"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Yes. I planned on arriving in DC around 9:30/10. Maybe leaving at 5:30 would be the better option. I would like us to be all in one room since its my parents and my kids. But if we have to get two rooms I guess we will. Suite hotels are a good idea and I will check out the I 95 exit information. Thank you very much.

10-10:30 should be fine for DC.
We have done that drive a few times from NY. Leave around 5-5:30. We would stop at the 1st exit in MD and have breakfast at Cracker Barrel. By the time we are done rush hour is done for both Baltimore and DC. We take the East loop around DC and have never hit traffic at that time (may have been closer to 11:00). Once you get south of DC however all bets are off. Northern VA can be a problem especially once the express and local lanes merge.

Hi! Question about EZ Pass, I don’t have it but am thinking of getting it for our drive down and back in November. I went on their website and it is super confusing! Standard option, DRPA option, etc.:confused3 How does it work? I can get this at Walmart?? What is the total price? Thanks!

I'm not sure what state you're in, but in PA we can buy them at Walmart (and several other locations -- but Walmart is the most convenient). I know in NY they can be bought at Wegmans (among other locations). I would think other states sell them in various stores/locations as well. I bought ours a few years ago, so I'm not sure if the price is still the same but we paid $41 per transponder. $35 of that goes on your account for tolls; $3 is the yearly service fee; and $3 was a "convenience" fee. Once we purchased it I had 72 hours to register it online. After it's registered you're good to go and they will just charge your credit card $35 (to refill your account) whenever the transponder has less than a certain amount of money left in the account (I think once it gets below $10).

I remember looking at the website when we were first buying ours and thinking "this is way too complicated". Then we noticed they sold them at Walmart so we just went there to buy them and it was easy-peasy.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what state you're in, but in PA we can buy them at Walmart (and several other locations -- but Walmart is the most convenient). I know in NY they can be bought at Wegmans (among other locations). I would think other states sell them in various stores/locations as well. I bought ours a few years ago, so I'm not sure if the price is still the same but we paid $41 per transponder. $35 of that goes on your account for tolls; $3 is the yearly service fee; and $3 was a "convenience" fee. Once we purchased it I had 72 hours to register it online. After it's registered you're good to go and they will just charge your credit card $35 (to refill your account) whenever the transponder has less than a certain amount of money left in the account (I think once it gets below $10).

I remember looking at the website when we were first buying ours and thinking "this is way too complicated". Then we noticed they sold them at Walmart so we just went there to buy them and it was easy-peasy.
I am in NJ! I will have to look at my Walmart to see if they have it. Where would it be? I don’t even know where to look! Lol! Is this something I can cancel after using it for our trip? It would rarely get used. Thanks!

I am in NJ! I will have to look at my Walmart to see if they have it. Where would it be? I don’t even know where to look! Lol! Is this something I can cancel after using it for our trip? It would rarely get used. Thanks!

A quick perusal of the NJ E-ZPass website and it seems that you would need to apply online.
For NJ there appears to be 2 or 3 customer service centers (Newark, Camden, Bloomfield toll plaza) where you could walk in.
Nothing on there websites indicate that they can be purchased in stores.
E-ZPass is only available in Walmart in PA.

If you buy the PA pass you would not get the benefit of discounted tolls in NJ.

A quick perusal of the NJ E-ZPass website and it seems that you would need to apply online.
For NJ there appears to be 2 or 3 customer service centers (Newark, Camden, Bloomfield toll plaza) where you could walk in.
Nothing on there websites indicate that they can be purchased in stores.
E-ZPass is only available in Walmart in PA.

If you buy the PA pass you would not get the benefit of discounted tolls in NJ.
Thank you for the clarification!! I am nearby Camden, I will have to either call or stop there to ask my questions! Thanks!

Hi! Question about EZ Pass, I don’t have it but am thinking of getting it for our drive down and back in November. I went on their website and it is super confusing! Standard option, DRPA option, etc.:confused3 How does it work? I can get this at Walmart?? What is the total price? Thanks!

I don't think NJ ever had EZPass tags available in stores. When I got my tag (about 15 or so years ago) I seem to remember in addition to the 3 customer service centers, that tags were being sold at the Cheesequake service center on the Parkway, but the EZPass site doesn't mention that anymore.

As far as the discount plans go, you can check out what's available from NJ EZPass on this page: https://www.ezpassnj.com/en/about/plans.shtml

Unless you are a carpooler or frequently travel on the specific roads or bridges mentioned in the individual programs, you won't need anything more than the Standard Plan, which you get just for singing up with EZPass.

I don't think NJ ever had EZPass tags available in stores. When I got my tag (about 15 or so years ago) I seem to remember in addition to the 3 customer service centers, that tags were being sold at the Cheesequake service center on the Parkway, but the EZPass site doesn't mention that anymore.

As far as the discount plans go, you can check out what's available from NJ EZPass on this page: https://www.ezpassnj.com/en/about/plans.shtml

Unless you are a carpooler or frequently travel on the specific roads or bridges mentioned in the individual programs, you won't need anything more than the Standard Plan, which you get just for singing up with EZPass.
Thanks so much! When on the website they have all these plans listed and I was just overwhelmed by it all! Lol! Wasn’t sure what I needed! So the standard plan will get me from NJ to Florida and back again? $25 is cheaper than paying the tolls back and forth? Thanks!

Thanks so much! When on the website they have all these plans listed and I was just overwhelmed by it all! Lol! Wasn’t sure what I needed! So the standard plan will get me from NJ to Florida and back again? $25 is cheaper than paying the tolls back and forth? Thanks!

Well, the standard plan IS paying the tolls back and forth. You get to use the signed EZPass lanes to pay your tolls. For NJ EZPass, the standard plan just means no discounts other than the EZPass discounted rates on the Turnpike and Parkway (and possibly the AC expressway) as opposed to the cash rates. Also, NJ charges $1 per month for their transponder, and if you have your statement mailed (as opposed to email) or if you have your statement emailed monthly (as opposed to bi-monthly), there are additional charges. Your transponder will work anywhere you see the purple EZPass signs (in any of the 16 states that have EZPass).

(ETA: I talked about the monthly charges, but realize that one of the big advantages of EZPass is that you will save a LOAD of time going through the tolls. Cash tolls take a lot longer to go through.)

If you are travelling I95, you will encounter tolls on the NJ Turnpike, the Delaware Memorial Bridge, in Newark, DE, The JFK Parkway through Delaware and northern Maryland, and whichever tunnel you take in Baltimore. There are also EZPass express lanes at various points along the way down, including the DC Beltway, and just south of that.

Well, the standard plan IS paying the tolls back and forth. You get to use the signed EZPass lanes to pay your tolls. For NJ EZPass, the standard plan just means no discounts other than the EZPass discounted rates on the Turnpike and Parkway (and possibly the AC expressway) as opposed to the cash rates. Also, NJ charges $1 per month for their transponder, and if you have your statement mailed (as opposed to email) or if you have your statement emailed monthly (as opposed to bi-monthly), there are additional charges. Your transponder will work anywhere you see the purple EZPass signs (in any of the 16 states that have EZPass).

(ETA: I talked about the monthly charges, but realize that one of the big advantages of EZPass is that you will save a LOAD of time going through the tolls. Cash tolls take a lot longer to go through.)

If you are travelling I95, you will encounter tolls on the NJ Turnpike, the Delaware Memorial Bridge, in Newark, DE, The JFK Parkway through Delaware and northern Maryland, and whichever tunnel you take in Baltimore. There are also EZPass express lanes at various points along the way down, including the DC Beltway, and just south of that.
Thank you so much for all your help! I really appreciate it!!!

Wow. I had no idea that EZ Pass is different in each state. In PA, we pay $3/year for the transponder with no other fees. I do agree that it's worth having EZ Pass for the trip to FL just for the convenience of being able to go through the EZ Pass lanes at the tolls -- no lines, no waiting. And having the opportunity to jump in the EZ Pass Express lanes if traffic is backed up on the highway is also nice benefit (though can be costly).

We use the PA Turnpike frequently so it's worth it to us to have it all of the time (in fact, we currently have 3 transponders for 5 vehicles). And PA is going to switch to all EZ pass and license recognition toll booths in the next year or two so they're almost forcing frequent turnpike users to get EZ Pass. Some of the toll booths at the end of the Northeast Extension of the Turnpike have already changed over and the rate is much cheaper if you have EZ Pass as opposed to having them snap a picture of your license plate and send you a bill.

Hi! I am driving down from south Jersey shore Monday. I am looking on recommendations on where to stay along 95. I have no idea how long we’re going to make it. Hopefully at least South Carolina. It depends on how the kids do in the car. We are a group of three adults and three kids (8,7,4) Any recommendations on where to stay that won’t break the bank for six people.
We drive to Santee SC for our overnight stop and we live just south of Albany NY.. the Bestwestern in Santee is where haved stayed 7 yrs in a row ..love it.. restaurant on site is awesome .. only 5 1/2 to 6 hrs to Disney

Also somebody just told me about the hotels tonight app. Has anyone ever used it?
I used Hotel Tonight for the first time a few months ago to get a hotel in Ocean City, MD, and it worked out perfectly for us for a one-night stay. This was also the first time I've ever booked a room without going directly through a hotel website or front desk. I'm probably going to use it again in a few weeks. (You can also book stays in advance, but the rates are the same as the hotels' rates, so I don't see why I would use the app instead of the hotel itself.)

Another shooting at an Orlando gas station. Remember, long distance drivers: get gas before you get on I-4, and fill up during the daytime.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Last night (8/21), lightning stuck a Deltona gas station and left a crater! Another reason not to stop at at I-4 gas station.

Next news item to be aware of: on tonight's (Aug. 22) Orlando TV news, a weather map indicated certain cloud formations which were organizing off the Atlantic coast of Africa that had a 20% chance of forming into something over the next five days. Stay tuned.

What are you hearing BC ? The weather service I follow is now saying it shouldn't amount to much that's its moving to fast. I can do without another 1100 mile to beat a hurricane. Lol

What are you hearing BC ? The weather service I follow is now saying it shouldn't amount to much that's its moving to fast. I can do without another 1100 mile to beat a hurricane. Lol

Surprisingly, the local Orlando CBS and ABC stations at noon said nothing about the Atlantic; all non-Florida weather reports focused on Hawaii.

We'll check tonight's TV weather report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!