Flu shot...do you get one?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
I haven’t gotten one in several years and have so far been pretty lucky. I used to take all three of my kids for one after one Christmas was ruined by the flu. But they are now all older and decide for themselves if they want to get it.

I am also a substitute teacher at an elementary school and all the little darlings seem to be sneezing and coughing and just run down this week.

I also just heard that the flu is now widespread here in Massachusetts so I’m hoping my luck holds out!. All I have been doing is washing my hands constantly and using hand sanitizer. I just don’t want us sick for Christmas!

Does your family get the shot or mist ?

Used to work with the public so DH and I always got the flu shot. Then my mom went to a retirement home and they required all visitors to have the shot, or you couldn’t get in to visit. Now that I’m older, I live in an over 55 community and I get the shot, for me and for others. Some years the match of components in the shot to what’s actually going around is better than other years. I still do it. Every. Single. Year. It takes me maybe 20 minutes total to get the shot free at the pharmacy. I couldn’t stand the idea that my failure to get the shot carried the flu to a vulnerable young child or older person. Getting off the speaker’s box now.

I have to get it for work, but I would get it anyway. My whole family got theirs in September, per recommendations this year. It's not too late to get it. It may not completely prevent you from getting the flu, but it can help lessen the severity of symptoms.

CDC info from the 2017-18 Flu season:
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2017-2018.htm

Last edited:
After several years of no shots, my daughter 17, myself, my husband, and one of our college sons got our shots this year. That same son had an issue in February that compromised his lungs and he had flu-like symptoms with it that were scary.

He is now in a school program that requires him to get a flu shot this year. After seeing what a bad year for flu it was last year, I went ahead and decided daughter and I would get our shots this year.

I talked my husband into getting a shot about 10 days ago at Walgreens when we were shopping.
But I'm on the fence if they're effective or not. I tend to go Elderberry syrup and other home remedies. My boss was sick over the weekend and before I knew what he had I started pumping myself with Elderberry syrup to be around him this week. But what he has is not contagious.

I was out shopping last night and I overheard so many people talking about recent doctor's visits for their kids. So it sounds like crud is in our area, too.

Yes, without a doubt. Sure I've gotten the flu after getting the shot, one time...but that means I likely won't have the flu for another year.

My kids have gotten either the flu shot or mist every year. Last year I finally went and got one because that is all I heard about on the news (everyone getting the flu and being pretty sick). My friend had the flu something horrible last year so now this year my husband even went and got one. My kids never had any kind of reaction and luckily no reaction either for me or my husband.

Always

Now, I'm even more vigilant since my DS has a compromised immune system due to his chemo treatments.

Got it back in October when they were first available. It does not seem like we’re having a very severe “flu year” here yet but we shall see.

Always get it. My husband is a pharmacist and gives them daily. Yes they are not always effective due to being the wrong strain used. (They guess every year which strain will be the worst one). But it's better to be safe than sorry. Why risk everyone around you with potential flu when you can prevent it. Even if you end up getting the flu after the shot you already we're sick . It can't give you the flu. Yes it's a live virus but such a small amount it can't get you sick. It's just enough that your body will actively fight that straine. If everyone would get the shot many elderly and children would be spared from potential death.

I always get one. I am a teacher, so I am around TONS of germs. My insurance pays for it, so why not.

I'm a teacher, this is the first year I got it. We also got our 1 year old son vaccinated. Hubby didn't get the shot this year and is currently sick with the flu. Thankfully, the tamiflu seems to be shortening his length of sickness!

Every year. My husband has asthma and other lung issues. If he gets the flu he's down and out for a month.

Everyone gets the shot, both of my kids have issues that prevent them from getting the mist.

Never have, never will. Husband gets one every year, and every year without fail, he's still gotten the flu!

The kids get them every year. DH doesn't because he won't ever go the doctor. I haven't gotten one in around 10 years. I used to get extremely sick from them and doctors finally suggested that I might have an allergy to something in them. Strangely, I went from getting sick several times each year to never getting more than a bad cold since I stopped getting the shot.

I got mine back in September or October I think. I am a healthy adult female with no issues with shots or anything that would prevent me from getting it, so I get it. No reason not to.

Yes. I have asthma, as does DS19----flu and asthma are a bad coombination.

I also volunteer with Girl Scouts. I feel it would be irresponsible of me to work with children without taking such a basic precaustion to prevent spreading disease among them.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter