Flying with a 1 year old

Jhondy

Mouseketeer
This is probably a dumb question but we are planning our first flight with a 1 year old child. We plan to fly southwest and plan to by our daughter her own seat. The main reason for buying her her own seat is my husband is 6’6 and he says he “has to” sit on the window seat and usually I’m squished in the middle cause he takes up some of my leg room. So, I can’t imagine sitting in a middle seat with a lap baby. I would feel bad for the person sitting on the aisle seat. So we want to get our daughter her own seat just so we have more room on the plane. So here is my question, if we buy her her own seat, do we have to bring a car seat with us for the plane or can she sit in the seats without a car seat? I don’t really want to drag a car seat around but I will if I have to.

thanks for the help!

You could try a CARES harness, it's usually cheaper than a car seat.

I wouldn't put a kid that young in an airplane seat without something else, she's probably too small to sit upright and not slide through the seatbelt.

She doesn't have to be in a car seat. Buuuut,

If she is in a car seat, she has to sit by the window. Otherwise it could potentially block or slow people down in the event of an emergency. I would highly suggest using a car seat on the plane with a one year old. We flew with my oldest at 13 months as a lap infant and it was not an enjoyable experience. I put my youngest in a car seat at 16 months and it was so much better. A pain to lug in the seat in the airport but well worth it. We also rented a car when we landed

If you do go with a car seat (or what ever you go with) make sure it is FAA compliant. If you go with a Cares Harness system (they are FAA compliant) you can rent one for your trip cheaper than buying one. If you google " Cares Harness rentals" you will find the info on where to rent from. Also I believe that the harness can be used at both the window and middle seat, no aisle seat.

Last edited:
This is probably a dumb question but we are planning our first flight with a 1 year old child. We plan to fly southwest and plan to by our daughter her own seat. The main reason for buying her her own seat is my husband is 6’6 and he says he “has to” sit on the window seat and usually I’m squished in the middle cause he takes up some of my leg room. So, I can’t imagine sitting in a middle seat with a lap baby. I would feel bad for the person sitting on the aisle seat. So we want to get our daughter her own seat just so we have more room on the plane. So here is my question, if we buy her her own seat, do we have to bring a car seat with us for the plane or can she sit in the seats without a car seat? I don’t really want to drag a car seat around but I will if I have to.

thanks for the help!
if your husband has to have window seat plan on him sitting in the row in front of your daughter as carseats have to go in window seat, not sure if that is true for cares harness. I would not use just a lapbelt with a one year old

thanks for the help!
She can just sit in the seat and/or your lap during the flight. For take off and landing it may be easier just to hold her.

If you decide not to use a carseat or a CARES harness (for your sanity I don't recommend this, but you have the right to forego it), understand that the FA's will most likely require you to hold her during takeoff and landing, and at any time that the FASTEN SEATBELT signs are illuminated. In the event of turbulence, a lap belt will not safely secure a child who weighs less than 40 lbs.

The PP is correct that if you do use a carseat or CARES harness, you will be required to place it in the window position, because Federal law requires that it not impede emergency egress from the row, not even if the person being impeded is the child's parent. (Also note that it cannot be placed in the rows directly in front of, or directly behind, the exit row.)

Here is the entire FAA circular on the subject https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac_120-87c.pdf
(Note that the FAA "approval sticker" does not actually mention the FAA. What it says (in RED lettering) is: This Restraint is Certified for Use in Motor Vehicles and Aircraft.

Also, a couple of specific things about SWA:

1) If your DH commonly gets seated in the exit row in order to get that extra legroom, be aware that he cannot sit there if an FA knows that he is part of your party. I'm sure that you already knew that your DD can't sit there, but SWA is, AFAIK, the only airline that enforces the FAA recommendation that you cannot sit there if you are traveling with a child, even if the child sits in another row. (This is because people seated in the exit row must agree to help in the event of an emergency evacuation, but airlines know from experience that parents are likely to abandon that role to take care of a child. An evacuation is very unlikely, of course, but the FAs still have to enforce the rule.)
2) If you are not installing a restraint, you should approach the gate agent and ask for a reserved card for your child's paid-for seat. Doing this will save you some hassle during boarding, because the FA's are trained to assume that a baby just sitting in a seat without a carseat is probably a free lap child, and that you are attempting to hold the seat open for her without paying for it. (Which is fine if the flight isn't full, but almost every flight to/from MCO these days IS full.) They will ask to see her boarding pass before they will believe that it's a paid seat. Getting a "RESERVED" card from the gate agent will make it completely clear that the seat is paid for, and you won't be bothered. (The FA will collect the card from you after all passengers are seated and the boarding door is closed.)

FWIW, there are backpack satchels that make it a lot easier to carry a carseat through an airport (and that protect the seat later when it is checked, after your child is big enough to get no benefit on the plane but still needs it at your destination.) You can also transport a seat by putting it into your stroller or upside down over a rolling bag and securing it with a couple of plastic-ended bungee cords. (Never check a stroller with your luggage; always gate-check it so that it will not get bent by ending up at the bottom of the baggage hold under thousands of pounds of suitcases.)

Here is a brilliant travel tip we swore by when our kids were that age: the "counting hands rule". This "rule" is designed to save your sanity, and applies to everything you will carry past the check-in counter. What you do is: count the number of adult hands you have in the party. Two fit adults = 4 hands, etc. Then count the carryon items you plan to take -- and count your children as "items" if they are too young to carry their own stuff, because you always need to keep at least one hand free per child. The number of "items" should never exceed the number of hands, except that each adult is also allowed to have a backpack. (Single-strap shoulder bags have to count toward the hands rule, though, because if you bend down, they tend to swing forward; I've seen a lot of toddlers knocked off their feet by a parent's carryon shoulder bag in an airport.) If your pile includes extra items, you need to plan to check them. Rolling bags count as a hand, too; pulling a rollaboard while pushing a stroller with the other hand is VERY awkward, and will drive you nuts. So, for example: if you have 2 adults and 1 young child, and a stroller, you can take 2 more carryon items. If 2 adults have 2 children and one stroller, one carryon item. If you have 1 adult and two children, plus a stroller, no carryon item, but the adult can use a backpack. Older kids who walk through the terminal have to be responsible for their own carryon items: Mama does not carry that teddy-bear for you, or that Elsa suitcase.

Oh, one other thing: when flying with a baby, always take (in a carryon, not a checked bag) at least 24 hours worth of whatever supplies you would need for her if you were stranded in the airport. Diapers, wipes, lovie toys, spare clothes, special foods, etc. The airlines will tell you to take enough for the duration of the flight, but ignore that; 24 hours worth is the minimum, because if you get delayed by weather, you could be stuck in the airport that long, and airports do not usually have any diapers or baby foods for sale. Also carry on ziploc bags and spare shirts for each adult, in case your child throws up all over you mid-flight. (Airsick bags don't work for small kids; they can't warn you. It is best not to feed a child dairy for at least 3 hours prior to a flight. Dairy does not cause airsickness, but it makes the mess and odor a lot nastier if airsickness happens.)

Last edited:
The PP is correct that if you do use a carseat or CARES harness, you will be required to place it in the window position, because Federal law requires that it not impede emergency egress from the row, not even if the person being impeded is the child's parent. (Also note that it cannot be placed in the rows directly in front of, or directly behind, the exit row.)

Here is the entire FAA circular on the subject https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac_120-87c.pdf
(Note that the FAA "approval sticker" does not actually mention the FAA. What it says (in RED lettering) is: This Restraint is Certified for Use in Motor Vehicles and Aircraft.

According to this CARES can be used in any seat as it does not block access like a car seat does. I have also see that info on other pages.
http://kidsflysafe.com/wp-content/uploads/Travels+With+Baby+Layout+12-08-24.pdf
Some labels do say FAA for CARES but car seats usually mentions "for use on aircraft"

cares-harness-faa-approved.jpg

I don’t have small children any more but I would never fly with a small child in a lap. I heard a flight attendant from the united flight that crashed in Sioux City in 1989 speak once and she actually went to congress to advocate for mandatory car seats for every child. she obviously was a survivor and recounts her memory of babies that died because they flew out of mother’s grip when the plane crashed. or anytime there is sudden turbulence. It was very powerful.

Thanks for all the replies. After reading everything and doing some research, we will either use a CARES harness or a car seat. Even though it’s unlikely the plane will crash or anything, in the event that it does, I don’t want the guilt of thinking my child was seriously injured or died cause I was too lazy to carry a car seat or buy a CARES harness. That would just be horrible.

As to my husband, he’s just going to have to be an adult and deal with whatever seat he has to sit in because of baby. Safety comes first. The website for CARES did say it can be placed in the middle seat. So, that’s probably the way we will go. And I found someone online selling the CARES harness for 30 dollars and since we have at least 3 flights coming up before she is 2, it seems like a good investment for her for now and for when she is even a bit older.

Thanks for all the replies. After reading everything and doing some research, we will either use a CARES harness or a car seat. Even though it’s unlikely the plane will crash or anything, in the event that it does, I don’t want the guilt of thinking my child was seriously injured or died cause I was too lazy to carry a car seat or buy a CARES harness. That would just be horrible.

As to my husband, he’s just going to have to be an adult and deal with whatever seat he has to sit in because of baby. Safety comes first. The website for CARES did say it can be placed in the middle seat. So, that’s probably the way we will go. And I found someone online selling the CARES harness for 30 dollars and since we have at least 3 flights coming up before she is 2, it seems like a good investment for her for now and for when she is even a bit older.

Just FYI, the most present danger is not a crash; it's turbulence. You know that old joke about thinking horses instead of zebras when you hear the sound of hoofbeats? A crash is a zebra, but severe turbulence is a horse. Fairly common.

Just FYI, the most present danger is not a crash; it's turbulence. You know that old joke about thinking horses instead of zebras when you hear the sound of hoofbeats? A crash is a zebra, but severe turbulence is a horse. Fairly common.

That makes sense. Regardless, I have purchased a CARE harness and it should be here next week...trip isn’t till October so I will definitely be ready for the flight by then...at least in regards to the harness lol.

@Jhondy As you are traveling with a small child you should get some sort of early boarding for people needing assistance. Some will board first class/and elite fliers and then do a boarding for those needing assistance. I believe Southwest allows families to board after group A. If unsure of when you can board ask at the check in desk.

So don't be afraid to take advantage of that as it should allow you to get the CARES harness set up before the person sitting behind you get's on. By getting it this early you will be able to get used it to and although not the same as an airline seat maybe even trying to hook it up to a chair at home to give you an idea of how it goes.

Ik southwest generally allows family boarding after group A but I think I will pay for early bird check in just to make sure we are near the front for boarding. Ik sometimes coming back from Orlando there are lots of families and I don’t want to be in a position that my husband and I are not both sitting next to our daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter