For the love of Pete...there is a difference between a conversation and a profile post!

Neesy228

DIS Veteran
Could someone please, please, please clarify for the DIS community that there is a huge difference between PM's/conversations and profile posts?

Every time I log onto the boards from my laptop I see the New Profile Posts window on the right side of my screen -- and it's showing all sorts of private information that I am positive people do not intend to be public domain (i.e. names, ages, cruise cabin numbers, email addresses etc.) This window is not visible on my mobile devices, so I'm questioning whether some members even realize their error.

When the new boards first opened there were banner announcements running across the top of the forum pages. Maybe someone can do something similar? It seems unfair to continue to allow people to post this information in a public forum.

Thanks

Could someone please, please, please clarify for the DIS community that there is a huge difference between PM's/conversations and profile posts?

Every time I log onto the boards from my laptop I see the New Profile Posts window on the right side of my screen -- and it's showing all sorts of private information that I am positive people do not intend to be public domain (i.e. names, ages, cruise cabin numbers, email addresses etc.) This window is not visible on my mobile devices, so I'm questioning whether some members even realize their error.

When the new boards first opened there were banner announcements running across the top of the forum pages. Maybe someone can do something similar? It seems unfair to continue to allow people to post this information in a public forum.

Thanks

Totally agree with this.

I really think some people think they are talking only to the person they clicked on to respond to. But, even I, tech-challenged that I am, have figured it out.

Thanks for the likes and the reply. I have even tried to contact Corey (thru a "conversation", not a profile post! :rolleyes2) and didn't hear a reply. I guess I should just let it go...but I do feel badly for everyone who is posting their private information without realizing what they're doing.

I did edit out the phone number someone had posted. I'm checking now for any confidential type information, but might miss it. Please pm, errr send me a conversation note if you see something that needs to be deleted. :)

I did edit out the phone number someone had posted. I'm checking now for any confidential type information, but might miss it. Please pm, errr send me a conversation note if you see something that needs to be deleted. :)

I'm not sure what you would determine "confidential information". I think posting children's names/ages/likes could be an issue. Also room numbers onboard the ship? Maybe even e-mail addresses?

There are a lot of people who do profile posts to get their information to the person they think is handling their FE information. I have a question - do you need to have 10 posts to start a conversation? Many of those people looking for FE help are first time posters and don't have that number, if so, and that's causing the problem.

... I have a question - do you need to have 10 posts to start a conversation? Many of those people looking for FE help are first time posters and don't have that number, if so, and that's causing the problem.

Yes, they do need to have 10 posts to start a conversation, which I believe was also a rule previously with PMs. They can reply if someone else starts the conversation. It's possible new posters used profile posts previously as well, but it just wasn't as obvious because one had to actually click to the user's profile to see it before.

@PrincessShmoo I wouldn't consider posting children's names/ages to be an issue unless they also include the last name. There have been a lot of Fish Extender exchanges on the boards that have that information, so if they're on the boards, then I wouldn't worry about the profile post. The information I deleted was someone's phone number. I edited it out. Room numbers on the ship - we've been putting that in threads since I've been going on cruises with fellow DISers, including the one last December. A lot of us had posted our room numbers on the boards.

@PrincessShmoo I wouldn't consider posting children's names/ages to be an issue unless they also include the last name. There have been a lot of Fish Extender exchanges on the boards that have that information, so if they're on the boards, then I wouldn't worry about the profile post. The information I deleted was someone's phone number. I edited it out. Room numbers on the ship - we've been putting that in threads since I've been going on cruises with fellow DISers, including the one last December. A lot of us had posted our room numbers on the boards.

Okey-dokey! :goodvibes I'm just leery of putting too much information out where any number of people could use it that really have no need to have that info.

Thanks for your reply. :) I think my problem with it is that I don't believe many people are aware that they are putting everything out there for public consumption. Many things are obviously directed to the person they are replying to. So, while it may not be an issue for you (or even some/many posters) it MAY be an issue for others - and those people aren't being informed of the error they are making.

I am still seeing info that shouldn't be public being shared on profile posts. I think a forum announcement would be a good idea.

I am still seeing info that shouldn't be public being shared on profile posts. I think a forum announcement would be a good idea.

I definitely agree. Right now there are two profile posts with phone numbers and email addresses visible on the main page. I have seen a couple of warnings on profile posts by lanejudy letting people know that they are public - but they're only notifying that one (maybe two) person involved in the posting, not the community at large.

Last edited:
I agree, some sort of Banner announcement would be a good idea. However, there's no guarantee that will stop people. It's like folks who post personal stuff on Public Facebook posts. They don't care if the whole world can see it. We just never really saw what folks were posting on profiles before, because there wasn't a public ticker. I bet it's been going on for ages.

Sayhello

I agree, some sort of Banner announcement would be a good idea. However, there's no guarantee that will stop people. It's like folks who post personal stuff on Public Facebook posts. They don't care if the whole world can see it. We just never really saw what folks were posting on profiles before, because there wasn't a public ticker. I bet it's been going on for ages.

Sayhello

But that's the point. Even though it was still available for anyone to see on the old profile posts, you had to take that extra step to see them. I think people are posting that info still thinking it's still a somewhat "secure" area and not realizing that it's going to show up on the public ticker.

Personally, I wouldn't post that kind of information (young kid's names & ages & likes) on a public ticker, but, as you say, others don't worry/think about it.

I'm seeing a lot of personal conversations in that box and it's freaking me out! I don't understand why it's even a feature? It seems very strange.

For example... right now at the top of my list is a private conversation between two members who are arranging a rental of DVC points. This could really be disastrous.

But that's the point. Even though it was still available for anyone to see on the old profile posts, you had to take that extra step to see them. I think people are posting that info still thinking it's still a somewhat "secure" area and not realizing that it's going to show up on the public ticker.

Personally, I wouldn't post that kind of information (young kid's names & ages & likes) on a public ticker, but, as you say, others don't worry/think about it.
All one needs to do is click on New Profile Posts and up pops a list of every single profile post made.

profilemessages_zps34e9bdd4.png

Why can't someone just disable this feature completely? I feel very uncomfortable reading other people's private messages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter