$$$ for Car rental

NorthernON_MOM

DIS Lover
When all is said and done, how much do you figure you pay for a week car rental? DH wants to rent a car (I've already booked a tiffany towncar) but could cancel if we change our minds. I just think it is a big hassel since we are staying on site, but dh still want to rent. Anyway, back to my original question. How much? thanks.

I see you're leaving on March 18, so I made a few assumptions:

- 1 week rental, picking up and returning at MCO
- no additional coverages (CDW, SLI, etc.)

From the Alamo web site, I was quoted:

- US$191.19 for a 4-door Cavalier
- US$223.94 for a 4-door Grand Am
- US$404.02 for a Camaro Convertible (hey, it's a vacation :p )

These prices include taxes, but nothing else. Most of the agencies in the Orlando area seem to be competitive, but for specific deals and discount codes check out Mary Waring's site at www.mousesavers.com.

Personally, we always rent a car and use it to travel to every park except MK. We are DVC owners at OKW and find the car to be much more convenient than the WDW buses. Not that the buses are bad, but the car *IS* more convenient - especially if you want to go offsite.

- Mike

We have an SUV bokked through Budget for $208(taxes incl.) for 8 days. Personally I would not go without the convience of a car.

What about Collision Damage Waiver and other costs? Or do you just get basic? also, is that US or Cdn. pricing? thanks:confused:

My price was US funds. I use my gold visa for the reservation because they have insurance coverage.

We've never rented, but we never leave WDW property. We find the buses very convenient and would not use a car for most things even if we had one there. Of course, if you plan on going off site, or have lots of meals planned at different resorts the car would be nice.

Tricia's right. If you are *ONLY* going to the parks or DTD from your resort, you can make great use of WDW transportation. If, however, you plan on going to other resorts to eat or visit offsite (USF, KSFC, grocery store, whatever) you most definitely need a car, or at the very least factor in costs for taxis.

As Sherry said, if you have a gold credit card, they will very often pick up the CDW fees on the vehicle (presently running around US$20/day). If you want to take out the supplemental liability (in case you hit someone and are sued) it typically runs US$12/day. Many people have SLI coverage through their own auto policy, others don't. Some of those who do have the coverage like to take out the SLI regardless so that if they are in an accident then their own policy won't take a premium hit at the next renewal.

- Mike

I just book the SUV from Budget. 129US (weekly rate)for 6 days+tax/surcharge = 167.08USD
TT

We have flown a few times and found that we only ever used the car we rented to go off site other than that it stayed parkef and didn't get used. When we dirve down the same thing happens it ust stays in the parking lot at the resort. We prefer to use the Disney transportation to get to and from the parks and resorts it is all really conveniant for both uses. We just hop a bus to DTD and get the resort bus we need and you are there.

a Mini Van from Avis ( great customer service no huge line ups). I believe we ended up paying 400 (US) or so.

That was a 8 seat Chevy Venture for 1 week, addtional Liability insurance and a tank of gas.

Nancy

We have one 1.5 years old boy. Do you think that we should rent a car to carry stroller, back pack, and so on and sometimes we can go out buying some food fofr them or the transportation there will be good enough for us? ::MickeyMo

Originally posted by DSNY FN
We prefer to use the Disney transportation to get to and from the parks and resorts it is all really conveniant for both uses. We just hop a bus to DTD and get the resort bus we need and you are there.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Darren on this one (although his experience may be different from ours and others). Depending on where you are and where you're going, if you're travelling from one resort to another and transferring either at DTD or the TTC you could spend over an hour getting from point A to B. Personally, when I'm on vacation I'd rather drive and get there quicker than waste a lot of time on the "convenience" of the WDW buses. Travelling between parks or from parks to resorts is one thing - but moving between resorts is quite another.

- Mike

Like everything else in the this ole world, it's our differences that make it wonderful! I'm with Mike in that we drive ourselves everywhere at WDW-except Magic Kingdom. Made that mistake once, never again. And as for the parking, my kids really think that the tram ride is their first of the trip! :p

Another fan of driving myself. I have seen some of the lines of people waiting for a resort bus and love to be able to leave on my own schedule. Also you were thinking of a side trip to Universal so a car would be needed for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter