Food delivery tipping

Wait, of course you tip a percentage at the salon. I mean, DH tips $5 on his $15 haircut, but ds14 tips $3 on his $12 haircut. I tip $40 on $200 cut and highlights. Sure, a few bucks to the valet, $2 per bag for the bellhop, but a pedicure? Massage? Usually 20%
You must have missed my earlier comment. I didn't say I didn't tip period I said I didn't tip a percentage in those cases. Please see my prior comment.

This is also the same as how I tip the person who cuts my hair. If the hair cut costs $14 I don't tip $2.10 because that equates to 15% of the bill. Instead I usually tip $4-$5 depending on the experience. Again I'm not thinking in terms of percentage.

I don't tip the valet driver just over $0.13 for a $2.00 valet charge as that represents 15% of the valet charge. I tip $2-$3 for a valet charge that low. Again not thinking in percentages.

So on the haircut I'm in line with what your family does. And on valet I'm not meaning bell hop services where they get your bag. I'm talking about valet parking.

You must have missed my earlier comment. I didn't say I didn't tip period I said I didn't tip a percentage in those cases. Please see my prior comment.

So on the haircut I'm in line with what your family does. And on valet I'm not meaning bell hop services where they get your bag. I'm talking about valet parking.
So if you had salon services over $100, what would you tip? I think bellhop and valet, it’s a flat fee, where servers and salon employees it’s based on price.

The OP stated that she was pretty sure the restaurant was carry out/ delivery only, not tables, so no one at that restaurant is make $2.13/hr.
An employer can legally apply the tip credit to any employee who has regular interactions with customers so anyone working the counter, answering the phone, or delivering the food may be earning less than minimum wage.

So if you had salon services over $100, what would you tip? I think bellhop and valet, it’s a flat fee, where servers and salon employees it’s based on price.
Never had salon services anywhere near that price but it would depend on the services provided. Things that take hours and hours to do are different--I'm thinking back to when perms were in lol

My hair takes about 5-8 mins MAX to do and the 8mins is if the stylist is feeling extra chatty. All I get done is a simple cut no highlights no layering nothing too complex. Sometimes I'll have 6+inches cut off but it's still nothing fancy.

So for me it would really depend on what that $100 comprises of. If I had to guess I would probably say in the range of $30-$40. I mean if we're talking something that needs to hold they may have issues with my hair as it's fine and thin and thus doesn't hold style. If we're talking coloring I have no idea I'm not in the market of coloring my hair period until I get grey hair (I love my hair color) and as of yet I'm not interested in doing layers so I don't know if my fine and thin hair would create more work for the stylist to put in layers.

IF you're looking at it purely from a percentage standpoint my $4 tip on a $14 haircut=nearly a 30% tip and a $5 tip on a $14 haircut=just over a 35% tip. I just don't look at it from a percentage standpoint in these cases. When I'm eating at a restaurant I do tip based off percentages. The only difference is if I'm at the bar and I'm not ordering food. I don't tip 15% off of a $3 bar tab or 15% off a $6 bar tab. I usually tip $5 for a $3 bar tab or $10 or so for a $6 bar tab (just for example) especially if what I'm ordering is on a special.

Never had salon services anywhere near that price but it would depend on the services provided. Things that take hours and hours to do are different--I'm thinking back to when perms were in lol

My hair takes about 5-8 mins MAX to do and the 8mins is if the stylist is feeling extra chatty. All I get done is a simple cut no highlights no layering nothing too complex. Sometimes I'll have 6+inches cut off but it's still nothing fancy.

So for me it would really depend on what that $100 comprises of. If I had to guess I would probably say in the range of $30-$40. I mean if we're talking something that needs to hold they may have issues with my hair as it's fine and thin and thus doesn't hold style. If we're talking coloring I have no idea I'm not in the market of coloring my hair period until I get grey hair (I love my hair color) and as of yet I'm not interested in doing layers so I don't know if my fine and thin hair would create more work for the stylist to put in layers.

IF you're looking at it purely from a percentage standpoint my $4 tip on a $14 haircut=nearly a 30% tip and a $5 tip on a $14 haircut=just over a 35% tip. I just don't look at it from a percentage standpoint in these cases. When I'm eating at a restaurant I do tip based off percentages. The only difference is if I'm at the bar and I'm not ordering food. I don't tip 15% off of a $3 bar tab or 15% off a $6 bar tab. I usually tip $5 for a $3 bar tab or $10 or so for a $6 bar tab (just for example) especially if what I'm ordering is on a special.
My point is, certain tipping norms are percentages, servers, salon workers, cab drivers, while others are more flat rate. I get it that your salon costs are low, so YOU don’t think of it as a percentage, but in reality, it is. You were responding to a PP that things like hair services are not based on cost, that’s just not true, the tip is absolutely based on price.

My point is, certain tipping norms are percentages, servers, salon workers, cab drivers, while others are more flat rate. I get it that your salon costs are low, so YOU don’t think of it as a percentage, but in reality, it is. You were responding to a PP that things like hair services are not based on cost, that’s just not true, the tip is absolutely based on price.
You asked a question I answered..so I guess you weren't really interested in my answer?

I didn't say that hair services aren't based on cost. Not at all. Can you go back and re-read my comment? If things are based purely on cost then I shouldn't be tipping $4-$5 on a haircut as that's way over tipping for the cost of the service. That's just not how I think. Sorry I'm not going to say "well it only cost $14 therefore I only owe you just a hair (no pun intented) over $2". I mean did you expect me to tip $20 off of a $100 salon service simply because that equates to 20% which is what your $40 amount you tipped off of your $200 salon trip? I guess if we were to look at it I would tip more than you do when it comes to hair styling.

Wow - thanks everyone! I think this is the longest thread I've ever started :rotfl2:

To answer some questions (just because), the restaurant is mostly delivery/carry out. they have a few tables, but you still order at the counter and get the food the same way. There's no one you would tip if you ate there or if you did carry out - not even a tip jar next to the cash register.

Yes, it's winter where I live.

To be more specific on the food, it's 32 pounds of deli meat and a bunch of quarts of accompanying sides and accompanying breads. They are also including paper plates and plastic wear. They'll be handing the stuff off to me at the main door of our business. It is being ordered in advance. Actually ordered it today for next Wednesday, which is what prompted the post. The place does have a specific catering menu, and we ordered off that menu.

$20.

My son works part time at a restaurant as a driver delivering large orders like the OP (lots of office buildings), and tips are absolutely involved. He gets paid minimum wage and uses his own vehicle and gas.

I'm curious, does the restaurant charge a delivery charge with the order? I have often wondered when they do if the driver ever sees any of that money, say for gas?

Might I add that a large sausage and cheese pizza would really make my day about right now!!!

Wait, of course you tip a percentage at the salon. I mean, DH tips $5 on his $15 haircut, but ds14 tips $3 on his $12 haircut. I tip $40 on $200 cut and highlights. Sure, a few bucks to the valet, $2 per bag for the bellhop, but a pedicure? Massage? Usually 20%
Yes. Agreed. Here 15-20% is proper etiquette for salon services. Is that not the case in some places??

Count me in with the :scared1: “$100+ bucks for 10 minutes work - heck NO” crowd. This delivery would be worth a $20 tip IMO. I’d imagine if this particular restaurant has a catering menu and routinely does large orders, the delivery driver would not be expecting a tip anywhere near 10/15/20%.

Food delivery might be a little different here than other places. All the big pizza chains hire contract delivery drivers that are paid flat-rates per delivery and have absolutely NO part in preparing or packing the orders. There are also several services now that are sort of like Uber for food - you order from any restaurant through their app and a fleet of random drivers is standing by to pick it up and bring it to you. Again, they do nothing but put it in the car and bring it to your door. My DS does this casually for extra income - the system is almost 100% electronic pay so while he makes a flat-rate per delivery, very, very few people have a cash tip waiting for him at the door. He’s fine with it.

You don't typically tip your hair dresser a percentage of the bill, you don't typically tip your valet driver a percentage of the valet charge, I wouldn't be tipping $1 for my Jimmy Johns delivery which would represent 15% of my order instead I would be tipping them more.

This is what you wrote.

You don't typically tip your hair dresser a percentage of the bill, you don't typically tip your valet driver a percentage of the valet charge, I wouldn't be tipping $1 for my Jimmy Johns delivery which would represent 15% of my order instead I would be tipping them more.

This is what you wrote.
You keep ignoring my previous comment and are taking one out of context. Please see this previously made comment unless I needed to reinterate my exact wording every time I was responding to the previous poster I was conversing with.

"This is also the same as how I tip the person who cuts my hair. If the hair cut costs $14 I don't tip $2.10 because that equates to 15% of the bill. Instead I usually tip $4-$5 depending on the experience. Again I'm not thinking in terms of percentage. I don't tip the valet driver just over $0.13 for a $2.00 valet charge as that represents 15% of the valet charge. I tip $2-$3 for a valet charge that low.Again not thinking in percentages."

My goodness your own husband doesn't tip 20% of his hair cut nor does your son. They tip a flat dollar amount.

When I said "You don't typicallly tip your hair dresser a percentage of the bill". I wasn't saying I don't tip which was evident from my previous post. Same for valet parking. I was saying I don't take a calculator out and figure out what 15% or 20% of my bill would be and tip her/him that. I tip them in whole dollar amounts that are actually higher than what you tip and higher than a 20% tip. I don't know why that's so hard to understand or get.

And FWIW my mom has acrylic nails and does not do 20% when she get's them filled--she does not figure that out. She in fact tips whole dollars and more than what 20% would end up being. Same when she gets a pedicure. She does not figure out what 20% is--she tips whole dollars that end up being more than 20%. When she gets her hair cut and colored or with highlights she also doesn't tip 20%--she tips whole dollars that end up being more than 20%. I grew up getting my hair cut every 5 to 6 weeks for at least 17 years. It was a local woman who did her hair in her house. We did not tip her 20% nor figure that out. We always tipped whole dollars and well above 20% (usually it was a tip of 50%-60%). My best friend who gets her nails done every 3 to 4 weeks also does not tip 20% but in fact does whole dollars which always equates to more than 20%. I should also mention my husband tips whole dollars as well and his hair cuts are more expensive than mine since he gets a different level that comes with massaging, etc and he def tips whole dollars that equate to well more than 20%.

Why are we arguing over this-it's very silly to tell someone who is actually overtipping their way is wrong. Perhaps you should consider upping your tipping standards rather than advising me my way as well as those around me are wrong.

I don't tip percentages at salons. I tip based on time.

My nail salon charges $13 for a refill. I always tip $5. I couldn't imagine tipping $2.60. Same with my pedicure.

At the hair salon it depends on what she does and how long it takes. I did a touch up last week on my roots. It's always a much cheaper service than a full color but takes the same amount of time as a full color. $70 but I tipped $20.

Right, which is why the kitchen staff is not generally part of the tip pool.

That doesn't quite line up with what you said earlier on when you quoted something you found online about all of the kitchen staff duties the delivery driver purported to perform and you said was therefore deserving of a tip. When I questioned how a dine in customer should intuit that a tip should include an amount sufficient for several back of house employees you said that customers simply didn't realize that was already happening with their tips. Your comments seem to be taking slices from both ends of the loaf.

You keep ignoring my previous comment and are taking one out of context. Please see this previously made comment unless I needed to reinterate my exact wording every time I was responding to the previous poster I was conversing with.

"This is also the same as how I tip the person who cuts my hair. If the hair cut costs $14 I don't tip $2.10 because that equates to 15% of the bill. Instead I usually tip $4-$5 depending on the experience. Again I'm not thinking in terms of percentage. I don't tip the valet driver just over $0.13 for a $2.00 valet charge as that represents 15% of the valet charge. I tip $2-$3 for a valet charge that low.Again not thinking in percentages."

My goodness your own husband doesn't tip 20% of his hair cut nor does your son. They tip a flat dollar amount.

When I said "You don't typicallly tip your hair dresser a percentage of the bill". I wasn't saying I don't tip which was evident from my previous post. Same for valet parking. I was saying I don't take a calculator out and figure out what 15% or 20% of my bill would be and tip her/him that. I tip them in whole dollar amounts that are actually higher than what you tip and higher than a 20% tip. I don't know why that's so hard to understand or get.

And FWIW my mom has acrylic nails and does not do 20% when she get's them filled--she does not figure that out. She in fact tips whole dollars and more than what 20% would end up being. Same when she gets a pedicure. She does not figure out what 20% is--she tips whole dollars that end up being more than 20%. When she gets her hair cut and colored or with highlights she also doesn't tip 20%--she tips whole dollars that end up being more than 20%. I grew up getting my hair cut every 5 to 6 weeks for at least 17 years. It was a local woman who did her hair in her house. We did not tip her 20% nor figure that out. We always tipped whole dollars and well above 20% (usually it was a tip of 50%-60%). My best friend who gets her nails done every 3 to 4 weeks also does not tip 20% but in fact does whole dollars which always equates to more than 20%. I should also mention my husband tips whole dollars as well and his hair cuts are more expensive than mine since he gets a different level that comes with massaging, etc and he def tips whole dollars that equate to well more than 20%.

Why are we arguing over this-it's very silly to tell someone who is actually overtipping their way is wrong. Perhaps you should consider upping your tipping standards rather than advising me my way as well as those around me are wrong.
If you had said “I don’t tip on percentages of the cost for salon services,” that would be fine, but when you say “you don’t tip on percentages of the cost for salon services,” you are stating that’s not proper. The majority of people DO tip on percentages, just do a google search. You want to overtip, knock yourself out. I agree, when the price for services is low ($10 manicure, $8 lunch special), the percentage should be more than 20%. I’ve seen many online discussions where some people think it’s crazy to tip 20% on an expensive salon service.

Delivery drivers are paid at least minimum wage. I don't care what other duties they perform while being paid that hourly wage. I tip a few bucks or more depending on the amount of food ordered but in most cases no where near 20% of the bill.

Wait staff gets a 20% tip because their minimum wage is over $5 less than standard minimum wage. Tips are accounted by the IRS to be part of their minimum wage - if for some reason tips don't bring them to the standard minimum wage during a shift, their employer is to pay them the difference (not that that ever happens, lol). Wait staff also checks back with you, refills your drinks, etc., etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter