"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

After 46 round-trip NJ-WDW drives, the founder of this thread became ineligible to participate on it upon moving to Florida one year ago today, Dec. 1.

Headin' back to WDW on Thursday (our 25th visit in 2018), a 60-mile drive. :drive:

All the best! :thumbsup2
Have a blast! While you're there can you talk to Mickey about the hotel parking fees? :hyper2: - wink wink-

Best hotel near Fayetteville, NC? Not too expensive, but don’t want a dump either! Lol! Thanks!

We left Michigan yesterday, checked in to AKL today. Have a beautiful savanah view two bedroom.

Very uneventful drive. No traffic to speak of until just south of Atlanta. Jumped in the express lane and cruised right through it. Spent last night at a residence inn at Gainesville(nice hotel, inexpensive). Made it to Disney around 11:00, room was ready.

We had a great lunch at Sanaa and spent the rest of the day at the pool.

Heading to Publix for groceries now, and then a quiet night In watching a movie.

2 adults, 5 kids in a Chrysler Pacifica, 1105 miles @ 27.3 mpg. This is drive #6 for use this year.

Update on our drive back home to NJ: Our drive down was smooth and uneventful. Our drive home has been the opposite! We left Disney later than we wanted, I guess it was about 12:30pm Saturday. About an hr into our drive my 8yr old daughter was having some car sickness, which she rarely gets (she was fine the whole way down) so I had to stop off I-4 at a Target to get some Dramamine. Another hr or so into the drive and my 6 yr old son said he had to go potty. We stopped off of I-95 at a Wendy’s so he could go, as we walked in he vomited all over! :crazy2: Once back on the road we had to stop a few more times because he had to get sick again. Our goal was to get to Fayetteville, NC which would be about halfway for us, but at this point we weren’t even out of Florida yet! So we kept going as long as we could and then we just felt so bad for him and knew he needed to get some rest. So we stopped at a (very expensive) Holiday Inn in Brunswick, GA for the night. Fast forward to today, Sunday, we left around 9:30am. My son was feeling better, my daughter had her Dramamine, however, we were driving in pouring rain from GA till about halfway into SC, so that slowed us down a bit. Then at the end of NC they were doing roadwork and the right lane was closed, so we sat in traffic for at least 20mins. There was more traffic ahead in VA, so we took the 295 roundabout to avoid that. We are currently in VA, probably about 3 hrs from home. Let’s hope the rest of the way is uneventful!!

Update on our drive back home to NJ: Our drive down was smooth and uneventful. Our drive home has been the opposite! We left Disney later than we wanted, I guess it was about 12:30pm Saturday. About an hr into our drive my 8yr old daughter was having some car sickness, which she rarely gets (she was fine the whole way down) so I had to stop off I-4 at a Target to get some Dramamine. Another hr or so into the drive and my 6 yr old son said he had to go potty. We stopped off of I-95 at a Wendy’s so he could go, as we walked in he vomited all over! :crazy2: Once back on the road we had to stop a few more times because he had to get sick again. Our goal was to get to Fayetteville, NC which would be about halfway for us, but at this point we weren’t even out of Florida yet! So we kept going as long as we could and then we just felt so bad for him and knew he needed to get some rest. So we stopped at a (very expensive) Holiday Inn in Brunswick, GA for the night. Fast forward to today, Sunday, we left around 9:30am. My son was feeling better, my daughter had her Dramamine, however, we were driving in pouring rain from GA till about halfway into SC, so that slowed us down a bit. Then at the end of NC they were doing roadwork and the right lane was closed, so we sat in traffic for at least 20mins. There was more traffic ahead in VA, so we took the 295 roundabout to avoid that. We are currently in VA, probably about 3 hrs from home. Let’s hope the rest of the way is uneventful!!
Hope you don't think run into anymore problems.

We drove back yesterday as well up the i75 to kitchener ontario. Poured rain all the way from Atlanta to Detroit. Heavy down pours at times with little visibility. Did all the driving myself for the first time as my wife wasn’t feeling well. Made it door to door in 21 hours including all stops!

We drove back yesterday as well up the i75 to kitchener ontario. Poured rain all the way from Atlanta to Detroit. Heavy down pours at times with little visibility. Did all the driving myself for the first time as my wife wasn’t feeling well. Made it door to door in 21 hours including all stops!

Wow! That is quite the drive! Glad you made it.

We left Michigan yesterday, checked in to AKL today. Have a beautiful savanah view two bedroom.

Very uneventful drive. No traffic to speak of until just south of Atlanta. Jumped in the express lane and cruised right through it. Spent last night at a residence inn at Gainesville(nice hotel, inexpensive). Made it to Disney around 11:00, room was ready.

We had a great lunch at Sanaa and spent the rest of the day at the pool.

Heading to Publix for groceries now, and then a quiet night In watching a movie.

2 adults, 5 kids in a Chrysler Pacifica, 1105 miles @ 27.3 mpg. This is drive #6 for use this year.

Have great time and a great trip back!

Eleven years ago today on Dec. 6, 2007, the "For 2,000+ Mile Round Trip Drivers Only!" thread made its debut!

This thread caters to those who drive long distances to WDW, and provides an opportunity for those behind the wheel to share information. To date: over 1,460,000 views and over 16,5000 replies!

Here's an updated look at page one of this thread:

Part IV of this thread opened on June 10, 2013 and closed on November 16, 2014 after 201 pages, 3,013 replies and 279,444 views.

Part III of this thread opened on October 12, 2011 and closed on June 10, 2013 after 197 pages, 2,950 replies and 296,721 views.

Part II of this thread opened on July 12, 2010 and closed on October 12, 2011 after 256 pages, 3,843 replies and 331,176 views.

Part I of this thread debuted on December 6, 2007 and closed on July 14, 2010 after 251 pages, 3,755 replies and 320,188 views.

All-Time "For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" Records (updated 12/6/18)

Most Total Drives: 67 (since 1973): dvczerfs (as a driver/passenger)

Most 21st century drives: 46 (2002-present) bc1836 (solo driver)

Most Drives in One Decade/10-Year Period: 27 (2003-2012): bc1836; (2007-2014): cruisingkat

Most Drives in One Calendar Year: 5 (2012): cruisingkat and LBHouse (2018);
(four drives in one calendar year: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011): bc1836

Most Drives in One 12-Month Period: 5 (12/08-12/09; 2012): cruisingkat; (12/09-12/10): bc1836

Most "Non-Stop" Drives: 15 (1992-2014): DSLRuser
13 (2008-2012): bc1836

Shortest Time Between Drives: 19 days (2009): cruisingkat

Most passengers in one vehicle: 12 (2000: Dodge 3500 Ram van): chepic
10 (2010: 2 adults, 8 kids; 1999 Chevy Express Van): birdslightyear (aka just*the*ten*of*us)

Longest Drive (one way): 2,070 miles (2013): Shir Khan (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)

Second Longest Drive (one way): 1,953 miles (2011): peigirl (Stratford, Prince Edward Island, Canada)

Driven to/from WDW every month of the year: bc1836 (finally achieved 2/2015)

What is your status level as a 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Driver?

5 drives to WDW: "Bronze"
10 drives to WDW: "Silver"
15 drives to WDW: "Gold"
20 drives to WDW: "Platinum"
25 drives to WDW: "Diamond"

Drives above those levels are categorized in multiples. For example, someone who makes 40 drives is "double Platinum;" 50 drives: "double-Diamond."

Remember: These status levels are just meaningless fun, but if you are seeking a long-range driver status, we've got one for ya!

Need some advice for driving from Eastern PA on the evening of 12/21. We can take a few routes. Planning to leave around 7pm, driving straight through (have 4 drivers in car).

1) We can take PA extension turnpike south to catch blue route to I-95, then take 95 down to Florida. Drawback is traffic and potential accidents, especially with it being the Friday before Christmas;

2) Route we will probably take, I-78 west, I-81S to 15 south, to 270, catch the lower quadrant of washington beltway then I-95s from there. Anticipate hitting beltway around 10:30pm. Hopeful that I-95 s traffic will begin to ease up a bit.

3) To avoid DC traffic and the bottlenecks that always seem to happen on I-95S, we can take I-78 west, I-81S, to 66 East, then 17 South, picking up I-95S in Fredericksburg. This takes a bit more time and I'd like to avoid, if possible.

4) Finally, we can do the I-78, I-81S, I-76, 26 to I95 route, but typically don't like to take that route when driving through the night. Also, with potential winter weather, would prefer to stay closer to coast with I95.

Any thoughts about what route may be better or what kind of traffic volume we can expect to see?

Oh, once we are in Florida, we'll take I-4 and we'll either take 46 to 429 or 417 to avoid the I-4 construction.

Thanks!

Need some advice for driving from Eastern PA on the evening of 12/21. We can take a few routes. Planning to leave around 7pm, driving straight through (have 4 drivers in car).

1) We can take PA extension turnpike south to catch blue route to I-95, then take 95 down to Florida. Drawback is traffic and potential accidents, especially with it being the Friday before Christmas;

2) Route we will probably take, I-78 west, I-81S to 15 south, to 270, catch the lower quadrant of washington beltway then I-95s from there. Anticipate hitting beltway around 10:30pm. Hopeful that I-95 s traffic will begin to ease up a bit.

3) To avoid DC traffic and the bottlenecks that always seem to happen on I-95S, we can take I-78 west, I-81S, to 66 East, then 17 South, picking up I-95S in Fredericksburg. This takes a bit more time and I'd like to avoid, if possible.

4) Finally, we can do the I-78, I-81S, I-76, 26 to I95 route, but typically don't like to take that route when driving through the night. Also, with potential winter weather, would prefer to stay closer to coast with I95.

Any thoughts about what route may be better or what kind of traffic volume we can expect to see?

Oh, once we are in Florida, we'll take I-4 and we'll either take 46 to 429 or 417 to avoid the I-4 construction.

Thanks!
I (just my experience and opinion). I live five minutes north of I78, near the NJ,PA line.
As you said, I78/I81/I77/I26 in the winter, can get sporty up in the mountains. I drive down in late February and I watch the weather like a hawk up there. Any chance of bad weather I stay away.
Rt22/N.E extension, I95 I wouldn't go anywhere near it.
The other way I go is I78/I81/I66/rt17/I95, just north of Richmond. I would recommend I17 area at night. (After8pm) and you should be good rt17 and getting past Richmond.
I keep my eye on the weather either way I go. A few times, I made several reservations along my route in case weather would be a problem, I had a place to stay. Travel with a shovel, blankets,food,water. I also carry a carbon monoxide detector. Don't leave it in your car, the extream heat and cold could ruin the sensor.
I have one that is used in RVs, they will take a little more than a household detector will.
We sleep in our van with the van running in the summer for a/c. We have a new van but better safe than dead.
I have found, where I live, despite google maps, it is almost the exact mileage going 81/77/26 as it is going 78/NE Ext. /I95. 81/77/26 I can do almost two hours faster then heading down I95.
I can leave my house in Nazareth and arrive at the Boardwalk in 15 hours if I had too. Lol
Again, I hit Jax and Orlando in the wee hours on a Saturday morning so I hit no traffic, at all.
Good luck.

I (just my experience and opinion). I live five minutes north of I78, near the NJ,PA line.
As you said, I78/I81/I77/I26 in the winter, can get sporty up in the mountains. I drive down in late February and I watch the weather like a hawk up there. Any chance of bad weather I stay away.
Rt22/N.E extension, I95 I wouldn't go anywhere near it.
The other way I go is I78/I81/I66/rt17/I95, just north of Richmond. I would recommend I17 area at night. (After8pm) and you should be good rt17 and getting past Richmond.
I keep my eye on the weather either way I go. A few times, I made several reservations along my route in case weather would be a problem, I had a place to stay. Travel with a shovel, blankets,food,water. I also carry a carbon monoxide detector. Don't leave it in your car, the extream heat and cold could ruin the sensor.
I have one that is used in RVs, they will take a little more than a household detector will.
We sleep in our van with the van running in the summer for a/c. We have a new van but better safe than dead.
I have found, where I live, despite google maps, it is almost the exact mileage going 81/77/26 as it is going 78/NE Ext. /I95. 81/77/26 I can do almost two hours faster then heading down I95.
I can leave my house in Nazareth and arrive at the Boardwalk in 15 hours if I had too. Lol
Again, I hit Jax and Orlando in the wee hours on a Saturday morning so I hit no traffic, at all.
Good luck.

Thank you for your reply, dvczerfs! I'm in the Lehigh Valley as well. What time do you start your drives to WDW?

Thank you for your reply, dvczerfs! I'm in the Lehigh Valley as well. What time do you start your drives to WDW?
As long as I81/I77 is not calling for bad weather, which the last I seen, they could be getting 12-18 inches this weekend.
But, if all is clear, I leave here around 9-10am. Don't hit Charlotte at rush hour, there is construction. It's median and shoulder but it can slow up. At those times, we will would roll into the Florida welcome center around 10-11pm.
We have a van with a double bed, tv etc. in the back so we usually will take a nap in the van till about 3-4am.
At that time there is no traffic at all in Jax or Orlando. I don't do the bypass, I stay on I4.
We pull into the Boardwalk or Polynesian 5:30,6 am.
For the most part, the hardest part of the trip is getting from home to rt100.lol
Bad weather in the mountains, leave no later than 10am. That will get you through Richmond before rush hour.
I have a time/mileage chart from point to point in the van. I can take a picture and post it here for you.
I usually outrun that chart anymore but it will give you a good idea.

Last Wednesday I had to take my wife to Wills Eye at 8th and Walnut in Philadelphia. I say it every time I make that trip, I would rather drive to Florida ten times,round trip instead of dealing with the northeast extension and the surekill. I95 isn't any better.
We leave Nazareth at 4am and there is still a lot of traffic on the extension.

Last Wednesday I had to take my wife to Wills Eye at 8th and Walnut in Philadelphia. I say it every time I make that trip, I would rather drive to Florida ten times,round trip instead of dealing with the northeast extension and the surekill. I95 isn't any better.
We leave Nazareth at 4am and there is still a lot of traffic on the extension.

LOL...have been stuck in traffic many times on the blue route and schuylkill. When we leave for the beach at 2-3am in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday, it's a breeze! But that's about the only exception. :-)

We live on the western side of the valley near 100, but understand what you mean about trying to cross the valley!

We’ll be making the drive this Friday from west central Ohio. This is probably our tenth drive over the last ten years. We take I-75 all the way to the Florida turnpike. Looks like rain all day for our drive, but at least it’s not snow and ice!

Last year we stopped for gas at a Kroger in Tennessee and they were allowing more than $1 off/gallon with fuel points so we were able to get a full tank of gas for under $10! Anyone know if they still do that? I’ve got 3,000 fuel points, so with current prices I’d try to get $2 off/gallon.

Just made it back to Michigan, drive #6 for 2018!

We left Nov 29, spent a week at Animal Kingdom lodge (Jambo) one night at boardwalk and three at Disney’s Hilton Head.

Was a fantastic trip. Found gas in SC for $1.93. So cheap. Total gas cost was $162. Over 2200 miles.

A bit of a break before we head back, February 22nd. Can’t wait!

Just made it back to Michigan, drive #6 for 2018!

We left Nov 29, spent a week at Animal Kingdom lodge (Jambo) one night at boardwalk and three at Disney’s Hilton Head.

Was a fantastic trip. Found gas in SC for $1.93. So cheap. Total gas cost was $162. Over 2200 miles.

A bit of a break before we head back, February 22nd. Can’t wait!

All-Time Records on page 1 have been updated to include your new record!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter