"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Well we have 31 more days until our drive. I lost track of what number this one is. We've done it at least 6x. We started doing the drive with one stop over night, but now go straight through.
We are being slammed with the noreaster right now. 14 in. outside now. :mad: No school again tomorrow. Can't wait to get to sunny warm Florida!! Wish I could just retire now.

I heard the report today that Disney is considering charging resort guests for parking at the resorts. Really hoping they don't do this. It would really hurt those of us that drive rather than fly in order to save money.

We've driven 2,308 miles three times, and our 4th trip will be this July. Our first trip was by airplane, and our second was by train. We prefer the freedom that driving allows us. We do it in two days.

We are making the drive again in two weeks. I'm not sure what number this is for us either, but I'd say right around 6 times at least? It is about 1800 miles for us RT, so we don't quite meet the 2K mile round trip minimum here!

I think for the drive down we're going to try to leave in the afternoon on a Wednesday. This should get us through most of the I95 Northern VA traffic pretty easily. I detest Northern VA traffic! The plan is to drive as far as possible, hoping for a stop around Walterboro for the evening. We'll be up early the next morning and on the road to WDW to hopefully arrive in early afternoon.

While there are 4 drivers in the car with us, it will probably mostly be my DH and myself making the drive. I don't want to put my 18yo son behind the wheel for too long or my 76 year old FIL even though both would drive.

Coming home on Easter day and we plan to leave late morning or no later than noon and drive straight through since we are coming home. It's okay to arrive at 3am at home.

Just completed our third ["two-hour round trip"] since December. The big talk today was the proposed daily parking charges at all WDW hotels! (Regular MK parking is $22.) Also, the construction continues at the MK entrance.

Heading back to the GFR in three weeks.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Do any of you do the drive from Phoenix? Thinking about our next trip after this one maybe driving to see what’s between here and there. Unless there isn’t anything particularly worth seeing, because it’s definitely more expensive to drive for us.
We drive from Arkansas via New Orleans (because we have a home there) so we travel the I10 path you would most likely take.

You’ve got Houston, Lafayette, New Orleans, the Gulf Coast (Biloxi Gulfport), Mobile and Pensacola so lots to see.

We particularly like Mobile - great seafood. Bellingrath Gardens just outside of Mobile is amazing.

There’s so much to see in New Orleans- way more than the French Quarter stuff. A great zoo, aquarium, and insectarium that kids love. Plus the World War II Museum is truly first class.

The recent, terrible Florida bridge collapse brings attention to the relatively new pedestrian bridges at Disney Springs. Those formidable structures took a long time to build and appear to be sound for both folks who walk on them and drivers who pass below them.

All the best :thumbsup2

Leaving Friday afternoon from Chicago. Taking the 57 route (we went to school in Champaign, so that just a normal drive for us). Hoping to be on the road by 245 (as soon as the kids walk in the door from school). I would like to make it to Bowling Green before stopping for the night. The up and out by 7am. Driven at least 10 times, but not for over a year. I think finally getting back to the mouse will keep me going.

Just back on Monday from another 2000+ drive. 95 north on Sunday was horrific into NC. The only reason we could see was the amazing amount of motorcycles coming back from Daytona, and the increased shopping at the Tanger Outlets for Easter finery. Every Tanger exit on 95 was down to 15 mph and backed up for miles. We added at least 3 hours onto our drive from WDW to Lumberton, took us 11 hours. We should have been in Rocky Mount in 9 1/2.

We drove down 81-77 and I think we're going to do that every trip, although there doesn't seem to be any alternative to 95 in SC, Georgia and Florida that doesn't add many hours.

There seems to be more instances of "problems" on our last few drives, than smooth sailing as it used to be. We looked at trains, but the price is incredibly high, essentially almost the same as flying.

Just back on Monday from another 2000+ drive. 95 north on Sunday was horrific into NC. The only reason we could see was the amazing amount of motorcycles coming back from Daytona, and the increased shopping at the Tanger Outlets for Easter finery. Every Tanger exit on 95 was down to 15 mph and backed up for miles. We added at least 3 hours onto our drive from WDW to Lumberton, took us 11 hours. We should have been in Rocky Mount in 9 1/2.

We drove down 81-77 and I think we're going to do that every trip, although there doesn't seem to be any alternative to 95 in SC, Georgia and Florida that doesn't add many hours.

There seems to be more instances of "problems" on our last few drives, than smooth sailing as it used to be. We looked at trains, but the price is incredibly high, essentially almost the same as flying.

Oh wow...that doesn't sound good. Yes the train prices really are crazy high too. We are attempting our drive next week and an Easter Sunday return, hoping the traffic will be better on Easter Sunday than on Monday.

We've driven 2,308 miles three times, and our 4th trip will be this July. Our first trip was by airplane, and our second was by train. We prefer the freedom that driving allows us. We do it in two days.
I believe our 4th trip will be in July as well! Definitely enjoy driving as opposed to flying.

We head out two weeks from Saturday for our 2nd trip driving. Not driving the entire way down, driving from south eastern MA to Lorton VA and hopping on the auto train on the 14th and getting off in Sanford the next morning. We’ve never done the auto train so it should be an experience. We are driving the whole way home with a stop in Destin FL on the way home for a couple of nights.

Quick question. We may drive back from WDW mid-week in August. We will be coming home Rte 95 north to NJ. We would like to leave around 3pm for our first day drive but wondering how bad driving at rush hour will be. Any experiences leaving Disney at this time and traveling 95-North? Thanks for any help.

Hi. I don't think you will have much, if any of an issue until Jacksonville. Just take the 295 around the city to make it easier. It may be busy, but less stress vs. the Jacksonville wacky races. If you want to avoid Orlando, you can use 417. If you choose that, just don't use your GPS/Google Maps/Waze until you get near Sanford or it will constantly tell you to exit to get back to I-4. Tolls would be about $7.00. We love that road, never use I-4.

In general, you won't have any "rush hour" issues until Richmond, Dc, Baltimore, Wilmington, etc.

We did the 417 once and the I-4 back in February and there is a ton of construction, lots of fender benders because suddenly the lanes shift and not everyone notices, and bam you are in the lane beside you and someone gets hit. Personally, it's worth the $$ to take the 417 around, and agree with the 295 around Jacksonville.

We did the 417 once and the I-4 back in February and there is a ton of construction, lots of fender benders because suddenly the lanes shift and not everyone notices, and bam you are in the lane beside you and someone gets hit. Personally, it's worth the $$ to take the 417 around, and agree with the 295 around Jacksonville.
417 is really great.

Does our e-z pass from NJ work down in Florida? Thought I read something about it working all the way south now.

Howdy! Just back after a one-nighter at the GFR via 429 and the FL TPK. Construction at the World Drive MK entrance continues, and the curvy detour road to the MK resorts remains a challenge for first timers.

All the best! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts