Flying with Cooler

Candlelady

A dream is a wish your heart makes
Am flying( terrified:eek: ) and wondering if anyone has had problems with bringing your own cooler? Would it be easier just to buy a styrofoam cooler when we get there?

Thanks

When we were in WDW in March we bought a cooler at wal-mart. Not a styrofoam one but a nice hard sided one. It was only $14.00. I thought for that price I could just leave it when we go home.

Well it turned out we had enough left over dry goods and prizes we bought that we packed it full, tied a strap around it. When we got to the airport we taped it closed and checked it as baggage - no problem.

I have a nice collapsible cooler that I bought at either KMart or Walmart. It folds into the size of a large purse, we just fold it and carry it as our personal item or pack it in our luggage. It does a wonderful job of keeping things cold, doesn't leak, and is easy to clean. I dry it out with towels at the end of the trip, fold it, pack it in the luggage, and then just open it and let it dry out thoroughly when we get home.

I believe I paid $20-25 for it, and it has more than recouped it's cost.

Thanks for the replies!

I do have a nice cooler that looks almost like a piece of luggage with a hard plastic insert. Not sure if I want to lug it to the airport or not. We plan to get to WDW by towncar, so I need to decide if I should bring it or do a grocery stop and pick up a cheap one I can dispose of. Decisions, decisions.:D

We flew a few years ago and were staying at DXL without a fridge. We bought a very nice/durable styrofoam cooler at the SuperWalmart on 192 for about $3. It was a very nice size and worked great.

Ice and/or dry ice in checked bags is forbidden, so most airlines will insist that the agent look inside of the cooler before they will accept it as a checked bag. They have tape at the counter, and will tape it for you after they have looked inside.

Keep in mind the cooler will count towards your luggage allotment. Airlines are getting strict on this so if you are at the limit, leave the cooler!

It sounds to me that it would be a heck of alot easier if you forgot about the cooler, and just bought things as you went. You are on vacation, live it up a little. If saving an extra $50 is that important well then I dont know what to say. :o :o

I disagree. Cosmic Charlie. In many instances it has nothing at all to do with saving money. There is the matter of CONVENIENCE!! We will be bringing or purchasing a cooler as well. I have a baby who is still drinking from a bottle, and a toddler who prefers peanutbutter and jelly over anything else. The rented fridge is not very large and a cooler suits us better. Having a gallon of milk on hand at 1 a.m. to make a quick bottle sure is terrific. And certainly whipping up a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich whenever my 4-year old craves a snack, or giving him a cup of juice when he wants one, is a lot easier to do when these items are in your room -- in a cooler -- and not a building or two away at a food court or snack stand.

I think everyone has had good suggestions. Since we don't already own a hard-sided cooler, and I'm not sure we'll be able to find the packable one, we will probably pick up the styrofoam-style at the grocery store when we arrive.

(Edited for spelling.)

We flew with a hard sided cooler, well taped before we got to the airport. The agent did ask what was in it but when I explained that it was dry goods and toiletries, he took my word for it.

It is SO convenient to have milk and snacks in the hotel room for young children. The fact that it is a money saver is an added bonus.

Peggy

Whether someone is looking to save money using a cooler is not any of my business. While it can be a cost savings, I agree with the previous post concerning convenience. That is what we have always used coolers for, whether driving and bringing one from home or flying and picking one up at the SuperWalmart.

When we have stayed in the moderates in the past, something that is a case of money/principle to us is being charged $10 a day for a minifridge that over 10 nights is almost double what is cost Disney to purchase the darn thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter