason why these guests couldn't ride. It was pretty humiliating. Both were very tall men, I'd say 6'5"+.

Just got back and was so happy that I tried to get on. I went to the test seat and the cast member said I wouldn't have a problem. When I got on I didn't need any assistance at all. I am 290 (maybe more after this trip) and 6ft. I have pretty strong calves but have no measure them. I hope everyone has a chance to go on this. The ride is amazing but I don't believe 3 hours amazing which was the average wait time when we were there. Pandora at night is simply breathtaking.

Just got back and was so happy that I tried to get on. I went to the test seat and the cast member said I wouldn't have a problem. When I got on I didn't need any assistance at all. I am 290 (maybe more after this trip) and 6ft. I have pretty strong calves but have no measure them. I hope everyone has a chance to go on this. The ride is amazing but I don't believe 3 hours amazing which was the average wait time when we were there. Pandora at night is simply breathtaking.
Yes the ride is pretty amazing, i agree. Although i did feel nauseous afterwards, it was totally worth it. Very cool. I agree that Pandora at night is gorgeous. One tiny complaint i have is how dark Pandora is at night though. Its a tad too dark...but still gorgeous! :)

Adding my experience. 6’8”. 210 lbs. 36-37” inseam. 15 shoe. I fit just fine with room to spare on the leg restraints. The test chair was helpful and eased any anxiety I had. The CM was very friendly about it.

I should add that it’s not worth a 3 hour wait. 50-60 minutes in the fastpass line tonight was enough.

I'll be attempting to ride this coming Tuesday. Thankfully I have FastPasses, so if in the off chance I don't get to ride, I won't let it ruin my day as I won't have waited too long. I wear a 22/24 from Lane Bryant and have 19 inch calves. I'm planning on wearing flip flops to assist in the shoe department. I'll check back in here to let you know if I was successful. Fingers crossed!

Just got back from our trip and I just wanted to mention that CM's appear to have caught on to the shoe removal option. Our ride was delayed 15 minutes as two different riders had removed their shoes and placed them in the bins behind us. The CM in our room checked the bins before checking the riders and then required both riders to put on their shoes. An argument then ensued as the CM outside of the ride was blamed for telling guests they COULD remove their shoes. After both guests put their shoes on neither could get the restraint to click closed and were forced to make the walk of shame. I really wanted to boo the CM, I see absolutely no reason why these guests couldn't ride. It was pretty humiliating. Both were very tall men, I'd say 6'5"+.

I could see how it would be humiliating to get caught trying to break rules - but if the CM told the guests they could take off their shoes, there's no reason to be humiliated.

Now, as to why the guests couldn't ride - because for health and safety reasons guests have to wear shoes. Why do you have to call it the walk of shame?

Adding my experience. 6’8”. 210 lbs. 36-37” inseam. 15 shoe. I fit just fine with room to spare on the leg restraints. The test chair was helpful and eased any anxiety I had. The CM was very friendly about it.

I should add that it’s not worth a 3 hour wait. 50-60 minutes in the fastpass line tonight was enough.
50-60 min in the FASTPASS lane sounds rough. Standby must have been atrocious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!