Florida Resident Question

countrypilot

Earning My Ears
I am in the process of purchasing a second home in Florida. Does anyone have any experience using the second home to qualify for Florida resident rate discounts? I do not plan on switching my identification to Florida, but will be in the state a considerable amount of time. I've reviewed everything on the official Disney page and appear to be okay as I'll have a mortgage and utilities.

I am in the process of purchasing a second home in Florida. Does anyone have any experience using the second home to qualify for Florida resident rate discounts? I do not plan on switching my identification to Florida, but will be in the state a considerable amount of time. I've reviewed everything on the official Disney page and appear to be okay as I'll have a mortgage and utilities.
You're fine with those documents

I have the Florida Resident Silver AP with a second home in FL.
As a follow-up question- Does anyone else have the pass in your family? The second home is in my name and a best friend from high school. My family uses it the majority of the time, but he uses it occasionally too. He could care less about Disney World. I think getting an AP for myself is easy, but I'm wondering how my wife will get one. My name is on the mortgage and the utilities. Her name isn't. I guess we could add her name to a utility bill. It looks like getting the kids one is easy under me, but my wife is a little trickier.

As a follow-up question- Does anyone else have the pass in your family? The second home is in my name and a best friend from high school. My family uses it the majority of the time, but he uses it occasionally too. He could care less about Disney World. I think getting an AP for myself is easy, but I'm wondering how my wife will get one. My name is on the mortgage and the utilities. Her name isn't. I guess we could add her name to a utility bill. It looks like getting the kids one is easy under me, but my wife is a little trickier.
Every adult over 18 has to have something on his or her name with a Florida address from the documents listed

Every adult over 18 has to have something on his or her name with a Florida address from the documents listed
So does this mean if my wife had a utility under her name at the address then we'd be good? It does not say the other people in the house have to show the mortgage document.

I think getting an AP for myself is easy, but I'm wondering how my wife will get one. My name is on the mortgage and the utilities. Her name isn't. I guess we could add her name to a utility bill. It looks like getting the kids one is easy under me, but my wife is a little trickier.

As @yulilin3 says, to get an AP you need one of the listed documents with your name on it. When DW and I got our snowbird home we ended up with the cable bill in my name and the water bill in DW's name. I wish I could say we planned it that way but in the moment we weren't thinking about it. Thankfully it just happened that way which makes getting our resident AP's easy.

Do you have to provide this information in person every year or can you just renew once you have the FL rate?

Do you have to provide this information in person every year or can you just renew once you have the FL rate?
I haven't had to show any new documentation in about 6 years of renewing my ap, since it's all linked through MDE now, but that can always change and Disney states you must show proof on a yearly basis

DW and I have always been asked to show documentation when we renew. But then we always renew in person and pay with an out of state credit card.

Personally, I think the simplest way to deal with resident annual passes is to go to your local FL bank the next time you’re in town. Take THEM your mortgage, etc, to show proof of residency and open a bank account with you and your wife both on it. Then only one document is required for both of you to satisfy Disney. 👍🏻 Plus, it’s super handy to be able to show a digital statement. No paper. No fuss. & No important documents to lose at a theme park 😉

DW and I have always been asked to show documentation when we renew. But then we always renew in person and pay with an out of state credit card.
We always renew online or over the phone (which requires using a credit card with a FL address), but are still always asked for proper documentation when we go to GS window to activate them. It only takes a few seconds- and feels more like a formality.

Personally, I think the simplest way to deal with resident annual passes is to go to your local FL bank the next time you’re in town. Take THEM your mortgage, etc, to show proof of residency and open a bank account with you and your wife both on it. Then only one document is required for both of you to satisfy Disney. 👍🏻 Plus, it’s super handy to be able to show a digital statement. No paper. No fuss. & No important documents to lose at a theme park 😉
A few years ago, we've used this method for my parents who are snowbirds. No problems!

I wanted to share though that Universal does not accept bank statements as proof of residency. We asked them earlier this year (before Covid). They only accept FL IDs, mortgage/lease papers, and utility bills.

A few years ago, we've used this method for my parents who are snowbirds. No problems!

I wanted to share though that Universal does not accept bank statements as proof of residency. We asked them earlier this year (before Covid). They only accept FL IDs, mortgage/lease papers, and utility bills.
About universal. Did you ask at the park or over the phone? I got an ap about 4 years ago with only my bank statement. After that renewal is automatic so you don't have to show any id again

About universal. Did you ask at the park or over the phone? I got an ap about 4 years ago with only my bank statement. After that renewal is automatic so you don't have to show any id again
I asked at the park in January when I got my own AP (I asked for future reference for our parents).
The person acknowledged that they've accepted it in the past but are no longer accepting it.

I asked at the park in January when I got my own AP (I asked for future reference for our parents).
The person acknowledged that they've accepted it in the past but are no longer accepting it.
thanks. Yeah that's weird. I'm sure they are reversing that now though, they need more APs

This is very informative as my house will be ready in October in Florida but not moving till next year, I 'll be sure to bring the correct papers.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my similar but somewhat confusing situation!

So, I bought FL resident tickets for my boyfriend a few months ago. He's been going to college in Florida for three years now. I bought them a few months after I bought tickets for my family, and I was able to do the online verification of residency with my ID. When we went to the parks the rest of my family didn't need to show any form of residency. Additionally, when I bought tickets for my bf and I, it didn't prompt me for any proof of residency. Do y'all think he needs to bring proof of residency? This is a bit complicated, but he doesn't have a Florida ID, we're college students at U of FL so his parents lived in Georgia while he was living in dorms at UF. Now he's going to be moving into an apartment complex in our college town in a few days.

Do y'all think apartment documents would be sufficient to prove residency? Will they even ask because I verified my residency online and I bought tickets on his behalf? If not, his family actually moved to Florida just 2 weeks ago which is a confusing situation that would take too much energy to explain if apartment lease documents would be sufficient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter