For those that have done Africa OYO or with another company

aggiedog

DIS Veteran
Dd is really interested in Africa for 2020. As a family of 6, with 3 kids in college starting 2020, ABD and some of the other companies listed in the "other options" thread are really too expensive for us. I've read several places that South Africa is "easy to do on your own." Really? Then the review will say something about the lodges arranging trips, guides, etc, and that you just need to pick the right hotel.

We don't need fancy, but we'll have the 6 of us and two grandparents, so I really need as seemless as possible. I don't like the idea of figuring things out on the go with 7 people following behind me.

For those that have done anything similar, how does that all actually work? I'm not tied to SA either. I actually spent a month in Kenya in college and there were plenty of animals to see there too. I'm open to pretty much any safe and easy to manage country. Looking at some tour companies, I don't actually want to move every 2 days, nor spend lots of time in busses. I think 2 game lodges max, for a 10-14 day trip.

Last edited:
If you read the TA forum on S. Africa they will have the names of local agents that you can use to arrange your itinerary and offer support while you are there. I can tell you that there are plenty of companies / lodges that you can use that won't bust your budget (3 in college - OUCH!).

With 10 - 14 days I would recommend 3 lodges so that you can experience the different ecosystems. With your time frame I'd skip both Cape Town and Victoria Falls. Each adds in at least a half day of travel time, which takes away from the safari experience.

One lodge that is quite affordable, has a great location and outstanding reviews is Mala Mala. It's in Sabi Sands, therefore you are pretty much guaranteed to see leopards every day, likely several times a day. We were in Sabi Sands last year at Singita and I can tell you that the animal viewing is fantastic. We saw everything, plus leopards galore - with a kill in a tree, a 10 month old leopard cub with her mom, leopards mating (a few times), leopards just crossing the road, leopards sleeping - you get the idea. We also saw a pack of wild dogs a few times, including their 15+ puppies (which were adorable). Hyena cubs circling our vehicle, a young white lion (VERY rare), lions galore, rhinos, etc. I really can't recommend Sabi Sands enough. We have good friends who stayed at Mala Mala and raved about it.

There are many other ecosystems you can visit in South Africa as well. No shortage of places to visit!

For our trip in a month we are using Icon Expeditions. Our agent there has been extremely helpful and is VERY knowledgeable. They work with every budget and are safari experts. Tell them what you want to spend and they will work with you to design something that fits your budget. Rhino Africa is also highly rated.

From our experience and the limited time that we spent on the public roads in the parks, I'd not recommend that you do it on your own. If you can swing it, I would really recommend private lodges, where you can go off road (conditions / animals permitting). Also I'd try for lodges that share traversing rights with other lodges, have HUGE acreage and a "fenceless" border with Kruger. These things combined will give you the best animal viewing.

I am happy to answer any questions that you have.

We went to South Africa when my kids were 9 and 10 years old. My in-laws booked the trip through South African Airlines Vacations. We spent 3 days in Capetown (2 days we explored on our own and a third they had arranged a local guide to take us around). Some of the highlights there were seeing Table Mountain, the penguins, went out to Stellenbosch, and went to an ostrich farm. Then they arranged transport to the airport where we flew to Port Elizabeth and then were picked up and taken to the Woodbury Lodge, Amakhala Game Reserve. We spent 3 days there. The lodge is all-inclusive and includes the game drives, so you are totally fine without a guide to assist. Then we flew to a smaller airport (I forget the name) and stayed at Thornybush Game Preserve for another 3 days. Also all-inclusive with game drives. Altogether it was a 9 day trip and I think about $22,000 for 4 people, including airfare.

Thank you for your replies. I'll have to get dh to firm up a budget for me then I'll look at our options. It's really nice to know that we could do Africa for less than what some of those tours cost. I'm comfortable with arranging flights ourselves, and time in a city, but knowing there are package deals with transfers at the lodges helps a lot.

We have a trip planned for Tanzania with Alluring Africa. They customized our trip for us and we have a private guide for 10 days for $26,000 for our family of 5. You can give them your budget and they will plan an itinerary for you that stays within the budget. I'd love to do ABD and still hope to on a different trip, but South Africa would have cost us $50,000 before airfare for our family.

We have a trip planned for Tanzania with Alluring Africa. They customized our trip for us and we have a private guide for 10 days for $26,000 for our family of 5. You can give them your budget and they will plan an itinerary for you that stays within the budget. I'd love to do ABD and still hope to on a different trip, but South Africa would have cost us $50,000 before airfare for our family.

