Flights Oct 2017 - any way of getting a reasonable price?

diberry

DIS Veteran
My husband and I are going to WDW for October half-term (he's a teacher), but the flight prices are crazy. Is there any way of getting reasonably priced flights, please? Direct from Manchester with Virgin is £2500 for the two of us. Taking indirect flights seems to entail waiting hours at random airport on the way. Any advice gratefully received!

I think that is quite a reasonable price for booking 6 months before the travel date and during school holidays.

Thatmay be the best price you find. You only thing I could suggest is maybe look on the comparison sites such skyscanner

Oh dear. When you say "a reasonable price for booking 6 months before the travel date" does that mean it may get cheaper nearer to the travel date?

Hi

We're going in October from Manchester via Philadelphia and we booked our flights 1st December 2016. I've just checked for you assuming you are taking one week (the school holiday) and leaving Manchester 21st October returning 28th October this is what you can have for £2200 with American Airlines(so you know for next time DW 2 x DD (13 and 15) and me paid £2600 could have got cheaper flights but like these and we go a week before you do and stay for both weeks)

Depart Manchester, United Kingdom to Orlando, FL Saturday, 21 October 2017
10:50 AM
6:05 PM
12h 15m
1 stopOpens 1 stop pop-up for MAN to MCO, departing at 10:50 AM
AA 735 332-Airbus A330
AA 436 321-Airbus A321 Wifi on-board
Change terminals
Main Cabin

Return Orlando, FL to Manchester, United Kingdom Saturday, 28 October 2017
5:14 PM
7:40 AM
10h 26m
1 stopOpens 1 stop pop-up for MCO to MAN, departing at 5:14 PM
AA 1907 321-Airbus A321 Wifi on-board
AA 734 332-Airbus A330
Overnight flight or connection, Change terminals
Main Cabin

These are the same flights we've done 7 times now and they have in the past been a breeze with little waiting around.

Good luck and see you there!

Regards

paul

Last edited:

That's so kind of you to do that for me, Paul - I appreciate it. I'll have a look at those flights. Thanks again.

Have you looked at Thomas Cook flights from Manchester? They are usually cheaper than Virgin. Only problem is that they don't go every day of the week.

We are also flying AA from Manchester to Orlando via Philadelphia. We paid £1025 for the both of us. 5 hour stopover on the way there (which I like because it takes care of any delays, might want food etc) and then I think it's 8 hours stopover on the way back home (again I don't mind). Flying 14th October and returning 27th :goodvibes

That's a really good price. We found some for £1574 in the end with fairly short stops in Chicago. We have to be back for school on 21st so a bit more expensive. Can't wait!

Don't forget that with those indirect flights via Philadelphia etc. that you will clear immigration there and not in Orlando.

This can be a great timesaver. I've sometimes been waiting in line at Orlando for over an hour after a direct flight and it's great to get that out of the way during your stopover time. Then, when you land in Orlando you just go collect your bags and you're on your way

Hi

One other tip for the Manchester - Philadelphia - Orlando AA Flight, if there is a choice get seats as near the front as possible, there can be a wait at Philadelphia for passport/border control, you then collect your bags (normally already off the carousel and stacked waiting for you) go through customs, then drop your bag on the bag drop before going through security again. This can take about an hour in all. Our flights (for the last 7 years) in October we only ever have a two hour layover and we have always been at the gate for our Orlando flight well before boarding.

Regards

Paul

Thank you, Paul. That's a very useful tip, assuming the same applies to Chicago.

assuming the same applies to Chicago.

Hi

You would assume yes, it's been awhile since I flew into Chicago, however wherever you land in the USA you go through immigration, then customs with your luggage, then after a bag drop and security again, take an internal flight to Orlando.

The only exception as far as I know to this is if you fly from (via) Dublin airport where you can clear US immigration before boarding the flight

Regards

Paul

yes, you clear customs at the first entry point into the US...
most airports are much faster than orlando for immigration/customs clearance..

the two airports i typically enter the US are New york and Detroit....
detroit immigration is usually much faster than new york...and detroit airport is very simple to negotiate if you're flying delta..

We are flying direct from Gatwick to Orlando International on August 31st for £740 for the two is us flying with norweigan airways who I've never used before but don't think can be too bad

Try the United to Jacksonville from Manchester. Good prices and drive not too bad. Add on a few nights in St Augustine or somewhere.

I've also done the Philadelphia, Atlanta, New York and Chicago indirect to Orlando, some many times. All fine.

Take an indirect flight. We haven't done a single leg from MAN to MCO ever. This year is our longest wait a Philadelphia of 4 hours but I got 6 adult return tickets at under 490GBP each. Used most routes including via Dublin and via Schiffol and never pay more than 520GBP for a return adult fare. Flown with Aer Lingus, American, United, Delta, US ( I think on a code share with BA via Heathrow?) Only once went with Virgin on business to the convention centre in Orlando and flew out of Gatwick on a direct flight on my own...never again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!