For those folks driving!

For us, we are in central PA. According to Mapquest, it actually is almost the same milage. I really think I'm going to try to talk my hubby into it.

Yes, it would make much more sense for you to at least try that route since you're already that far west in PA. If I did the driving, I would probably take that route, but my husband is all about the most direct route regardless of traffic. D

Any favorite stops (hotel) just south of Jacksonville? Would like to drive Raleigh NC to JAcksonville area one evening and then have a short trip the next day. I’m pretty particular about hotels and traveling with a 9 month old. Thanks!

also thinking of driving from Gloucester County, NJ in August. I want to do a lot of night driving so it is when our two kids (6 and 2) will be asleep. DH doesn't want to drive at night.... ugh not sure what we are doing. But don't want to arrive exhausted either. I'm thinking maybe leave around 3 am on Thursday night and drive 12 hours to Charleston, SC and visit some family (but stay in a hotel) then leave around 7 am the next day (Friday) and arrive around 1 or 2. We don't check in until Saturday but might stay off property on Friday. But, if you are adding in 2 hotel stays it's almost the cost of flying.....

I'm from Central PA, so not close to you, but we drove home using this route and it was a piece of cake. Well, we stopped in Charlotte, so it was about halfway. We ended up driving home because our return flights were cancelled due to a massive snow storm that closed BWI for a few days. But we're planning to drive that route next time we go to Florida (this June).

We are thinking of this route also. I absolutely HATE the DC area; came through that way in March, and it was horrible! With all the construction, express lanes, etc. I do not do well with all the congestion (we are from a rural area with horse and buggies :) ). Does anyone have any experience? On Mapquest, it looks to be about the same milage....

When I've looked at google maps, the difference in mileage is negligible and you're not hitting DC traffic. When we drove home, we stopped in Charlotte for the night. I think our drive took about 15 hours total and part of that drive covered some pretty dodgy roads.

Well, the hubs and I compromised. We drove 81s to Virginia, then took 66E, 17S, then 95S. I really liked that route. For us, it worked really well, and was easy enough. We took about 12 hours to go from Central PA to Walterboro SC. I was happy with that.

Going home we are visiting family, so will be going different routes. Just hope we miss this week's snow/ice mess.

We are planning on leaving Syracuse, NY at 7 pm on Apr. 16th and driving straight through (DW and I will take shifts) and plan on checking in at hotel by 3pm on Sunday. We have done this drive many times but never straight through.
we are trying the drive from Syracuse on the 20th . I'm not sure if I can make it straight through like the good ole days ...lol

Going to drive to Florida for the first time from Ct on June 19 and driving back home June 28th. Originally we were going to drive straight thru but I think it may be better if we stop somewhere overnight. Hoping to get to Orlando no later then 1pm on the 20th. I figure we will do most of the driving on the 19th. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Feeling very overwhelmed about this.

Going to drive to Florida for the first time from Ct on June 19 and driving back home June 28th. Originally we were going to drive straight thru but I think it may be better if we stop somewhere overnight. Hoping to get to Orlando no later then 1pm on the 20th. I figure we will do most of the driving on the 19th. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Feeling very overwhelmed about this.

We have driven several times, and it isn't as bad as what I anticipate. I would recommend stopping and resting overnight. In March, my brother and I drove from Central PA to Sarasota, Fl straight through Friday. We had a memorial service Saturday and drove straight home Sunday. My brother greatly underestimated how tiring it is at our ages. It took me a week to recover! However, the drive itself was okay just long and boring. If you can miss the Washington mess, I would recommend it. Coming home, the traffic there was horrible and really slowed our progress.

Try to get out and stretch every two hours or so, that really helps. And eat sitting at a table, even for a few minutes. That really seems to help break up the trip, and then you aren't so tired and stiff.

It really is a lot cheaper, and then you have your car to run to Walmart, etc.

It'll be fine! :flower1:

We have driven several times, and it isn't as bad as what I anticipate. I would recommend stopping and resting overnight. In March, my brother and I drove from Central PA to Sarasota, Fl straight through Friday. We had a memorial service Saturday and drove straight home Sunday. My brother greatly underestimated how tiring it is at our ages. It took me a week to recover! However, the drive itself was okay just long and boring. If you can miss the Washington mess, I would recommend it. Coming home, the traffic there was horrible and really slowed our progress.

Try to get out and stretch every two hours or so, that really helps. And eat sitting at a table, even for a few minutes. That really seems to help break up the trip, and then you aren't so tired and stiff.

Thank you so much! It def makes sense to stop and eat at a table to give us a break.
Do you think the worst time to be in Washington would be between 7-930am? Trying to figure out the best time to leave to avoid rush hour.
I forgot that we can stop at Walmart and get water and food. Usually I have to ship it there because we fly. That’s def a plus.

Thank you so much! It def makes sense to stop and eat at a table to give us a break.
Do you think the worst time to be in Washington would be between 7-930am? Trying to figure out the best time to leave to avoid rush hour.
I forgot that we can stop at Walmart and get water and food. Usually I have to ship it there because we fly. That’s def a plus.

I'm not sure there is any good time, unless it's like 3:00 in the morning, which is we were down through! :rotfl2: But I would think that 7-9:30 would be the worst. Maybe someone else can chime in. Coming home on a Sunday afternoon was awful, it was stop and go. This trip we spent $46 on snacks and drinks at Walmart, that lasted for 9 days and we had leftovers for the ride home. The worst is just the boredom of the drive. :faint:

If you're coming from CT, you might want to look at the 84-81 route. For many in New England, it only adds about 60 miles, and you completely miss NYC, NJ and DC.

I just drove from Mass in November. With one other driver we split the driving and got as far as Savannah GA. We left at 10pm and this got us through all the major traffic areas without trouble. We arrived in Savannah around 4:30pm the next afternoon. The next day we left Savannah around 8am and got to Disney a bit after 1pm. We have made the drive many times and I have no trouble driving 10 hrs at a stretch but since you have not ever done it, I would suggest playing it by ear and see how you are as you go.

Anyone able to give me some thoughts on which route to drive in February, MA to WDW? We usually do 81/77 but concerned about ice in the mountain areas? I really don’t want to stick to 95, so many tolls. But is the inland route safe enough?

We’re driving down in June. Initially, I thought we’d drive straight through the trip there and take two days to drive back. It turns out I can take an extra day off from work, so we can split the trip down into two legs. I suggested to my husband we leave super early Friday and drive to Charleston, SC, stay the night, then finish the trip the next day. He seems determined to do it in one trip (mostly because he doesn’t want to pay for another hotel night).

We’re driving down in June. Initially, I thought we’d drive straight through the trip there and take two days to drive back. It turns out I can take an extra day off from work, so we can split the trip down into two legs. I suggested to my husband we leave super early Friday and drive to Charleston, SC, stay the night, then finish the trip the next day. He seems determined to do it in one trip (mostly because he doesn’t want to pay for another hotel night).

Personally, I'd split the drive down over two days and do the drive home in one day...no, actually, I'd do both drives over 2 days but if I was trying to save $100 on a hotel night, I'd do it on the way home. I'd prefer to not arrive at Disney already exhausted from driving straight through. I know a lot of people do it, but I've also seen people "complaining" about how tired they were for the first few days at Disney because of the long drive and trying to do it all in one day. Just putting it out there. Everyone needs to do what works best for their family, budget, etc.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd split the drive down over two days and do the drive home in one day...no, actually, I'd do both drives over 2 days but if I was trying to save $100 on a hotel night, I'd do it on the way home. I'd prefer to not arrive at Disney already exhausted from driving straight through. I know a lot of people do it, but I've also seen people "complaining" about how tired they were for the first few days at Disney because of the long drive and trying to do it all in one day. Just a putting it out there. Everyone needs to do what works best for their family, budget, etc.

I agree with this. We have also taken 2 days to get there on a few of our trips and I would definitely recommend that rather than taking two days to get home. The ride home isn’t too much fun IMO so I just want to get home and get it done with.

Anyone able to give me some thoughts on which route to drive in February, MA to WDW? We usually do 81/77 but concerned about ice in the mountain areas? I really don’t want to stick to 95, so many tolls. But is the inland route safe enough?
I'm in Pa. I usually will take 81/77/26/95. Winter time I watch the weather forecast all through the mountains in Va and Nc. area. If it's iffy at all, I take 81/66/rt17 /95. Rt17 takes you through Warrenton/Opal area. Will drop you on 95 just north of Richmond. Not sure which way you come down or if it's even an option for you but check it out.

Personally, I'd split the drive down over two days and do the drive home in one day...no, actually, I'd do both drives over 2 days but if I was trying to save $100 on a hotel night, I'd do it on the way home. I'd prefer to not arrive at Disney already exhausted from driving straight through. I know a lot of people do it, but I've also seen people "complaining" about how tired they were for the first few days at Disney because of the long drive and trying to do it all in one day. Just putting it out there. Everyone needs to do what works best for their family, budget, etc.

I agree with this. We have also taken 2 days to get there on a few of our trips and I would definitely recommend that rather than taking two days to get home. The ride home isn’t too much fun IMO so I just want to get home and get it done with.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Since we’re a family of six, we need either two rooms or a suite. I can book one with two queens and a foldout couch for about $175 or so. If we drive home in one stretch coming back, I have more time to recover before going to work. The kids don’t have to do squat when they get home. :)

This makes a lot of sense to me. Since we’re a family of six, we need either two rooms or a suite. I can book one with two queens and a foldout couch for about $175 or so. If we drive home in one stretch coming back, I have more time to recover before going to work. The kids don’t have to do squat when they get home. :)

We've also traveled as a family of 5 or 6 so we need a suite or 2 rooms. We rarely book our rooms ahead of time anymore (though we did for many years). We just drive until we're ready to stop for the night and pull in to a parking lot at an exit and look at Expedia or similar website and book a room from there. We're usually able to find a suite for $125 or less. Now, we do run the risk of not being able to find a suite if we don't book ahead, but we know we can always just book 2 rooms for the night if we need to.

We always schedule a "recovery" day for the day after we arrive home from Disney. :D

Any favorite stops (hotel) just south of Jacksonville? Would like to drive Raleigh NC to JAcksonville area one evening and then have a short trip the next day. I’m pretty particular about hotels and traveling with a 9 month old. Thanks!

I sometimes stay at Hampton Inn in Palm Coast, Fl. which is about 1.5 hours. past Jacksonville. From Palm Coast, it's about 2 hours to WDW.

Anyone here stop in Valdosta, GA when they drive down? Any hotel suggestions? We are coming down from Indianapolis, though not until the end of September. It'll be a 12 hour drive so we should get there about 6PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts