Flying visit - 1 night, no parks!! lol

cdsmiler81

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

We recently went to France on a family celebration related visit, and because we have to go so far south, we always need a one night stop over. Normally we stop near Rouen, but the new DLP B&B hotel had a very good offer (including breakfast!) when I was looking, so - with the change of route being the same overall in distance and time as our normal north to south/south to north route, we thought why not! It was always highly unlikely that we would be able to make the 25th Anniversary celebrations, so even though we couldn't make it into the parks, we thought this would be the next best thing!

So here's a brief (HA!!) overview of our less than 24 hour flying visit!

Hotel B&B
Lovely new hotel. Great smooth and quick checking in experience. You've given a passcode for your door rather than a key card (which was great as from our experiences there's ALWAYS a time when it doesn't work for one reason or another!! lol). I had tried prior to our visit to arrange for a cot in our room (youngest is 22 months). When I checked in I double checked that this had been done. It hadn't, but she didn't even hesitate. It wasn't a problem, called someone immediately to get one sorted for us. Even apologised that it might take 30 mins! Not a problem for us as we were going to simply drop off our stuff and head to the Village for dinner.

We were given a room for 5 rather than 4 (no extra cost - must have been just down to availability!) (double, bunk bed, and single bed) and although the room wasn't massive, the cot fit in with no problems. TV in the room (didn't use), hanging space, bathroom with adequate shower (shower head seemed to be a little low on the wall!! I only just fit under and I'm 5 foot 7.). Comfortable, clean, well maintained - well it is new!! No real complaints at all.

Because of the key code method rather than key card, check in automatically happens at 11am on your check out day! Nothing outstanding to pay, nothing to hand in. Simples.

Breakfast was fine! I had read SOMEWHERE that there were hot options - this was boiled eggs only!! lol The rest of the choices were all typical continental - perfectly good, and in fact hubby reckons the croissants were better than the ones we've had in the DLP hotels!

Shuttle Buses

We've been spoilt in recent years as we've been staying in DLP hotels and have almost exclusively walked to and from the parks each day. It's been a while since we used the shuttle buses. This one is shared between the B&B, Explorers, Kyria, Dream Castle and Magic Circus. I think as busier times they do separate ones for B&B & Explorers, with the others having their own shared bus. Getting the shuttle around 8pm on the Tuesday we didn't have any problems. Coming back at 11pm (just as park closed but before the crowds who were watching Illuminations had left the park!) it was a lot busier but fine. Explorers gets dropped off first, and although B&B is next door it's last on the list! lol A lady advised us that we could get off at Explorers and walk around to save time. We did that - the shuttle ended up turning up at B&B not long after we got there ourselves, but we had a pushchair to deal with too and a quick visit to the car in the car park. Oh, and they didn't open the barrier at Explorers for us to walk out, so we had to do some ducking under!! lol
Next morning, we got a bus around 10am I think. Was dreading it, but was ok. And being last picked up meant we didn't have long to travel before getting into the park. However, when we got the bus back at 3pm ish, it was a nightmare. Think they had just reduced to one bus doing the route (rather than 2 going around all hotels) - we had to wait half an hour before a bus turned up! Then it was mega busy dropping off ANY picking up. Decided to be dropped off at B&B this time - wish we hadn't and gotten off earlier - I nearly couldn't get off with the pushchair. Some people just wouldn't move, even with me asking them and eventually shouting 'PARDON' at them!! One ignorant man really, but it was still a bit scary with the crowds. If I had a choice I wouldn't use the shuttles again with a pushchair in tow. When the kids are older, no problem!

Restaurants

We chose the ParkSide Diner Buffet at Hotel New York for our evening meal. Didn't know if we'd be able to get in, hadn't booked, but there was no problem what so ever, and we were seated straight away. We've eaten here before and were very impressed. Quality of food was lovely again, amazing desserts, cute 'burger station', couldn't fault it. And ideal for a 22 month old to try bits, and for a 7 year old to feel in charge choosing what to eat! Daughter caught herself on a hot serving dish (her fault!) and within seconds one of the chefs was there checking she was ok, disappeared to the kitchen to get a bowl of iced water, which he then took to our table. Checked back on us 10 mins later to make she was ok. Lovely guy. Highly recommended restaurant!

Daughter (7 year old!) had free choice for lunch the next day - she chose Planet Hollywood (her favourite, my least! lol). Again, no booking needed. Starters of chicken crunch were fine but have gotten smaller and with less garnish that previous years. Daughter had children's meal chicken crunch and although she enjoyed it, it was completely different to the chicken crunches we had! Here's were battered, ours breaded and different flavouring! Weird! However, tried one of the noodle dishes for the first time as a main - very nice indeed! A surprise!

Disney Village

We're a bit fond of the Disney Village. All the shops were tidy, well stocked. CMs lovely as usual (daughter pin trades!) and went out of their way where possible. We spent too much (as usual!) and felt very weird not having the Annual Pass discount!! lol Lots of 25th Anniversary stuff around from what we saw.

Security efficient, non-threatening, and very welcome. Never an issue.

Smoking - interestingly the only time I really noticed it was outside the hotel waiting for the bus! Inconsiderate people there! Other than that, not really aware of it at all.

Snack shacks - or whatever they're called - I bought some churros not long after they opened. They were nice enough, but pretty sure they were from the day before and just heated up rather than fresh that day! Hubby and daughter had slushies which were lovely.

Although we missed going into the parks, it was nice to have a small Disney moment in our holiday! Helped that Daughter didn't have a clue before hand either! So she thought it was amazing!!! Ha!

Unlikely we'll do it again as our stop over - mainly because of that horrible bit of road South of Paris, near Evry!! Lol not fun! Not without a PROPER stay at DLP anyway! ;) That's my excuse anyway!

C x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter