For people who've requested first floor at OKW

If you've requested first floor or elevator building at OKW, have you always gotten it?

• Always gotten first floor

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • At least once I've gotten upper floor, but moved to first floor immediately

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • At least once I've gotten upper floor and not moved

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
It is illegal for anyone to ask for "papers" in the US - it is the ADA. A Handicap tag is strictly for parking. Many disabled people have "invisible" issues like MS or Lupus and it is up to you to share information with DVC or not. I explain my limitations because I choose to. If your daughter needs a first floor, call DVC and request it. They have always accommodated me. A HA villa with a roll in shower, on the other hand, has to be reserved when you make your reservation. Just a note, I always bring a suction cup grab bar for the shower if I can not get a HA - not the best, but much safer than nothing. Best of luck!
Thanks. Ya, anybody looking at her would not see that her spine is almost completely made up of steel, at age 23.

I just wanted to make people aware that there are third floor rooms. The first time I stayed at OKW was a third floor 2 bedroom (no elevator). It’s a long way up and down, especially with luggage. I’m fairly able bodied (but not a youngster...), I can handle second floor but third is a bit much.

We were on the 3rd floor (1 bedroom) for the Princess Half this year. Not a fun climb up or down!!

And, shockingly, my aunt, who has always been the reason I request (and get) the 1st floor when she stays with us at OKW, visited me and my cousin, and was able to make it up and down with little issue. Go auntie!

I don't want to book HA just so that I can get first floor-I really don't need a HA villa, and would prefer to leave them for those who need HA accommodations. To me, it's kind of like the person in the HA stall in the rest room who isn't Handicapped, but feels they need the extra room.
I tend to agree, even though Mom used a manual wheelchair around the resort and in the parks, we never specifically reserved HA, we were occasionally assigned HA, which was OK, but always were able to get first floor.

We requested ground floor at OKW recently and got 3rd floor in #18. Beautiful room and view but pretty impossible with giant stroller. We had to wait a day and they moved us to a ground floor room. I was told specifically to book HA next time. Now, I won’t do that because it’s not necessary but, found it odd to be instructed to do so by the front desk.

We always request top floor, and my son in law happily carries, not one, but two double strollers up the stairs. 🥰🥰🥰

I was told specifically to book HA next time. Now, I won’t do that because it’s not necessary but, found it odd to be instructed to do so by the front desk.

Yes, that IS odd. If everyone who needs first floor because they have bad knees, use an ECV, etc, IMO it would put a strain on the # of HA villas available and I'd be concerned about availability for someone who truly needs the HA villa.

Yes, that IS odd. If everyone who needs first floor because they have bad knees, use an ECV, etc, IMO it would put a strain on the # of HA villas available and I'd be concerned about availability for someone who truly needs the HA villa.
I agree. We have been trying to book a 2BR HA villa for 2 months for August and are unable to get it. 2Br are available but not HA. We have got away with him using a shower chair they bring to us but we can not risk them putting us on the second/3rd floor unless it was a building with elevator. I really hope people are not abusing this and booking HA villas just to be on bottom floor.

I agree. We have been trying to book a 2BR HA villa for 2 months for August and are unable to get it. 2Br are available but not HA. We have got away with him using a shower chair they bring to us but we can not risk them putting us on the second/3rd floor unless it was a building with elevator. I really hope people are not abusing this and booking HA villas just to be on bottom floor.

You're the perfect example! I pray you get what you want/need soon. Can you at least be put on the waitlist now for a HA villa, then cancel if it doesn't come through at around 31-32 days?

Also, to chime in, we have stayed 5-6 times and have always requested upper floors and have always gotten that.

Sending you pixie dust! pixiedust:
We LOVE OKW!

Would OKW happen to have a higher ownership of older adults verses the other resorts by chance? Made me wonder. Because everyone of course is getting older by the day and could that make the first floor rooms and the HA buildings become more in demand in the years to come?

Would Disney ever consider putting elevators in a few more of the buildings?

Would Disney ever consider putting elevators in a few more of the buildings?

Unless they plan to tear down the resort after contracts expire, and rebuild, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't slowly been adding elevators to the buildings, maybe one or two per year, to meet ADA requirements for the future. If they intend to keep the resort intact, and sell it as new after current contracts expire, in the long run it would be cheaper for them to do it like that than wait until 2050 and do it all at once. The problem may be with the two story GVs, there maybe no easy way to add elevators to them, perhaps making a tear down necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter