Flights and weather..... stuff to keep in mind

hsmamato2

<font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad
A long while back there was a really good thread here about the best way to deal with weather issues while traveling (hello horrible spring weather here) In the past week I've had to help two friends rearrange their flights due to weather upsets (snowstorms!!!) the first was very difficult b/c the friend had used a TA who didn't keep them up to date,and didn't know their flight was canceled until the notifications went out to people. I helped them reschedule,but they lost 3 days off their vacation. The 2nd ,I notified her as soon as I saw the weather forecast. She said"I don't have to do anything unless I get an email from airline,right?".....NOPE!
I explained (passionately) that as soon as a notice went up on the airlines website, to go online,locate an alternate flight,and call in at the same time to reschedule BEFORE any notices get sent out. By the time 2nd friend rebooked ,all flights for two days after were booked solid(notice hadn't gone out yet) they got a flight home 3 days after storm forecast,and it's all good. Moral of story here is it's up to you personally to watch the weather forecast for anything obvious,and don't rely on waiting for a text from the airline. (this doesn't always work if weather is unexpected) I just figured I'd share that here for anyone who doesn't know this already. If a storm is coming,and it's big,it's going to disrupt flights,and it pays to know this ahead of time to 'beat the crowd' and rebook with no penalty.

I explained (passionately) that as soon as a notice went up on the airlines website, to go online,locate an alternate flight,and call in at the same time to reschedule BEFORE any notices get sent out. By the time 2nd friend rebooked ,all flights for two days after were booked solid(notice hadn't gone out yet) they got a flight home 3 days after storm forecast,and it's all good. Moral of story here is it's up to you personally to watch the weather forecast for anything obvious,and don't rely on waiting for a text from the airline. (this doesn't always work if weather is unexpected) I just figured I'd share that here for anyone who doesn't know this already. If a storm is coming,and it's big,it's going to disrupt flights,and it pays to know this ahead of time to 'beat the crowd' and rebook with no penalty.

Followed this advice before Hurricane Matthew hit. Was at WDW with my nephew, and I told him we had to keep checking on line to see if they would open up flight changes. Even checking as often as we did, we ended up with a flight that left at 7 am (had to be out at the ME bus stop at 4 am!). Many flights were already sold out. Some of the best advice I have ever gotten from these boards is to keep checking for airlines to waive change fees before a weather event.

I was supposed to fly to Orlando from Newark today. Yesterday I stalked the JetBlue website waiting for them
to announce that they were waiving change fees for my travel date. They didn't add EWR to the list until 5PM yesterday so I immediately went online and changed my flight to tomorrow at no additional charge. Up to that time it would have been $150 to change.
Now I'm watching the 9" snowfall outside hoping it will stop. The flight I chose is 9:35AM tomorrow. Will probably take Uber to the airport instead of my original plan of taking NJt train from South Amboy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!