Same with go2africa - we are traveling with them next year. There are tons of companies out there who will customize for you. Just be upfront that you want 2 camps, 10-14 days and a rough budget and see what they come up with. It will be very helpful if you know what animals or sights you want to see first if you are open to location. Do you want more arid? Mountains? Village visits? Do you want any days in a city or by the coast? Are you a foodie and do you want drinks included? You can certainly choose all inclusive camps (which are more expensive) or go with mid/lower range and hire drivers to take you where you want to go. The agencies can do all this for you, or you can arrange it all yourself based off reviews you find.

Same with go2africa - we are traveling with them next year. There are tons of companies out there who will customize for you. Just be upfront that you want 2 camps, 10-14 days and a rough budget and see what they come up with. It will be very helpful if you know what animals or sights you want to see first if you are open to location. Do you want more arid? Mountains? Village visits? Do you want any days in a city or by the coast? Are you a foodie and do you want drinks included? You can certainly choose all inclusive camps (which are more expensive) or go with mid/lower range and hire drivers to take you where you want to go. The agencies can do all this for you, or you can arrange it all yourself based off reviews you find.

These are good suggestions. Another thing to consider is that parts of SA require malaria meds and others don't if you travel certain times of year. We went in our summer, which is their winter, and managed to avoid places that would require the malaria meds. But it was also quite chilly in Capetown and in the more southern game reserves. It is nice to hit up two different reserves in different parts of the country for variety.

All very good points, thanks so much. We have laid back beach vacation for a week this July and I'm hoping I can get the kids to pick what they want to do, or at least get a first, second third choice trip list. A lot depends on income, as my company is getting a new partner this year. Finances could be great, or maybe not, so I figure if we start thinking 2 yrs out, we'll know what to aim for once our financials play out. In my fantasy, the kids (19-13) sit around poring over travel brochures and websites, deciding where they want to go. Reality will probably be "I'll look at it later, mom" followed by arguments. LOL

Aggiedog - I had to comment on your comment about how they won't help plan. My family is the same. They don't like to join in on the planning until the 11th hour and then are upset that we aren't going to do something. Every time. Same conversation - remember when I asked you to look at the book/website/brochures, but you didn't. Someone had to decide, so I did.

For our upcoming family vacation to Washington DC, I decided to make them each fill out a survey of the top things that they want to see in different categories (monuments, Smithsonian museums, governmental buildings, etc.). That way, it isn't all on me. To adapt that for Africa, maybe it would be something like listing out different locations or animals and see what the group is most interested in.

Good luck planning.

Aggiedog - I had to comment on your comment about how they won't help plan. My family is the same. They don't like to join in on the planning until the 11th hour and then are upset that we aren't going to do something. Every time. Same conversation - remember when I asked you to look at the book/website/brochures, but you didn't. Someone had to decide, so I did.

For our upcoming family vacation to Washington DC, I decided to make them each fill out a survey of the top things that they want to see in different categories (monuments, Smithsonian museums, governmental buildings, etc.). That way, it isn't all on me. To adapt that for Africa, maybe it would be something like listing out different locations or animals and see what the group is most interested in.

Good luck planning.
This is hilarious! My family does not help at all!

My husband and I were fighting last night because I sent him an Outlook Calendar update with potential dates (after we discussed them). I moved forward with planning only for me to notice something on his calendar that conflicted. When I asked him about it, he said, "Oh yeah, I can't go then." UGH! If you find a way to overcome this, let me know.

A survey is a great idea. I do get some ideas from the kids, but they are frequently not helpful. DS wanted a helicopter ride over Paris (for 6?, I'll admit I didn't even try to price that.) DD2 wanted to sit in a small French town for 2 weeks and watch locals (while ds and my Dad went insane from boredom, or drove the rest of us crazy.) DD1 wanted to backpack Japan, while 3 of us have 4 knees replaced.) DH says he has no preferences, but is a total diva and hates ANY uncertainty - he wants to know exactly how/who/where/what. LOL

So practical input would be nice.

I am the trip planner, travel agent, and local guide. I'm getting tired of that and would like to hand over the reins to a professional, at least the in country portion.

