Flu shot poll

Mickeymoosea

Earning My Ears
Hi y'all. We are heading to Orlando Disney for the middle of September. We don't usually get flu shots until DD's annual check up in November. Should we be getting it before the trip ? It seems too early but I have heard about circulating cases already. I have heard it's recommended to wait until the end of October so the protection lasts all season. Thoughts? Wwyd? My DD will be 4 in November. Thanks.

Thankful for this tip! I didn’t even think about it because I have a one-year-old and she was covered by my shot last season until she could get it at 6 mos in February. We are headed down in late September/early October and now I think I’m definitely going to request before we go.

I go to WDW almost every fall, and I do get a flu shot a few weeks ahead of my trip.

I would definitely discuss it with your pediatrician but i don’t think it’ll be an issue to get it ahead of time.

I would. It can’t hurt. I got mine today and will be getting DD’s as soon as her pediatricians office gets it in.

I would definitely discuss it with your pediatrician but i don’t think it’ll be an issue to get it ahead of time.

I suspect the previous shot will be good through September as well but checking to be sure is a good thing.
Both my paternal bio grandmother and great grandmother died w/i a week of each other during the 1918 influenza pandemic. They had immune compromised systems at the time so that might have been the key to their untimely demises.

I would. It can’t hurt. I got mine today and will be getting DD’s as soon as her pediatricians office gets it in.

Thanks. Do you know when the pediatrician get shipments? I don't think our pediatrician has it in yet. I'd rather not get shots for my little one anywhere else.

Thanks. Do you know when the pediatrician get shipments? I don't think our pediatrician has it in yet. I'd rather not get shots for my little one anywhere else.

It depends on the state you're in. In NH the state provides flu shots to the MD offices for children under 18, so the doctors office cannot offer them until the state makes them available.

I also agree to check with the pediatrician. DD's ped office rarely has supply by this time of year, and to be effective for mid-September I believe the shot would need to be administered within the next week or so. If the ped doesn't have it, but feels it would be necessary, s/he may be able to direct you to a location with supply on-hand.

Enjoy your vacation!

I would, but would only do it this early because of the trip. Otherwise, would do later in september/october/nov.

I can't really get one until my doctor's appointment unless I go to Rite Aid and pay for it. (And even then, they sometimes don't have them in stock.)

I usually don't get mine until my November appointment regardless.

Flu season is from October through May. For that reason we always get the shot in September or the first week of October. But that also means it is unlikely there would be a lot of flu virus circulating in mid-September when you are planning to travel. So I guess my answer is I don't think you necessarily need to get one for your trip, but I would certainly encourage you not to wait as late as November, by which time the flu season will already have been well underway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!