Food delivery tipping

DopeyDame

DIS Veteran
I'm afraid to post a tipping thread here on the dis, but I want some anonymous opinions.

We're getting a food delivery that will cost ~$750. It's pure fast food delivery - think like pizza. No set up or individual servings or anything like that.
What's an appropriate tip?

10% is fine. 15% if you are feeling generous. How many people will it take to deliver the food? And are they bringing it in and setting it up or just handing it to you at the door?

10% is fine. 15% if you are feeling generous. How many people will it take to deliver the food? And are they bringing it in and setting it up or just handing it to you at the door?

Just handing it at the door - not set up or anything.
I'm assuming just one person will deliver, but maybe two.

I agree. That’s gotta be like 75 pizzas. That’s not just “bringing a few pizzas” to the door. Tipping $20-$30 would be like 3%. That’s rude IMO.

I think tipping is out of control and this is one of those instances IMO. If we’re tipping $75 i would go pick it up and they can tip me the $75. Lol

Even if it took 30 minutes to bring all those boxes inside (but I’m thinking closer to ten minutes), $30 is $60 an hour. Most people don’t make $60 an hour.

I think $30 is more than generous.

I think tipping is out of control and this is one of those instances IMO. If we’re tipping $75 i would go pick it up and they can tip me the $75. Lol

Even if it took 30 minutes to bring all those boxes inside (but I’m thinking closer to ten minutes), $30 is $60 an hour. Most people don’t make $60 an hour.

I think $30 is more than generous.
But the person is NOT picking it up. That’s the point. You’re asking them to deliver 75 pizzas or more. They get paid minimum wage or less. They won’t make $60/hr on average that day b/c that’s not the norm. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “tipping is out of control”.

To the door alone alone be 20 dollars per delivery person for me. I'd think of it the same way as if a large piece of furniture was being delivered.

But the person is NOT picking it up. That’s the point. You’re asking them to deliver 75 pizzas or more. They get paid minimum wage or less. They won’t make $60/hr on average that day b/c that’s not the norm. I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “tipping is out of control”.

My opinion is that Tipping is out of control as a whole. Tipping jars at pizza places and things like that. Not necessarily this instance but tipping $75 for a few minutes of work is out of control to me. It’s annoying (all of the tipping jars) and I’m actually a good tipper but i refuse to go overboard with it.

20% normally, but during the holidays, I tip around 25%. (I know people who used to work the food service industry.... So I like to be generous!)

20% normally, but during the holidays, I tip around 25%. (I know people who used to work the food service industry.... So I like to be generous!)
I grew up in the food service industry and am a generous tipper. This is not food service, this is a delivery. They’re dropping off a bunch of pizzas not setting it all up and serving people. 10-25% ($75-$200) is ridiculous for what they’re doing.

My personal range would be $20-$50 depending on how many people were actually making the delivery.

I wish people would understand that almost the same amount of work goes into carry out/delivery orders as it does for eat-in service. They still have to take the order, process the payment, cook the food, box the food, package up napkins, utensils, condiments, pour out little cups of dressing, get the drinks together and then, in the case of delivery, drive it to your house. And it's all expected to be completed in a shorter timeframe than you'd have for an in-house customer. I'm sure it's different for delivery-only businesses, but when I worked in restaurants the carry out orders were hugely disruptive to my ability to take care of my seated customers. Then to have the carry out customer leave no tip because I "didn't have to do any work" was obnoxious.

I wish people would understand that almost the same amount of work goes into carry out/delivery orders as it does for eat-in service. They still have to take the order, process the payment, cook the food, box the food, package up napkins, utensils, condiments, pour out little cups of dressing, get the drinks together and then, in the case of delivery, drive it to your house. And it's all expected to be completed in a shorter timeframe than you'd have for an in-house customer. I'm sure it's different for delivery-only businesses, but when I worked in restaurants the carry out orders were hugely disruptive to my ability to take care of my seated customers. Then to have the carry out customer leave no tip because I "didn't have to do any work" was obnoxious.

Do the pizza delivery guys split their tips with the people at the pizza place? Does the delivery guy do all of the above (take order, cook food, box food, etc)?? I know around here most don't. They run in, pick up food and run back out.

I always tip for carry out from a restaurant which I rarely ever do but when I do I tip 15%.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter