Flocks of Lawyers Circling WDW ???

I took the judgment out of this so that I could respond and focus on my response.

I agree with you that I dislike that bus drivers ask people on scooters to transfer to seats when they've just taken up 3 seats with the scooter. I fully believe that they should be able to remain on the scooter during travel.

When I required the use of a power wheelchair because of MS (and yeah, I was overweight, but I dropped all that weight so I don't think I qualify in your Jumbo category anymore) they forced me to remain in the wheelchair (which was fine cause I couldn't get up anyway) and put a seatbelt on me. This made me laugh because my chair is strapped down and I am belted in to the chair and then I was belted again to the bus. Meanwhile, the 4 year old on the seat in front of me has no restraint.

I also feel that instead of placing the scooters in the middle of the bus, I wish there was a way to load in the back or the front as I believe, imo, this would alleviate some space issues, but with the way the buses work I don't know if that's possible.

The bus driver is not making them transfer to cause anyone more grief, it's for safety. Scooters are not safe with a person on them and a moving bus. While the scooter can be strapped in, strapping in a rider on a scooter is WAY more difficult than a wheelchair.

Usually a guest in a wheelchair will be asked if they can transfer and allowed to if they can. You were in a power chair, 99% of the guests in a power chair will remain in it, so I can understand why you were belted in but he should have asked and given you the option of transferring.

The 4 year old in the seat unbelted is not required by DOT to be belted in on public transportation, a wheelchair bound person who remains in the chair, is. In this, if you have an issue with it, take it up with the Federal DOT.

While certain bus configurations will allow different tie down locations, the buses Disney has standardized on are only suited for the current locations. There was at least one Nova that had 5 tie down locations. You think the current locations are bad, that one was worse if you used any of the alternate tie down points.

Its too bad that the River Journey wasn't made wheelchair accessible. Hopefully, it'll be remedied with additional boats in the future.

I can walk all day long, but my balance can still be challenging, so I'm worried about getting on rides like the Haunted Mansion without faceplanting. I feel so much for those that won't get to enjoy the new attractions at all. That said, the land looks beautiful enough to be a wonderful addition to AK, which is a beautifully immersive theme park that can be enjoyed just strolling and rolling:)

My mom hates getting on the omnimovers...she also has balance issues and is really scared about face planting...in February, I walked on the outside of her and if she could grab the vehicle, I'd kind of nudge her in (okay, for one it was more of a push because she froze). She actually did very well, and didn't have to have them slow down a single one. I actually was the one who almost face planted. I dropped my phone in the vehicle in Peter Pan and had to go grab it and while bending down to grab it almost face planted.

I'm sure there's a good reason why Disney did this. They leave no stone unturned in attraction development. I'm sure we'll get a "why" soon.

There is no excuse for a boat ride not to be more accommodating. Feels more wrong given that movie's protagonist was a paraplegic.

There is no excuse for a boat ride not to be more accommodating. Feels more wrong given that movie's protagonist was a paraplegic.
Ahhhh but the irony here is that, in Pandora, ALL HUMANS are disabled. It has nothing to do with legs. ;) Humans cannot breathe the atmosphere and we don't have the braidtail -hence why Avatars are cloned in tanks, to be able to "link" to their Human, who then can "link" with Pandora through this connection.

RustyScupper, I think I read about your accident when it happened and I am so sorry it was you. I hope for a full recovery.

We have learned about navigating WDW as my wife have and daughter have become partially disabled. And my wife has always struggled with size.

I am very unhappy with Disney to be creating rides with so much lack of accommodation. Stairs in queues. Wheelchair and ECV unfriendly. Too tight for larger people. They keep inviting controversy on this by a sore lack of empathy is their designs.

RustyScupper, I think I read about your accident when it happened and I am so sorry it was you. I hope for a full recovery.

We have learned about navigating WDW as my wife have and daughter have become partially disabled. And my wife has always struggled with size.

I am very unhappy with Disney to be creating rides with so much lack of accommodation. Stairs in queues. Wheelchair and ECV unfriendly. Too tight for larger people. They keep inviting controversy on this by a sore lack of empathy is their designs.

What stairs in queues? This is a serious question- the rides I can think of with stairs always have a handicapped entrance and/or elevator.

You can transfer. There are a lot of a original rides you have to transfer for anyway, I believe. So I don't really see the controversy there.

What stairs in queues? This is a serious question- the rides I can think of with stairs always have a handicapped entrance and/or elevator.

You can transfer. There are a lot of a original rides you have to transfer for anyway, I believe. So I don't really see the controversy there.
Only one I think of is toy story mania, which plows handicapped people to bypass the stairs with relative ease

The only point you would encounter stairs is when exiting the ride. Two of the four theaters have an elevator I believe.

Only one I think of is toy story mania, which plows handicapped people to bypass the stairs with relative ease
Toy Story Mania has an accessible boarding area which not only bypasss the stairs, but also pulls a ride vehicle offline so it can be transformed into a wheelchair accessible vehicle.
The new queue that was added does not have stairs and can be used by anyone who needs to avoid stairs, but doesn't need the accessible vehicle.

Other than Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, which is all stairs and Tomorrowland Transit Authority, which has steep moving ramps for entry and exit, attractions with stairs have a bypass for guests with mobility devices or who can't use stairs. Many attractions have wheelchair vehicles. Most of those that don't have an accessible vehicle have transfer assist devices/ ride cars.
The few that don't tend to be much older, predating the ADA and have some reason that accessibility would be difficult- like Pirates and Splash Mountain with drops.

The only point you would encounter stairs is when exiting the ride. Two of the four theaters have an elevator I believe.
we have not ridden yet, but I have heard it is at least 2 of the 4, possibly even all 4 that have elevators. And, if you are on the bottom floor, no stairs or elevators needed.
I've also heard from people using ECVs who have ridden both that ECVs can be taken into the lines for both attractions. There is reportedly a place in the line soon before the loading room for For P where guests using ECVs can choose to either walk the rest of the way or switch to an attraction wheelchair.

When the Pandora attractions opened for previews, the accessibility options were not available right away. I don't know if they were not ready or if WDW chose to phase them in. There is current information about accessibility options for Pandora in a thread stuck near the top,of the disABILITIES Board. I've also heard rumors that are more things planned for accessibility, which are not ready yet.
Several people have been told the boats are too small for a ramp (and it does look like they would be from photos I have seen).

Last edited:
I also don't know why there would be 'flocks if lawyers circling WDW"
Would it be nice if the attractions were more easily accessible to guests with mobility disabilities? Of course!
But, is it required? No

Even without any accommodation other than what is known right now, WDW meets the ADA requirements for the Pandora attractions. It actually exceeds them with several different types of transfer devices for each attraction.
The ADA doesn't require ride vehicles be accessible IN a wheelchair. It just requires transfer to be available. It also details the requirements for transfer seats (height, etc) and the size and space requirements for transfer and for wheelchair accessible spaces (mostly talking theaters, but also has guidance for wheelchair accessible ride car spaces).
This is from the ADA Guidelines:

Accessible Rides
Each newly constructed or newly designed amusement ride must provide at least one wheelchair space, or at least one ride seat designed for transfer, or a transfer device designed to transfer a person using a wheelchair from the load and unload area to a ride seat. The choice of which type of access that is provided for each ride is left up to the operator or designer.

I have a big personal interest in just how these attractions are accessible. My youngest daughter is severely physically disabled and needs to be lifted onto rides. Luckily, she's a petite young adult, so she's still somewhat 'portable', but I don't know yet we will be able to get her on either attraction.
We've been traveling with her and/or other people with mobility disabilities for nearly 30 years and have found WDW to be the most accessible place we visit.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me more insight about both pandora rides and ECVs in the line? Due to back problems (not jumbo related, athletic injury in HS rears its ugly head in mid 50s) she cannot stand for longer than 30 minutes. Any problems I should prepare for?

Can anyone give me more insight about both pandora rides and ECVs in the line? Due to back problems (not jumbo related, athletic injury in HS rears its ugly head in mid 50s) she cannot stand for longer than 30 minutes. Any problems I should prepare for?
You can take them in but there are several switchbacks in both. She should be okay though. I didn't recall seeing any ECVs in FoP but did see a few in line for NRJ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter