Flying to HH via Charleston

quentina

<font color=deeppink>The bridge has been built and
Has anyone done this? How far to the resort? We usually go into Savannah, however, it is running mucho bucks. Any other airports we could consider? We are coming from PA.

Kim

My understanding is that it is a 90 minute to two hour drive from Charleston to the resort.

Jacksonville FL (JAX) is exactly 2.5 hours from Hilton Head. You can sometimes get a great deal there on Southwest.

I live in Charleston, and frequently have to go to HH for work. It is about 2 hours to the resort from the airport. It's not a difficult drive. Be careful when driving on 17 South. It's a one lane road inhabited by semi's and bad drivers (all roads in SC are inhabited by bad drivers), so the state police has posted extra officers on the road, and they are nabbing speeders left and right.

Enjoy the Palmetto State!!!

I agree, rent a car and drive. I drove that route every weekend last summer and it's not bad at all, less than 2 hours. There are a couple of different routes you can take---if you have time, stop off and visit Beaufort on the way to the resort.

You can also check fares to Columbia, SC. It's also about a 2-hour drive, although not nearly as scenic as the one from Charleston. ;) However, if you can get a better fare, it might be worth it!

WDWNewbie said:
Jacksonville FL (JAX) is exactly 2.5 hours from Hilton Head. You can sometimes get a great deal there on Southwest.

Thanks for the suggestion! If we fly to Jacksonville, I just found out we save about $200 per person. How is the airport? Anything I should know about it? Is that 2 1/2 hours pretty much all the time or can you really run into traffic at different times?

Simba's Mom,

We never actually flew into JAX ourselves, but two years ago when we drove from HH to Orlando I made a note of the time it took from leaving the resort to when we drove thru Jacksonville and it was 2.5 hours. We only drove this route once, so I can't really comment on the traffic.

Actually JAX is pretty much exactly half-way between HH and WDW--so it would be a good place to fly in and out of if you ever wanted to combine both locations in one trip.

We would definitely consider JAX if we ever fly to HH--but for now we drive 17 to 18 hours....

Independent Air flies into Charleston, I don't know the rates for that airline. But if you really wanted to make a nice vacation, I would fly into Charleston. It's a beautiful city on it's own with pleny of things to do (including a Concierge Hotel, The Charleston Place, which is absolutely gorgeous and right downtown).

I'm not trying to be a travel agent, but flying into Columbia or Jacksonville may save you a little money, but they limit anything that you may do besides just the resort.

Bring your golf clubs.

Simba's Mom said:
Thanks for the suggestion! If we fly to Jacksonville, I just found out we save about $200 per person. How is the airport? Anything I should know about it? Is that 2 1/2 hours pretty much all the time or can you really run into traffic at different times?

(Former) Charlestonian here as well. Honestly, I think the drive from Jacksonville would be better than from Charleston. As someone said, from Charleston it is a dangerous, sometimes slow 2 lane road--although surrounded by some lovely swampy land areas (Lowcountry, as we're called.)

From Jacksonville north to HH, is basically no-man's land on a major interstate. There should not be traffic comcerns in that section of 95. It won't be an intersting drive, but for $200 per person, make the switch!

Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter