For those folks driving!

Hey guys, wanted to update you on our ride home. Took 81 to get back to NJ. A couple slow slow downs, but nothing like we experienced in the way down when we took 95!! Trucks in the fast lane are typically the biggest issue. It’s an hour longer, but we actually had a really nice ride home. Stopped for a long sit down dinner and kids slept rest of way. Left the Poly around 5:45 am and got home around 1:30 am. Thinking of doing 81 again for November’s ride home. For everyone with upcoming trips, have a safe, quick ride!!! Enjoy!!

We always take 81 from PA anymore. I can't stomach the thought of the DC area and that whole 95 route these days.:scared1:

We are flying from into Atlanta and then driving to Kissimmee. Where would be a good place to stop of dinner and a break? We land in Atlanta around 2pm.

From Atlanta to Kissimmee is about 6 1/2 hour drive
I suggest you get out of Atlanta as soon as possible rush hour will slow you down it’s not a good start to your road trip Macon's close to Atlanta its the biggest place until you get to Valdosta after Macon you have about a 4 hour ride it has lots of major restaurants available along 75 south Next cities are Perry and Tifton you’ll find fewer restaurants there until you hit Valdosta at the end of Georgia

We are flying from into Atlanta and then driving to Kissimmee. Where would be a good place to stop of dinner and a break? We land in Atlanta around 2pm.

OMG I’m so glad you posted this. I never thought of flying into Atlanta! The flights for April vacation week are so much cheaper flying into Atlanta then renting a car. My kids are much happier about driving 6 1/2 hours versus 21 hr drive from where we live.

Assuming you beat rush hour out of Atlanta (which I would hope you would, landing at 2pm), Valdosta would be the natural stop, a little over 3 hours from ATL depending on how fast you drive. We usually stop in Lake City, FL when we drive this stretch, but we're bypassing Atlanta at an earlier time than that. If you get in your rental car by 3pm you wouldn't hit Lake City until ~7:00-7:15, which is probably too late for dinner when you have kids in the car.

There's a whole lot of nothing (pecan stands, "adult" stores, Bible museums) between Macon and Valdosta on I-75, so it's one or the other.

Well looks like we are leaving Friday evening from Chicago to WDW and will be dodging a hurricane. We always take I-65 to I-75 down but given that hurricane Florence could be making landfall near Georgia or South Carolina I want to stay as far west of that as possible. There will be lots of crowding with evacuations and storms, flooding, etc. I am thinking now of taking I-65 through Alabama then cross over to I-10 into Florida.
Has anyone taken this route? I've never driving through Alabama and want to know what to expect. Stay safe out there!. Thanks.

I-65 turns southwest from Montgomery to go to Mobile. You'd be adding distance unless you're cutting through to 10 on a smaller highway like 231. Not sure what that's like but it looks pretty flat and empty like southern GA.

I don't think you'd be dealing with hurricane force winds or anything if you stuck to I-75, but maybe you could avoid driving in really heavy rain through Atlanta traffic if you skirt west. I don't see anything wrong with considering it. Google says it only adds 60 miles / one hour, so you're not out much to give it a try.

We are from SW Wisconsin and pull our fifth wheel down to Florida every year. The last three years we have gone through Alabama, 231, and picked up I10. It is a beautiful drive, certainly less stressful, though about and hour or so longer. We find it to be our new route.

Portions of interstate 95 are closed today in North Carolina and South Carolina.

I-95 is closed from exit 13 at Hwy. 74 to exit 22 at Fayetteville Rd. . The interstate is closed in both directions and North Carolina state officials say the closure is expected through Sept. 26.

I-95 north and southbound in Dillon County in South Carolina is also closed.

We are heading out Tuesday around 2pm-3pm from about 45 mins east of Toronto... due to hurricane Florence we decided to change routes southbound and take the I75 route.. we will take the 95/26/77 etc way home on the 29th/30... driving straight through on the way down and stopping one night on the way home

Atlanta to WDW is a nice easy drive IMO. I prefer to drive but my wife prefers to fly so you can guess who wins that debate.. :(

Still, we have driven many times whether it be to WDW, Daytona or Tampa... I always like to stop at exit 5 (Hwy 376) off I75. Next to last exit before getting into Florida and the last exit with any restaurants right off the interstate. They have chain places like Cracker Barrel, McDs, Zaxbys, Chic Fil A and a mom and pop place called Farm House Restaurant.. (southern food) really good! This will put you just past half way and is ideal, IMO... But where ever you stop, get out of Atlanta ASAP and don't stop until you get past Macon...

Portions of interstate 95 are closed today in North Carolina and South Carolina.

I-95 is closed from exit 13 at Hwy. 74 to exit 22 at Fayetteville Rd. . The interstate is closed in both directions and North Carolina state officials say the closure is expected through Sept. 26.

I-95 north and southbound in Dillon County in South Carolina is also closed.

We’re leaving from NY Sept 28th, hope 95 is open by then.

Just to let everyone know, another section of I-95 closed at 6:00 PM EST today due to flooding.

From the South Carolina Dept of Highways: "preparations have begun to close I-95 in both directions from Exit 164 (US 52) to Exit 181 (SC 38) due to the imminent threat of flooding at the Great Pee Dee River."

I95 exit site is still suggesting i4 to i95 to i26 in South Carolina to I 77 then 81 through VA. I am reading about 95 closing between certain exit numbers. Unfortunately I don’t know if the exits in SC that are closing are north of I26. I am hoping this route is still open. We are leaving tomorrow and I want to be safe. Thanks for your input.

Trying to decide which way to go next Saturday/Sunday.

Saturday is Indianapolis to Valdosta, GA.
Sunday is Valdosta to Disney.

I would like to minimize tolls if at all possible. I am comfortable with interstate travel and city travel as well as travel through the mountains if needed.

Any help would be appreciated!

I95 exit site is still suggesting i4 to i95 to i26 in South Carolina to I 77 then 81 through VA. I am reading about 95 closing between certain exit numbers. Unfortunately I don’t know if the exits in SC that are closing are north of I26. I am hoping this route is still open. We are leaving tomorrow and I want to be safe. Thanks for your input.

I just saw a post on another thread that said smooth sailing from i4-95-26-77-81-78. No slowdowns.

Trying to decide which way to go next Saturday/Sunday.

Saturday is Indianapolis to Valdosta, GA.
Sunday is Valdosta to Disney.

I would like to minimize tolls if at all possible. I am comfortable with interstate travel and city travel as well as travel through the mountains if needed.

Any help would be appreciated!

I can’t remember Indy to TN, but certainly once you get on I-75 at Chattanooga there’s no tolls to Valdosta, leaving your only toll concern as Ocala to Orlando on the Florida Turnpike. IIRC the whole stretch was around $5 each way, broken up in a few toll plazas (all cash friendly) making it not worth avoiding. You can get off at I-4W and then you have no more tolls to worry about.

If you really wanted to avoid the Turnpike, you could take FL-44 (one exit before the Turnpike) to US27 in Leesburg. 27 has a few stoplights here and there, particularly near Clermont, but it’s a pretty quick, low traffic, straightforward stretch to get down to US192.

NCDOT website says all of I-95 in NC is now open:

RALEIGH – Interstate 95 through North Carolina is now reopened to all traffic, Governor Roy Cooper announced Sunday night.

Floodwaters that covered the interstate following Hurricane Florence receded quicker than expected, allowing the N.C. Department of Transportation to complete the inspections and repairs needed to reopen the road.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-09-23-interstate-95-reopens.aspx

I can’t remember Indy to TN, but certainly once you get on I-75 at Chattanooga there’s no tolls to Valdosta, leaving your only toll concern as Ocala to Orlando on the Florida Turnpike. IIRC the whole stretch was around $5 each way, broken up in a few toll plazas (all cash friendly) making it not worth avoiding. You can get off at I-4W and then you have no more tolls to worry about.

If you really wanted to avoid the Turnpike, you could take FL-44 (one exit before the Turnpike) to US27 in Leesburg. 27 has a few stoplights here and there, particularly near Clermont, but it’s a pretty quick, low traffic, straightforward stretch to get down to US192.
I think we decided that $5 isn't worth saving something like 30 minutes on the drive. We're gonna go 75 but bypass the Turnpike.

Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!