Dd is really interested in Africa for 2020. As a family of 6, with 3 kids in college starting 2020, ABD and some of the other companies listed in the "other options" thread are really too expensive for us. I've read several places that South Africa is "easy to do on your own." Really? Then the review will say something about the lodges arranging trips, guides, etc, and that you just need to pick the right hotel.

We don't need fancy, but we'll have the 6 of us and two grandparents, so I really need as seemless as possible. I don't like the idea of figuring things out on the go with 7 people following behind me.

For those that have done anything similar, how does that all actually work? I'm not tied to SA either. I actually spent a month in Kenya in college and there were plenty of animals to see there too. I'm open to pretty much any safe and easy to manage country. Looking at some tour companies, I don't actually want to move every 2 days, nor spend lots of time in busses. I think 2 game lodges max, for a 10-14 day trip.

We went to South Africa when my kids were 9 and 10 years old. My in-laws booked the trip through South African Airlines Vacations. We spent 3 days in Capetown (2 days we explored on our own and a third they had arranged a local guide to take us around). Some of the highlights there were seeing Table Mountain, the penguins, went out to Stellenbosch, and went to an ostrich farm. Then they arranged transport to the airport where we flew to Port Elizabeth and then were picked up and taken to the Woodbury Lodge, Amakhala Game Reserve. We spent 3 days there. The lodge is all-inclusive and includes the game drives, so you are totally fine without a guide to assist. Then we flew to a smaller airport (I forget the name) and stayed at Thornybush Game Preserve for another 3 days. Also all-inclusive with game drives. Altogether it was a 9 day trip and I think about $22,000 for 4 people, including airfare.

I am planning to take my family of four (2 adults, 2 college kids 21 & 19) on a budget safari in South Africa. We chose South Africa after a ton of research because the self drive aspect makes it the most budget friendly safari destination. We are coming from the East Coast of the US. DS will be graduating from college and I really want to do this trip before he starts his full time career. I am shooting for early June or late July/early August of 2019. I would like to avoid the SA school holidays if possible. I am on a pretty tight budget, so luxury lodges are not on the agenda. However, I do want to have a varied safari experience - part self drive, part guided, part tent, part special lodging. Based on my research, here are my thoughts:

Budget : $10,000 US (pretty tiny based on the two budgets above)
Length: 12 days
Flights: This is half my budget! Fly into Johannesburg and drive rental car to the Hazyview area. May spend 1 night in Johannesburg on front end and back end, depends on flight schedules.
Lodging: 7 nights at self catering timeshare apartment in the Hazyview area (I don't include this in my budget because we trade for it through RCI. We are considering Sanbonani, Kruger Park Lodge (both at the Phabeni gate) or Burchells Bush Lodge (at the Paul Kruger gate), 1 or 2 nights in Kruger Park at Tamboti Tent Camp (this is a SANParks public national park camp and must be booked 11 months in advance), 2 nights at either Shindzela in Timbavati Reserve or nThambo in Klaserie Reserve or Umkembe in Sabi Sands Reserve (all are private all inclusive safari camps), 1 or 2 nights in Johannesburg (to be determined by flight schedule).

Plan: Kruger Park - Guided Sunrise Game Drive and a Guided Sunset Game Drive on two different days from the closest Kruger gate mixed in with some self drives of the Southern Kruger area. We'd also have a rest day, play some golf, and take a day to do the Panoramic Route. At the end of the week, we'd self drive safari up to Tamboti Tent Camp for a night or 2 and take a morning Guided Bush Walk from Orpen, then self drive safari out of Kruger to the private all inclusive camp we choose for 2 nights of semi luxury. From here we'd drive back to Johannesburg and depending on flights, maybe spend a night there.

I've budgeted about $5000 for flights, $700 for rental car, $1500 for food and gas, $500 cushion for whatever (entertainment, golf, etc), $1900 for lodging (not including timeshare), $400 for guided drives and walks, $350 for Kruger park entry fees.

Now I just need to keep saving up the money, which I'm finding hard to do with two kids in college! My booking windows will be opening in a couple of months.

Last edited:
Great break down, thank you! We're going to start making plans in July, when I get everyone together. I'll book mark this. :)

Aggiedog - I will admit that my survey was limited to things that I would actually be okay doing, whether it be from budgetary concerns (which are pretty easy in DC, where so many activities are free), or time, or location, or what not. It was definitely NOT an exhaustive list of all that could be done in the DC area. I also would have to admit to some subtle influences on the things that I did include on the survey to help with the results that I wanted. (For example, the kids love the National Treasure movies, so I highlighted the places that were included in those movies that I wanted to show them anyway, like the Library of Congress and the National Archives.)

Anyway, good luck on your Africa trip. I'd love to do it some day too (after getting to all 50 states and completing the Grand Slam of Disney Parks).

Great break down, thank you! We're going to start making plans in July, when I get everyone together. I'll book mark this. :)
Check out the SANParks website and play around on there. It is the South Africa National Parks site. They have all types of lodging inside of Kruger Park. Lots of their rest camps are air conditioned, have a store for provisions and some have restaurants. All include sheets, blankets, towels, and cookware. They are very economically priced and have self catering kitchen facilities, so you can cook some meals if you want to. You can also make advanced reservations for guided game drives and guided game walks from your rest camp through SANParks. You won't be waited on hand and foot like at the luxury safari camps, but it is not bare bones either. It is a very cost effective way to do a safari.

We are doing a mix of 1) a timeshare property (with some guided SANParks game drives and some self drives), 2) a SANParks tent rest camp (with guided walks), and 3) a real all inclusive safari camp (it is a budget friendly one - strongly leaning towards Shindzela).

Here is a great post from TripAdvisor about the differences between Kruger Park and private game reserves. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...te_Reserves_and_KNP-Kruger_National_Park.html

Have fun planning!!!

Last edited:
Update:

I have my timeshare trade request in with RCI, but I'm also looking at back up plans. I can book Burchell's Bush Lodge directly for only about $380 more than my maintenance fee/RCI trade fee cost (only about $100 more if I only book 5 days vs 7). So that's an option. Only downside is that the maintenance fee portion has already been paid, so a timeshare trade would only cost me $230 out of this trip budget. I also found info about opening a Marriott Rewards credit card with a HUGE sign up bonus that would let me get 2 rooms for 5 or 6 nights at the Protea Paul Kruger Gate hotel. I am seriously considering this because I'd be able to pay off the required 3 month spend to earn the points with cash each month if we planned well.

I've also been playing around with flights. I probably won't be able to travel hack any free flights. But DS and DH really want to go to Europe instead of South Africa. DD and I really want to go to SA instead of Europe. Soooooo I think I can make everyone happy by doing a 2-3 day layover in London on our way to SA. (I got this idea from reading @Cousin Orville 's Adventures by Disney SA trip report!) Turns out that cuts the cost of the flights way down as well, so it's a win win! I'm reworking the budget to include the hotel stay and tour costs in London. If my timeshare trade comes through, I may use the Marriott points for London instead of SA. All the waiting is killing me!!!

Update:

I started booking my accommodations and some of my game drives this past Sunday. I didn't want the SANParks Tamboti Tent Camp to book up before my timeshare trade came through. The SANParks reservation window opened up for July 2019 last week. I watched June 2019 get fully booked up for the tent size we need really quickly, so I had to get on it. I double checked the availability at Shindzela right before I booked Tamboti. If booked on line you pay in full, but it is cancellable this far out. You can reserve without full payment over the phone. I got my two nights in a family tent for 4 and also booked a sunset game drive from the main Orpen camp. Then I booked Shindzela for two nights (which requires a non refundable 30% down payment).

I am not sure the timeshare trade will come through for the exact week I now need, so I came up with an alternate plan. DH opened a Chase Marriott Premiere Plus credit card with a 100,000 rewards point bonus with a $5000 3 months spend. I then reserved 2 rooms for 5 rewards nights (level 2, 10,000 points/night, 5th night free) at the Protea Hazyview Hotel. I may end up switching to the Protea Paul Kruger Gate Hotel if my dates become available there. Both hotels are just outside the gate of Kruger Park (20 min to Phabeni Gate for the first hotel, 5 min to Paul Kruger Gate for the second hotel). We will book a game drive or two either through the SANParks Park and Ride, which leaves from the Phabeni Gate and the Paul Kruger Gate (uses big covered trucks, very economical) or prebook through Kurt Safari (open jeeps, about $90 pp).

I also booked our hotel for 2 nights in London. The hotel is non refundable. Because I'm starting to prepay some expenses and hit some nonrefundable deposits, I purchased trip insurance for all the prepaid nonrefundable amounts. Once I book flights, I'll up the trip insurance amount to cover those too. I used insure my trip. I looked into just using the travel coverage on the Marriott card, but it didn't have good trip interruption coverage, and I also wanted medical coverage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter