For those who own a Apple TV

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
Can you watch tv shows and movies you purchased on iTunes on it just thinking it would be nice to watch it on something bigger then a iPhone

I'm not big on apple, but my DBF is. We have an apple tv set up and I haven't had any issues watching movies etc. that he's already purchased on his phone. I'm pretty sure that as long as you enter your itunes info, you can access anything that you've purchased before, on any other apple product.

Can you watch tv shows and movies you purchased on iTunes on it just thinking it would be nice to watch it on something bigger then a iPhone
Yes. If you are logged in under your iTunes/iCloud account you can watch anything you've purchased on any Apple device. You can also rent movies/tv and download apps for TV programs. I really like mine. I have the 4th generation w/Siri. I love being able to dictate my passwords to her or tell her to do things like turn close caption on or off or to shut down the Apple TV itself.

Yes, you can do that with an Apple TV. Anything you've bought in the iTunes store (TV, movies, music) is available for you to play. If you have an iPad or iPhone, you can also send a video from your iPad or iPhone to the Apple TV. For instance, if someone e-mails you a funny YouTube video and you're looking at it on your phone, you can click a little icon under the video and it will play on your TV screen.

I just bought the latest version last week, and it's a huge improvement over the previous one.

Basically, instead of choosing an app (say, Netflix), and poking around for something to watch in that app, you search across apps. You can speak to the remote and say something like "Show me Marvel movies," and it will display a list of movies by Marvel that are in the apps on your Apple TV. You pick "Captain America: Civil War," and it asks if you want to rent it from iTunes, or watch it on Netflix. In other words, you tell it what you want to watch, and it finds it for you. You can also search by an actor, or a director. I'm still learning what you can ask for. :)

Yes, you can do that with an Apple TV. Anything you've bought in the iTunes store (TV, movies, music) is available for you to play. If you have an iPad or iPhone, you can also send a video from your iPad or iPhone to the Apple TV. For instance, if someone e-mails you a funny YouTube video and you're looking at it on your phone, you can click a little icon under the video and it will play on your TV screen.

I just bought the latest version last week, and it's a huge improvement over the previous one.

Basically, instead of choosing an app (say, Netflix), and poking around for something to watch in that app, you search across apps. You can speak to the remote and say something like "Show me Marvel movies," and it will display a list of movies by Marvel that are in the apps on your Apple TV. You pick "Captain America: Civil War," and it asks if you want to rent it from iTunes, or watch it on Netflix. In other words, you tell it what you want to watch, and it finds it for you. You can also search by an actor, or a director. I'm still learning what you can ask for. :)
I need to download more apps so I can do that.

I need to download more apps so I can do that.

I think that there are some apps that aren't tied into that search functionality, so it may not find everything on every app. I've seen it work with Netflix and Hulu, and some of the big network apps.

I think that there are some apps that aren't tied into that search functionality, so it may not find everything on every app. I've seen it work with Netflix and Hulu, and some of the big network apps.
I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Last edited:
Do you have to have a iPhone or iPad for Apple TV to work my mom is afraid that the Apple TV won't talk to either because both devices are over 5 years old but I thought I read somewhere that all you need is a iTunes account for Apple tv

Do you have to have a iPhone or iPad for Apple TV to work my mom is afraid that the Apple TV won't talk to either because both devices are over 5 years old but I thought I read somewhere that all you need is a iTunes account for Apple tv
No, you don't. It comes with its own remote control, and for the Apple TV 4, you can even give audio input through the remote.

You're right, the Apple TV talks to your iTunes account do its thing. It doesn't need an iPhone or an iPad to find and play the TV shows or movies or videos or music you've bought from iTunes. You can download apps to the Apple TV and sign into your Netflix or Hulu accounts and pick out shows and movies to rent and watch with just the remote. No other devices needed.

That said, you'll get some extra features if your iPhone or iPad are recent enough to support them.

1) You can get a free Remote app that'll let you control the Apple TV from your iPhone. The only real advantage this gives you is that you can use the keyboard on your phone to enter passwords and searches, which is a little easier than using the Apple TV to do it, but you're not really missing out on anything big if you can't do this.

2) There's a "TV" app you can get for your iPad and iPhone that lets you search for shows and movies and queue them up to watch on your TV. Again, you can do the same thing right on the Apple TV, so not a big loss.

3) More recent iPhones and iPads have a feature called AirPlay that lets you send a video you're watching on your iPhone or iPad to the Apple TV. That might or might not work on your iPhone or iPad, depending on how old they are.

Okay going a different route we are connecting the iPad to the tv via hmi cable and my mom is getting me a fire stick what is a fire stick I tried looking it up with no luck

Okay going a different route we are connecting the iPad to the tv via hmi cable and my mom is getting me a fire stick what is a fire stick I tried looking it up with no luck

It's Amazon's (much cheaper) version of the Apple TV. If you have an Amazon Prime account, you'll get some free content. You won't be able to access any of your iTunes content via the Fire Stick, but you'll be able to do that on the iPad that you've cabled to the TV. You will need to buy a Digital AV adapter to connect the HDMI cable to the iPad.

I have done tons of research and I can't figure out well I be able to access my iTunes from a remote once I hook up my iPad or well I have to do that manually

I have done tons of research and I can't figure out well I be able to access my iTunes from a remote once I hook up my iPad or well I have to do that manually

I don't think so, no. I don't know of any way to control an iPad with a remote.

Plugging the iPad into the TV just makes the screen of the iPad display on the TV. You still have to use the iPad's touchscreen to operate it.

Did your mom say why she wants to get a fire stick? It just seems to me that a lot of your media (movies, music, etc) is from Apple, not Amazon.

I don't think so, no. I don't know of any way to control an iPad with a remote.

Plugging the iPad into the TV just makes the screen of the iPad display on the TV. You still have to use the iPad's touchscreen to operate it.

Did your mom say why she wants to get a fire stick? It just seems to me that a lot of your media (movies, music, etc) is from Apple, not Amazon.

She thinks it would use data then I would get in trouble with my dad

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!